Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Novel Coronavirus – China

Snipper

Posted
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet
1 minute ago, kold weather said:

I've stockpilled a reasonable amount of essentials, still got a few bits I want to get but I won't starve for sure.

Unfortunately this disease looks like its praying on the weaker and vulnerable of our society. 

I cleaned up my diet some time ago so i already have plenty of things which can be boiled (quinoa, lentils ect..) however with online shopping that should not be a concern anyway. 

Posted
Just now, summer blizzard said:

I cleaned up my diet some time ago so i already have plenty of things which can be boiled (quinoa, lentils ect..) however with online shopping that should not be a concern anyway. 

What is interesting is there is still some wholemeal pasta/rice out there even when others had sold out. I'm quite happy to eat wholemeal so I got some.

• Like 1

Also just a comment on the latest death. Now I fully appreciate that official statements from NHS Trusts will be worded in a way to calm the occurrence down, so I'm not saying one way or another, but I think this is something to think about at least.

The statement "We can confirm that sadly, a patient in their seventies who was very unwell with a number of significant and long term health conditions has passed away at St Helier Hospital. They had tested positive for Covid-19."

So did the patient die of covid, or did something else kill them and they just happened to test positive for covid? Its obviously down to personal opinion, as any official NHS statement can be spun as much in the opposite direction as the media like to spin it, but if you took this statement at face value, then it could just be a "regular" death (if you see what I mean). These occurrences could skew the figures massively, but the only way you'll know is in a years time and simply go by the number of deaths in a year or something.

As I say, it could be either way, and I'm just thinking out loud, but that will be person number 5 who has died with COVID, when they may not of died because of it.

• Like 3

Posted
4 minutes ago, swebby said:

Hi Summer blizzard, not sure what that means exactly or if that is a typo? Are you be able to elaborate on that please?

NHS England are meant to have 6000 ICU beds which is inclusive of pediatrics and neo-natal, but tend to run at 70-90% occupancy, so 600-1800 spare bed capacity on any given day. Occupancy can be reduced by cancelling elective surgery, bot not to the point of freeing all 6,000 up. 

An ICU bed will be different from a bed with oxygen to hand, but maybe oxygen to hand is all that is needed for many hospitalisation cases?

No idea how many of the ICU beds will have mechanically assisted breathing, intubation or blood oxygenating facilities.

All of them, at least here in the Netherlands 

• Like 1

Posted
26 minutes ago, snefnug said:

Monday night at the ritz?  As I remember it, mid 1980’s speed was everywhere ....

Remember giving our kids Night Nurse.  Will I be accursed if being a pusher?

Edited by Snipper
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warehamwx.co.uk
2 minutes ago, Spikecollie said:

You're not setting a very good example as Forum staff by encouraging an egocentric response/approach to this communal problem.

Excuse me? This is a weather forum, not the NHS.

I don't go to that surgery, so it doesn't affect me. Simple as.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow in winter, good sun at other times with appropriate rain.
1 minute ago, Snipper said:

Remember giving our kids Night Nurse.  Will I be accursed if being a pusher?

Shhhhh.......

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

Epsom and St Helier Trust:

We can confirm that sadly, a patient in their seventies who was very unwell with a number of significant and long term health conditions has passed away at St Helier Hospital. They had tested positive for COVID-19.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold Snowy Winters, Hot Thundery Summers
11 minutes ago, northwestsnow said:

Good God those poor people.

China has a lot to answer for from where i am sat.

Also I think the point where it spread from China to Iran was the turning point in containing it globally, along with the fact it has a long incubation period. If it had been contained for longer it might have lost it's potency by the time it spread (ie like swine flu) but unfortunately it couldn't be contained in China for that long.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow in winter, good sun at other times with appropriate rain.
4 minutes ago, summer blizzard said:

Well it might be, if airport restrictions put in place.  I know quinoa can be grown in uk but not lentils.  Most of uk fruit and veg currently comes from Italy, France and Spain so if pickers fall Ill.?  

Posted

There’s a South African guy who works in my office who literally Swearing AGAINes down the front of his pants, doesn’t flush and definitely doesn’t wash his hands. A few weeks ago he stood over my desk openly coughing his guts up until I told him to f**k off.

all eyes on him over the next few weeks.

• Like 1

Posted
Just now, snefnug said:

Well it might be, if airport restrictions put in place.  I know quinoa can be grown in uk but not lentils.  Most of uk fruit and veg currently comes from Italy, France and Spain so if pickers fall Ill.?  

The likelihood of quarantines and the like dragging on for months on end is minimal. Not to mention that there are still plenty of grains easily bought in the UK. Long shelf life means the supermarkets probably have millions of bags of rice. 

Posted
8 minutes ago, kold weather said:

What is interesting is there is still some wholemeal pasta/rice out there even when others had sold out. I'm quite happy to eat wholemeal so I got some.

Just make pasta. Far from difficult. 

• Like 1

Posted
Just now, Quicksilver1989 said:

Also I think the point where it spread from China to Iran was the turning point in containing it globally, along with the fact it has a long incubation period. If it had been contained for longer it might have lost it's potency by the time it spread (ie like swine flu) but unfortunately it couldn't be contained in China for that long.

I am sure you are right, i'm of the opinion China tried to censor news of this virus,for example,the doctor who  died who tried to get the message out and was reprimanded by the communist party and is now suddenly a state hero, something very suspicious IMO...

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...
2 minutes ago, Mapantz said:

This is a weather forum, not the NHS.

But a weather forum with more doctors, virologists, epidemiologists (and even a smattering of witch doctors!) nurses, and other, assorted medical experts than you'll find in any NHS hospital...:oldlaugh:

On tonight's roster: Dr.s Kildare, Owen, Kilmore and Crippin!:crazy:

• Like 9

Posted
8 minutes ago, emax said:

Also just a comment on the latest death. Now I fully appreciate that official statements from NHS Trusts will be worded in a way to calm the occurrence down, so I'm not saying one way or another, but I think this is something to think about at least.

The statement "We can confirm that sadly, a patient in their seventies who was very unwell with a number of significant and long term health conditions has passed away at St Helier Hospital. They had tested positive for Covid-19."

So did the patient die of covid, or did something else kill them and they just happened to test positive for covid? Its obviously down to personal opinion, as any official NHS statement can be spun as much in the opposite direction as the media like to spin it, but if you took this statement at face value, then it could just be a "regular" death (if you see what I mean). These occurrences could skew the figures massively, but the only way you'll know is in a years time and simply go by the number of deaths in a year or something.

As I say, it could be either way, and I'm just thinking out loud, but that will be person number 5 who has died with COVID, when they may not of died because of it.

Personally I think they will have died from Covid because otherwise I wouldn’t think it’s worth reporting (as horribly callous as that sounds). I think the UK would be delighted to keep their mortality stats as low as possible so I wouldn’t see the need to report it if it wasn’t Covid that actually killed them.

Posted
3 minutes ago, Azazel said:

There’s a South African guy who works in my office who literally Swearing AGAINes down the front of his pants, doesn’t flush and definitely doesn’t wash his hands. A few weeks ago he stood over my desk openly coughing his guts up until I told him to f**k off.

all eyes on him over the next few weeks.

That is literally disgusting behaviour.

I think you were quite restrained.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm and sunny with night time t-storms

Holy poo...1412 cases here now and 25 deaths.

Posted
2 minutes ago, General Cluster said:

But a weather forum with more doctors, virologists, epidemiologists (and even a smattering of witch doctors!) nurses, and other, assorted medical experts than you'll find in any NHS hospital...:oldlaugh:

On tonight's roster: Dr.s Kildare, Owen, Kilmore and Crippin!:crazy:

You forgot the best one!

latest?cb=20170903205918

• Like 3

Posted
3 minutes ago, Snipper said:

Just make pasta. Far from difficult. 

Given I work in Education, if the schools are shut down, I will have plenty of time to kill so a fair chance I probably will end up doing so in that scenario!

Posted
1 minute ago, Spikecollie said:

Holy poo...1412 cases here now and 25 deaths.

Where?

I see, France.

Not good.

Edited by northwestsnow

Posted
3 minutes ago, summer blizzard said:

The likelihood of quarantines and the like dragging on for months on end is minimal. Not to mention that there are still plenty of grains easily bought in the UK. Long shelf life means the supermarkets probably have millions of bags of rice. 

I don’t think they do.  Most supermarkets operate a sort of ‘just in time’ logistics system so refill is POS related and carry very little extra stock.  However, I do recall in the last super supermarket panic buy in, I think, 2018, the local manager of sainsbury said that if necessary they would or could use the chilled freight lorries as additionally storage.  I suspect if anything major did go down,you would see all the garden and clothes crap shifted for basic foodstuffs. 

• Like 1

Posted
4 minutes ago, kold weather said:

I’d be heading for the comfort food ! I do eat some healthy things but I think low fat food at stressful times is bad for the soul ! 

Chocolate , crisps , I have a soft spot for batchelors pasta n sauce which friends bring over for the UK for me !

My go to sort of healthy/comfort is Nairns cheese oatcakes , absolutely delicious .

For alcohol Bushmills whiskey with honey is amazing , you can only seem to find that though in duty frees on some ferries .

My UK trip is now cancelled so I’m going to have to start rationing that !