IGNORED

Novel Coronavirus – China

Snipper

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, plumes, snow, severe weather

Anyone have any thoughts of this tweet?

Posted
10 minutes ago, Gray-Wolf said:

Again I'm struggling to see the 'harm' , compared to the potential good?, of dousing the covid-19 'nursery' twice a day with 'rubbing alcohol' on cotton buds (and 'snorking back and resultant mucus over the top of the throat connection to the nasal passages?.....)

Maybe if I 'believe' it's doing me good hard enough then I'll get a 'Placebo boost' an'all?.......

Not sure "snorting" rubbing alcohol is such a good idea?  It will only have a very short effect and will not distinguish between what it kills on contact, virus, bacteria, nasal mucus membrane cells......

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow,Thunderstorms mix both for heaven THUNDERSNOW 😜😀🤤🥰

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extremes of all kinds...

There is a lot anxiety being experienced in the country at the moment due to the outbreak of covid-19 and some may be feeling genuinely panicky.  In my own opinion this is largely due to the media and especially the press and television news programs which have been focussing all their attention on the number of ‘cases’ which have been found and the number of deaths which have been reported daily.  This is the first time I can remember when the widespread outbreak of a disease (which in itself is not that uncommon) has been reported in terms of the number of people dying daily, in this country and abroad.  Little wonder then that people have it in their head that they too might die soon – so much news about death stalking the land is bound to dominate our thoughts and actions.  But – hold on – there have only been four deaths in the UK to date.  Admittedly there have been several  hundred in Europe as a whole and several thousand around the world.   But let’s consider this against all the other deaths which are occurring daily…..  Taken from statistics available on the internet I have worked out that the average daily death rate is as follows for some of the top causes of death in the UK:

Cancer (all):           450 per day

Sepsis:                   120 per day

Heart Disease:       116  per day

Stroke:                    88  per day

Pneumonia:            82  per day

Alcohol related:       20  per day

Suicides:                 18  per day

Why don’t we wake up every day to the news that another 450 people have died of cancer?  Or that another 88 people have died from a stroke yesterday?  Why?  Because it isn’t exciting enough to sell papers or attract advertising on the telly.  Basically, we’re not interested – we don’t believe these things will affect us – most of us anyway – because most of the deaths listed occur in the oldest age groups and most of the population is too young to worry about it.  So what’s different about covid-19?  Not much.  It is still the elderly and/or infirm who are most at risk.  It will not kill the vast majority of people who contract it, and very many people will never catch it anyway.   It’s unlikely to come close to being the biggest single cause of death in the UK, or in the world.  In a few weeks or months it is likely the figures will have stabilised, the number of deaths per day will have fallen and in the end a vaccine will be developed so this virus will eventually be controlled.  It’s a serious matter, certainly, but in my opinion it’s being over-hyped by the press and we are all being whipped into a state of, if not panic, then certainly excess anxiety.  We should listen to the advice the government is issuing, take care with personal hygiene and not travel to the worst affected areas.  But if we stay calm and consider the actual risks compared with everything else which could kill us I’m sure we’ll get through this with less stress.

No sermon intended.  Just my opinion is all.

• Like 6

Posted
6 minutes ago, Zak M said:

Anyone have any thoughts of this tweet?

The way I think of it is imagine saying that the flu season was a bust because we don't have 5000 deaths on October 31st.

For the USA this is still quite early into the situation, got a long way to go there yet and plenty of time for things to really badly head south.

We probably really won't be able to compare it to a normal flu season until probably next year to have an idea of just how deadly it has become. Far too early to make such a kneejerk remark.

Edited by kold weather
  • Like 3

Posted
1 minute ago, Sky Full said:

There is a lot anxiety being experienced in the country at the moment due to the outbreak of covid-19 and some may be feeling genuinely panicky.  In my own opinion this is largely due to the media and especially the press and television news programs which have been focussing all their attention on the number of ‘cases’ which have been found and the number of deaths which have been reported daily.  This is the first time I can remember when the widespread outbreak of a disease (which in itself is not that uncommon) has been reported in terms of the number of people dying daily, in this country and abroad.  Little wonder then that people have it in their head that they too might die soon – so much news about death stalking the land is bound to dominate our thoughts and actions.  But – hold on – there have only been four deaths in the UK to date.  Admittedly there have been several  hundred in Europe as a whole and several thousand around the world.   But let’s consider this against all the other deaths which are occurring daily…..  Taken from statistics available on the internet I have worked out that the average daily death rate is as follows for some of the top causes of death in the UK:

Why don’t we wake up every day to the news that another 450 people have died of cancer?  Or that another 88 people have died from a stroke yesterday?  Why?  Because it isn’t exciting enough to sell papers or attract advertising on the telly.  Basically, we’re not interested – we don’t believe these things will affect us – most of us anyway – because most of the deaths listed occur in the oldest age groups and most of the population is too young to worry about it.  So what’s different about covid-19?  Not much.  It is still the elderly and/or infirm who are most at risk.  It will not kill the vast majority of people who contract it, and very many people will never catch it anyway.   It’s unlikely to come close to being the biggest single cause of death in the UK, or in the world.  In a few weeks or months it is likely the figures will have stabilised, the number of deaths per day will have fallen and in the end a vaccine will be developed so this virus will eventually be controlled.  It’s a serious matter, certainly, but in my opinion it’s being over-hyped by the press and we are all being whipped into a state of, if not panic, then certainly excess anxiety.  We should listen to the advice the government is issuing, take care with personal hygiene and not travel to the worst affected areas.  But if we stay calm and consider the actual risks compared with everything else which could kill us I’m sure we’ll get through this with less stress.

I am interested in what you have to say but it darn difficult without using short paragraphs when using a phone to look. 

Posted
8 minutes ago, Donegal said:

Just another anti Science Republican thicko

I think it may be more thoughtful than that?.

I would imagine the GOP will be as worried as hell about this. They can hardly tag the Democrats as the cause of Coronavirus, though i suspect they will try.

So their only option really is to say, "nothing to see here, move along" and then cross everything in the hope that it is very seasonal and they make it to summer without significant deaths. That way, they will muddle through to November elections.  If they are wrong, and it's not seasonal, then these republican commentators and politicians are digging themselves one hell of a hole.......

Edited by swebby

Posted
7 minutes ago, Sky Full said:

– so much news about death stalking the land is bound to dominate our thoughts and actions.  But – hold on – there have only been four deaths in the UK to date.

I have bolded the key part in that sentence that I think is impacting alot of people and their anxiety.

Its the unknown and what is to come from that unknown. 

Alot of it comes from your own viewpoint. If you don't think its much of a threat, then you'll have a glass half full solution, IE this will probably burn out soon and stablise and all will carry on. Total cases and therefore deaths aren't going to continue to get that much higher.

The glass half empty view point will obviously think we are just at the start of a ramp up that is going to result in 100000s infected, which will obviously then lead to alot more panic.

Myself, I'm closer to the 1st point of view, partly because I'm in the low risk bracket, however history has shown us its certainly not implausible we end up going the more dangerous half empty route.

Edited by kold weather
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm and sunny with night time t-storms
3 hours ago, nick sussex said:

Things starting to get a bit twitchy down here . Just came back from Aldi , one guy emitted 3 dryish sounding coughs .

I held my breathe and quickly shuffled off , and others nearby also suddenly realized they needed to dash .

A lot of people like myself and others in the UK who have family or friends who they see regularly and who have things like asthma aren’t I expect so worried about themselves if they’re not in a high risk group but of giving it to someone who is.

People need to think of others and act with a collective spirit .

We all have a role here . The government can only do so much and whatever they do  if the public don’t act then it’s much more of a struggle to slow the spread .

I know. I was just in my local Proxi shop and the cashier coughed into her hand with nervous laughs and smiles from those of us in the queue. She immediately used hand sanitiser, though.

• Like 3

Posted

Posted
18 minutes ago, Sky Full said:

Good post.

With the exception of suicides, all those will be classed as co-morbidities.

So if any those classes contract Covid-19, they would be highly likely move from those regular cause of deaths, to Covid-19 as the cause.

So you could have 800+ Covid-19 deaths/day but single digit figures in all the other instances.

Not remotely reassuring to the very sick, but maybe some on here will be a little less alarmed?

Edited by swebby
Here! dagnabbit!
  • Like 2

Posted

Posted

Just because other things kill people on a daily basis isn’t sufficient to just hope the current virus can be neatly slotted into those and forgotten about .

The UKs CMO has said the current illness is more deadly than the flu , and the illness itself to those who need to be hospitalized is far worse in terms of what it does to the body .

The issue is it’s a new virus and because no one has any immunity to it is why governments are acting to slow it’s spread .

Left to run riot stabilization won’t take place until a hell of a lot of people have died .

Edited by nick sussex
  • Like 3

Posted

Death toll from Lombardy now upto 333, so another sizable rise in deaths there, and obviously there maybe quite a few more from other parts of Italy.

Edited by kold weather
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot
Just now, kold weather said:

Death toll from Lombardy now upto 333, so another decent rise in deaths there, and obviously there maybe quite a few more from other parts of Italy.

I'm not sure "decent" is the right word to use.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Long warm summer evenings. Cold frosty sunny winter days.
1 minute ago, nick sussex said:

Just because other things kill people on a daily basis isn’t sufficient to just hope the current virus can be neatly slotted into those and forgotten about .

The UKs CMO has said the current illness is more deadly than the flu , and the illness itself far worse in terms of what it does to the body .

The issue is it’s a new virus and because no one has any immunity to it is why governments are acting to slow it’s spread .

Left to run riot stabilization won’t take place until a hell of a lot of people have died .

It is clear that you may have an underlying condition that might not be life threatening or any immediate danger to yourself but if you catch this virus your prognosis immediately changes to one of imminent danger to ones health and wellbeing. Not everyone knows if they have an underlying condition that could be nasty if you catch Covid-19. 

It is not the fact that on its own within a healthy population that covid-19 would be a mild disease but its how it interacts with other conditions. 

We are a long way from seeing the end of this and I fear that many of my disabled friends and acquaintances will not survive. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm and sunny with night time t-storms
4 minutes ago, jonboy said:

It is clear that you may have an underlying condition that might not be life threatening or any immediate danger to yourself but if you catch this virus your prognosis immediately changes to one of imminent danger to ones health and wellbeing. Not everyone knows if they have an underlying condition that could be nasty if you catch Covid-19. 

It is not the fact that on its own within a healthy population that covid-19 would be a mild disease but its how it interacts with other conditions. 

We are a long way from seeing the end of this and I fear that many of my disabled friends and acquaintances will not survive. 

If you look after yourself and spot any symptoms early (listen to your body) you should know if you have any underlying conditions that could put you at risk. Regular basic medical checkups are also very valuable, everyone should be entitled to a yearly full blood work as well to find anything that is amiss early.

Too many people (men - sorry guys - are worst) just don't follow through with basic preventative and screening oppotunities that are available to them. Too many people don't know "their numbers".