BlueHedgehog074

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Sun ,Snow and Cold
3 hours ago, itsnowjoke said:

When is this event non event meant to start approximately 

I'll not miss it , the rain always wakes me up rattling against the window

• Like 1

Posted

Well I've just put my new Xmas present up a WearherRanger it's saying 1.3oC we never get snow but I'm forever hopeful!

• Thanks 1

Posted
3 minutes ago, Chris harry said:

I'm about 108m asl.

OK chris-

Your altitude will help you - hopefully it will stay as snow for as long as possible and the thaw will be gradual rather than washed away in an hour!!

This is one of those events where i wish the house move i am doing in the next years has already happened- i feel places 300m plus in our locale will get a good 3 or 4 inches !

• Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot summers, Clod snowy Winters

Just ro put it out there. NMM has all snow event and then snow sat morning aswell

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer heat and winter cold, and a bit of snow when on offer
1 minute ago, Mokidugway said:

Anyone at 3000 metres will get snow ,guaranteed.

Is your 0 key sticking again Moki or are you already in the Andes

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - snow, Irish sea convection. Summer - thunderstorms, hot sunny days

3.3°C now, falling slowly. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer heat and winter cold, and a bit of snow when on offer
1 minute ago, Mokidugway said:

I've got lag on keyboard tonight for some reason :sorry:

A couple of beers should do the trick

Posted
5 minutes ago, northwestsnow said:

BBC/METO apps continue to look poor!

Moorside @300m got sleet by 8am!!

and thats 300m!! 

I wouldn’t worry about bbc/met automated forecasts.... radar and looking out the window type situation....been here before... marginal situations bring surprises.... sometimes the best snowfalls.... 

• Like 2

Posted
  • Location: Abingdon - 55m ASL - Capital of The Central Southern England Corridor of Winter Convectionlessness
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Snow>Freezing Fog; Summer: Sun>Daytime Storms
  • Location: Abingdon - 55m ASL - Capital of The Central Southern England Corridor of Winter Convectionlessness

I've been visiting Bramhall around this time of year for almost 20 years and I have only ever seen proper lying snow once (December 2009) and even then it was leftovers from a fall before I arrived. It's around 80 metres ASL and well inland, so I can't understand why some of the higher resolution model outputs have no snow at all here (and in some cases have none on the coast). My plan is to visit Lyme Park, but ridiculously the BBC 'Find a Forecast' has no snow for there either - it's at least 200 metres ASL for goodness sake.

Edited by The Enforcer

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snowy winters,warm summers and Storms
1 minute ago, WillinGlossop said:

I wouldn’t worry about bbc/met automated forecasts.... radar and looking out the window type situation....been here before... marginal situations bring surprises.... sometimes the best snowfalls.... 

Exactly

My app shows 0500 Heavy rain 0c and then at 0800 4c and Heavy snow:fool:

C.S

Posted

Bbc and met apps have me down for rain most of the day at 300m in moorside Oldham 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snowy winters,warm summers and Storms
1 minute ago, Stratocumulus perlucidus said:

Midnight sat morningCE4A04DB-74CB-4748-AAFA-87D271B1CAAF.thumb.png.86e21698f432a71ec6055c77dfd4d380.png

LOL

I Will personally eat Back Tracks socks if that happened,On second thoughts... 

C.S

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - snow, Irish sea convection. Summer - thunderstorms, hot sunny days

Wow temp plummeting all of a sudden, wind must be starting to back at last. 

• Like 1

Posted

I see there is a discussion on  TWO onNW England- well, IMHO its a poorly placed for snow for a number of reasons,number 1 and absolutely the most critical is the Irish sea- yes it can deliver precip when the conditions are right- but it also massively modifies any weather coming from a westerly source- you only have to look at the RAINTODAY temp maps to see West of Manchester is always, without fail a good 2 degress or so milder than area close to the pennines like Oldham etc-

A couple of degrees wont matter too much if the 850s are -8 or below but how many times do we see 850s of -8 or below from a westerly or even north westerly source?

Ive also noticed on radar watching duty the number of times the precip will be blue/green (sleet / rain ) near, or 10 miles from the coast and then as you run into the colder air it turns red (sno), again, the modifying effect of the Irish sea.

Altitude- most of western parts of NW England is low lying (below 150m asl), we can say for every hundred meters you go 'up' you can knock half a degree off the temps of places @ sea level, when you go up 300m,say around moorside oldham , your straight away 1 and half degrees colder , add in the irish sea and your talking a good 2 or maybe 3 and half degrees difference, and that really is a big difference.

Easterlies- again, the east of the region is favoured in this situation-esp easterlies/north easterlies, south easterlies are pretty naff for all of us.

Basically , the best direction for western parts if the region is NNW/Northerly, places like Liverpool etc can do really quite well in this setup.

Thats my opinion anyway- i think its a very poor part of the country for snow- obv there are variations on the theme - IMBY a north easterly is absolutely the best bet- there is little in the way of hills to block the showers coming in from that direction, its noticeable that the poor returns over the last few years in my back yard have coincided with the almost complete disappearance of NE winds.