Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model output discussion - The Hunt For Cold

Paul
Message added by Paul

If you're hunting for cold potential in the model output, this thread is for you. But if you'd like to look more widely at the models, please head over to the general model discussion thread.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Northeasterly Blizzard and sub zero temperatures.
13 hours ago, carinthian said:

This picture from ECM at 240 t looks like classic Atlantic frontal divergence against the high pressure block to the east. Forecast 300mb winds likely to slide the trough SE into Europe which should allow a colder surface flow into the British Isles. 

C

ECMOPEU12_240_1.png

Morning all to all you hunters of the cold. ECM solid again in its output with-in the day 10 time frame and looks the best route to colder surface flow  into your part of the world. From my perspective , I like that upper cold air getting near to the Eastern Alps(snow) Looks like frontal divergence zone to develop near to the British Isles. Ideally we would like to see a SEly dig. The GFS latest run less so as their 300mb upper air pattern is showing less of a split in this run. Will get an update from our experts over here on Monday morning, but I think this weekends runs will now start to shed some light if the powerful block is going to shows its hand and start dictating the weather .

C

ECMOPEU00_240_1.png

Edited by carinthian
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

I know it's at T+384 but, I think, there might be a small trend (toward some sort of favourably-orientated Atlantic high) developing later in the month? Nothing definite of course, at such a distance, but teeny-weeny hints of a possible attack from the northwest...Nowt to lose any sleep over yet, IMO. At the same time, however, any major advection of deep cold into Russia seems to have been 'put on hold' for the time being...?

Netweather GFS Image

All change with the 06Z no doubt!

• Like 1

Posted
54 minutes ago, Ed Stone said:

I know it's at T+384 but, I think, there might be a small trend (toward some sort of favourably-orientated Atlantic high) developing later in the month? Nothing definite of course, at such a distance, but teeny-weeny hints of a possible attack from the northwest...Nowt to lose any sleep over yet, IMO. At the same time, however, any major advection of deep cold into Russia seems to have been 'put on hold' for the time being...?

Netweather GFS Image

I’m struggling to see any trends from the GFS in FI recently, it’s consistently inconsistent!  ECM however is holding onto the signal for a strong Scandi high and sees the Euro cold pool advancing west after day 10 - so that looks like the best trend at the moment. 

6FE321E1-7AC7-41E9-B0E9-33787C0D657F.png

5FBC5B90-4351-4103-8986-25F91696658E.gif

Edited by Tim Bland
  • Like 3

Posted
23 minutes ago, Tim Bland said:

I’m struggling to see any trends from the GFS in FI recently, it’s consistently inconsistent!  ECM however is holding onto the signal for a strong Scandi high and sees the Euro cold pool advancing west after day 10 - so that looks like the best trend at the moment. 

6FE321E1-7AC7-41E9-B0E9-33787C0D657F.png

5FBC5B90-4351-4103-8986-25F91696658E.gif

I tend to agree with you, Tim, hence my liberal use of italics...Though, surely, we can't remain in this apparent 'no man's land' for ever?

Edited by Ed Stone
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunderstorms,

It's difficult to pick out a trend when the GFS is being woefully inconsistent. Even the ensembles don't offer much light with a massive spread in the extended, though there are a few more members trended cold than we've seen in recent runs.

352081229_GFSENS.thumb.png.c8b889846a80b9be6dcceff0026611f8.png

The ECM 12z clusters from yesterday not really offering much clue forward at the moment, either

ECM.thumb.png.768d05c32e9ddedf6b39bc5fd3e04b06.png

No real clear signal amongst that with lots of different options on the table. Heigh rises towards Scandinavia look increasingly likely but where these heights sit exactly and how cold it'll be is anyones guess. I'm still expecting things to turn colder, but you'd have a hard time backing that up looking at this mornings model outputs. 

Shannon entropy must be at an all time high.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Posted

A pattern that's notoriously hard to shift, once established...

Netweather GFS Image

And where do things go from here?

Netweather GFS Image

Edited by Ed Stone
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy disruptive snowfall.
4 minutes ago, Ed Stone said:

A pattern that's notoriously hard to shift, once established...

Netweather GFS Image

Was it not you who posted a similar pattern on the retro charts the other day from either Nov 78 or 62 i think, your reasoning being that you don't buy into the need to avoid zonality in November to achieve success in winter proper.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunderstorms,

Better amplification towards Scandi on this run at 150, lets see if the GFS can make it

gfsnh-0-150.thumb.png.433bb95061683e3ba22543edc7b6fd44.png

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: SNOW AND FREEZING TEMPS
2 minutes ago, Daniel Smith said:

Better amplification towards Scandi on this run at 150, lets see if the GFS can make it

gfsnh-0-150.thumb.png.433bb95061683e3ba22543edc7b6fd44.png

Yep thought it achally looked better than the ECM at T144 . 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Southerly tracking LPs, heavy snow. Also 25c and calm
1 hour ago, Ed Stone said:

Netweather GFS Image

Indeed Pete and 06z UpTo 172 has much better orientation of Scandi HP developing...typical.  Like you I have a niggle

BFTP

• Like 2

Posted
13 minutes ago, feb1991blizzard said:

Was it not you who posted a similar pattern on the retro charts the other day from either Nov 78 or 62 i think, your reasoning being that you don't buy into the need to avoid zonality in November to achieve success in winter proper.

Well you don't, so I don't get your point, feb: we have what we have? 

Netweather GFS Image

Posted
1 minute ago, Ed Stone said:

Well you don't, so I don't get your point, feb: we have what we have? 

Netweather GFS Image

because you said they are notoriously hard to shift Ed!!   so surely going by what you had said previously, your surmising of the effects of the chart you just posted should have been 'Does't really matter about this chart because it can have no effect on patterns well into the future and in a months time we could be staring at another 1947 scenario'

• Like 2

Posted

Good WAA on this run, could be a stonker coming up here (synoptically speaking)

And it is!!!!!

gfsnh-0-348_dfz4.png

Edited by feb1991blizzard
  • Like 3

Posted
3 minutes ago, feb1991blizzard said:

If we could get to this position on the 6z then December a real goer.

That NH profile at the end of the gfs op is wintry nirvana incoming .......  look at the Canadian block and Asian vortex ......sadly, it won’t verify .......

Edited by bluearmy
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Posted
Just now, bluearmy said:

That NH profile at the end of the gfs op is wintry nirvana incoming .......  it won’t verify .......

Are the D10-15 of the 0z EPS poor?

• Like 1

Posted
2 minutes ago, feb1991blizzard said:

Are the D10-15 of the 0z EPS poor?

Not poor - more amplified re sceuro block than yesterday’s 12z was but still not overly informative .....I expect the clusters will be quite varied again .....

• Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Northeasterly Blizzard and sub zero temperatures.
On ‎09‎/‎11‎/‎2018 at 10:31, carinthian said:

Morning all, picture below taken on our local mountain a few years ago. Certainly, no scenes like that presently, just barren snowless tops during this remarkable warm Autumn in most of Europe. Some resorts are due to open in 3 weeks time, think its going to be a struggle as there is very little snow to work with. Regarding the hunt for cold, remember I told you recently a slow burner development of a Scandinavian Block , sometimes produces the best results and that's what our experts think this morning. Their model still shows the mildness to peak in the British Isles towards next weekend around 17th . Strengthening high pressure over Scandinavia around 23rd. Towards the end of the month , ratings increase for retrogressive  developments with a split in the polar jet to favour this process. They also indicate of some divergence aloft over Western/ Central Europe with surface pressure fall  and upper level trough and a backing of the wind flow , but one they say to watch. Early days and as I say a slow burner in process but looking good for a cold end to the month .

C

800_P2131034.jpg

Would be nice if this came off. Everything in place for retrogressive developments by months end. Split jet and hint of falling heights over Europe and backing of the wind flow. Lets hope the trend continues. Getting excited.

C

GFSOPEU06_384_1.png

• Like 7