Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model Output Discussion 29th December - Into mid-Winter.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

Can't say that I'm entirely convinced by that run; in particular regarding the uppers (entrained within the circulation of the Orthodox Xmas Day LP) of around -5C: not only have most other runs indicated uppers of a couple of degrees lower, at least, but I cannot abide rain & sleet.

Like the end though - that'll do nicely!:santa-emoji:

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy disruptive snowfall.
14 minutes ago, chionomaniac said:

The GFS 6Z ends up with the mother of all Scandi highs that extends right into Siberia delivering the most frigid cold pool right into the heart of Europe. If that did happen........

DO you not think though that the inability to get the blocking further to our North to enable the really frigid air into the UK is because of the stratospheric PV being sat over the pole, if it was already displaced further over the other side of the pole then......

Posted

As others have stated, the real differences start as early as T96 on the UK run, leading to a totally different outcome T120 onwards, I guess we'll know more by 1830hrs this evening when ECM hits 120, but I'm not digging out the snow boots yet. FI at 96 for me!

But bloody fantastic eye candy being served up this morning in ECM and GFS, hard to believe they'd both be wrong at this range, but we've seen it before. As ever, more runs needed... And maybe a little Prozac!

• Like 4

Posted
10 minutes ago, feb1991blizzard said:

DO you not think though that the inability to get the blocking further to our North to enable the really frigid air into the UK is because of the stratospheric PV being sat over the pole, if it was already displaced further over the other side of the pole then......

The GEFS have it closer to hudsons than the pole later week 2. it does look likely to displace to the Canadian side due to the wave 1 forcing upcoming. 

• Like 2

Posted

As you would expect the vast majority of ens members from the 06z have cold and snow at t192 along with a good to strong Greenland high many go on to develop easterlies and or cold and snow 

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy disruptive snowfall.
7 minutes ago, bluearmy said:

The GEFS have it closer to hudsons than the pole later week 2. it does look likely to displace to the Canadian side due to the wave 1 forcing upcoming. 

Slightly yes, I noticed a warming coming in from our side lately, would like to see the Altantic ridge further North though, at least up to 30 mb.

Posted
4 minutes ago, Summer Sun said:

GFS 00z para gives 2 cold snaps the 2nd quite possibly the coldest one

gfs-1-66.pnggfs-1-84.png

gfs-1-180.pnggfs-1-204.pnggfs-1-228.png

In the context of the thread, that was a post I found very confusing until I looked at your charts quite closely gavin. This weekend is no longer being discussed and the gfsp 00z run is one of the disappointments of the 00z output in general as it flattens through week 2. 

Edited by bluearmy
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and heatwave

It appears we now have a waiting game for UKMO 12z which I understand will come out between 1700-1800 (GMT)

We want it to go towards the ECM ,GFS solution

Yesterday the GFS 12Z was worse then the GFS 6z (stella) and GFs 18z not great (relative). Today The GFS 0z and 6z are a lot better

ECM good UKMO not feeling the love post T96 ? Although GFS 12z may have a word before.

download.jpg

Edited by stewfox
  • Like 6

Posted
5 minutes ago, stewfox said:

It appears we now have a waiting game for UKMO 12z which I understand will come out between 1700-1800 (GMT)

We want it to go towards the ECM ,GFS solution

Yesterday the GFS 12Z was worse then the GFS 6z (stella) and GFs 18z not great (relative). Today The GFS 0z and 6z are a lot better

ECM good UKMO not feeling the love post T96 ? Although GFS 12z may have a word before.

download.jpg

UKMO 1530-1630

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and heatwave
1 minute ago, Ali1977 said:

UKMO 1530-1630

Is this link now out of date ?

Posted
5 minutes ago, IDO said:

Well the D8 GEFS now 100% support for the second trough to drop with a significant westward correction compared to the 0z suite.

It will be a bit of a disappointment if we don't get some snow out of this, the means:

gens-21-1-192.pnggens-21-0-192 (2).png

From there on, great uncertainty as to how the pattern develops, but remaining colder than average for the 5 days after at least.

That's very pleasing to see! Hopefully the UKMO will back off later.

• Like 1

Posted

Nothing mild showing on the GEFS for the UK, but they are more split in the medium term outcome than the 0z and less members going for deeper cold into the UK towards the end.

By the way, since when did day 15 charts cause so much excitement here? :-)

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

ECM weeklies keep temps below average till the 22nd the odd less cold spell can't, of course, be ruled out during this period but overall it looks chilly

meTz20161229_0000+26400.pngmeTz20161229_0000+43200.pngmeTz20161229_0000+60000.png

• Like 2