Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Novel Coronavirus – China

Snipper

Posted
35 minutes ago, Summer Sun said:

Chief Scientific Offficer: Airport screening not actually very effective, that's why not focussing on it.

So stop the flights full stop then  surely.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers
Just now, Weather-history said:

Ireland has cancelled St Patrick Day parades?

Yes. All cancelled right across the country.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot
Just now, northwestsnow said:

So stop the flights full stop then  surely.

We're beyond that point now. We were beyond that when they started shipping all British expats back from China.

Posted
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet

4 minutes ago, feb1991blizzard said:

Problem is what if you run out of food?

I believe in Wuhan they never actually locked people in but simply shut the businesses and prevented people driving. As such people could still get food, they just had to walk.

Edited by summer blizzard

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm and sunny with night time t-storms
25 minutes ago, Ryukai said:

Probably due to some wierdo letting there dog lick their mouth... seeing that always makes me cringe in disgust, why on earth would you want an animals saliva inside your mouth >.<

Because dog kisses are special! My dog kisses on request but it's always just on the lips.

This story has been around for a while and amounts to the dog having been contaminated externally with the owners virus shed. The dog does not systemically have the virus. I and many others do not want misinformation to start any sort of minor worry, let alone a panic amount dogs (or cats). Veterinary advice is that you cannot transmit the virus to your beloved companion or get it from them - the one exception being if someone who is infected touches your pet and you touch after them. Sensible precautions need to prevail for your pet's coat just like other surfaces. At the moment, in a very infected area, people should not let strangers stroke or touch their pets and if they have an infected person at home in self isolation the infected person should not touch the pet.

• Like 3

Posted
6 minutes ago, ArHu3 said:

If you don't know if you have a pre-existing condition than you most likely don't. 

Unfortunately that is not quite the case. Over 40% of people with hypertension will be unaware.  

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy disruptive snowfall.
7 minutes ago, Gray-Wolf said:

I think you'd find it 'difficult' (to say the least?) to 'snort' much off the head of a cotton bud but you go ahead and give it a try?

Sorry, wasn't aware, was thinking more like the way we used to snort bacardi in the ritzy when i was 18 if we couldn't get any pills or speed.

• Like 1

Posted
5 minutes ago, Nick L said:

We're beyond that point now. We were beyond that when they started shipping all British expats back from China.

I thought we were still in containment nick?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm and sunny with night time t-storms
Just now, swebby said:

Unfortunately that is not quite the case. Over 40% of people with hypertension will be unaware.  

As I said earlier, we all need to know our numbers! You can have a BP test at the pharmacy, anyone who doesn't avail and know what's happening in their body is...

• Like 1

Posted
6 minutes ago, summer blizzard said:

I believe in Wuhan they never actually locked people in but simply shut the businesses and prevented people driving. As such people could still get food, they just had to walk.

What about shops?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow in winter, good sun at other times with appropriate rain.
1 minute ago, feb1991blizzard said:

Sorry, wasn't aware, was thinking more like the way we used to snort bacardi in the ritzy when i was 18 if we couldn't get any pills or speed.

Monday night at the ritz?  As I remember it, mid 1980’s speed was everywhere ....

• Like 1

Posted
2 minutes ago, feb1991blizzard said:

Blimey feb, im all for openess and honesty but this is still a family forum.

• Like 1

Posted
Just now, feb1991blizzard said:

What about shops?

I assume its offices and luxury. Basically you'd keep your Tesco and Wilco's open (or variant) but shut most other things. 

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extremes n snow
22 minutes ago, summer blizzard said:

Hancock said last week that the government could increase beds spare with oxygen from 15 to 5000. Not sure how exactly but that suggests we can theoretically handle about 50,000 active cases assuming the 20% critical rate.

Several hotels near to Heathrow are currently being requisitioned for medical purposes. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, feb1991blizzard said:

What about shops?

As mentioned, it appeared most businesses and schools etc were shut. All cars were banned except for taxis and those with permission etc. Food shops were about the only shops open as far as I could tell.

And this is why I find the panic buying and even stocking up slightly odd. China had the harshest restrictions so far, but they still allowed people to go out and buy food lol. Even if an entire major city in UK gets shut down, people will still be able to go out and buy food, so they arent gonna starve!

• Like 2

Posted
1 minute ago, matty40s said:

Several hotels near to Heathrow are currently being requisitioned for medical purposes. 

That's good and more evidence of planning behind the scenes.

• Like 2

Posted
6 minutes ago, northwestsnow said:

Blimey feb, im all for openess and honesty but this is still a family forum.

My stupidity knew no bounds in the old days and i am paying with it now due to mental and physical health, if any young people are viewing this, don't do any of the 3 things i mentioned in that post and do any fags or beer in moderation only.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warehamwx.co.uk

Someone who works at the hospital just 2mins walk from here has got the virus. I'm not too fussed though, as I don't use it for my doctors appointments.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold Snowy Winters, Hot Thundery Summers

Dow Jones has dropped to -2000 points again for today's trading. A  grim day for the stock markets.

Edited by Quicksilver1989
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, Nick L said:

I really cant understand this comment? So you're saying we shouldn't of shipped them back to the UK? If so, why?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extremes n snow
14 minutes ago, Spikecollie said:

Because dog kisses are special! My dog kisses on request but it's always just on the lips.

This story has been around for a while and amounts to the dog having been contaminated externally with the owners virus shed. The dog does not systemically have the virus. I and many others do not want misinformation to start any sort of minor worry, let alone a panic amount dogs (or cats). Veterinary advice is that you cannot transmit the virus to your beloved companion or get it from them - the one exception being if someone who is infected touches your pet and you touch after them. Sensible precautions need to prevail for your pet's coat just like other surfaces. At the moment, in a very infected area, people should not let strangers stroke or touch their pets and if they have an infected person at home in self isolation the infected person should not touch the pet.

It's nothing to do with the virus, it's that fact that dogs like to stick their noses and tongues up other dogs rear ends.

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow in winter, good sun at other times with appropriate rain.
2 minutes ago, emax said:

As mentioned, it appeared most businesses and schools etc were shut. All cars were banned except for taxis and those with permission etc. Food shops were about the only shops open as far as I could tell.

And this is why I find the panic buying and even stocking up slightly odd. China had the harshest restrictions so far, but they still allowed people to go out and buy food lol. Even if an entire major city in UK gets shut down, people will still be able to go out and buy food, so they arent gonna starve!

Except for those that live in rural areas with maybe one local shop, miles to the nearest supermarket and crap Public transport.  But wait. We have sheep.....

Posted
2 minutes ago, emax said:

Still too early to know what effects Italy's quarantine will have, as the cases this week will likely be coming from pre-quarantine. however I have to agree with the sentiment of others, if you are going to go for a lockdown, you may as well make it total for a month or so, it seems to have nearly killed the virus in Wuhan (down to 40-50 cases a day).

This kinda half measure still isn't going to stem the tide, just delay perhaps. 

• Like 2