Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Novel Coronavirus – China

Snipper

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot & Sunny, Cold & Snowy

Another day done and another day closer to your potential infection?

So what have you done today to limit that potential infection?(rhetorical)

If not to 'limit it' for you then to limit the spread so as to spare the old and vulnerable?

Edited by Gray-Wolf
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers
2 minutes ago, Skullzrulerz said:

Very good news ! It's definitely been contained

Only worry is London 

London is no surprise given the major airports and Eurostar numbers are probably within calculations they'll have done for a city with a population of around 9 million

Posted
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet
30 minutes ago, Paul Faulkner said:

Containment protocols are working and community transmission is being kept to a minimum.

Who knows how many unconfirmed cases there are though

The UK is acting testing more than most countries so there will always be hidden cases (mild) but less than other states. 

As alluded to in the comparison data earlier our key test is Thursday. We will hit 400 tomorrow and Italy, Spain, Germany and France all started jumping by 100+ at that point.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot & Sunny, Cold & Snowy

So, and said with a straight face, BBC News tell us that in Italian hospitals things are so bad that corridors are being used as clinical treatment areas.......

Do they not know that that is now normal in our own hospitals even without an epidemic?

I'm not finger pointing but we appear to have 17,000 fewer beds than we had 10 years ago???

• Like 6

Posted
30 minutes ago, emax said:

Out of interest, do we know how the UK results time lag compares to other countries? Some suggestions that tests were taking 3 to 4 days to give a result, so if thats still the case, it could explain the lag maybe?

Interestingly the Netherlands showed very similar numbers. Did the UK have a holiday? The peak in the Netherlands coincided with 7 days post winter holiday and people returning from the Alps (and Italy) 

• Like 1

Posted
15 minutes ago, Gray-Wolf said:

If not to 'limit it' for you then to limit the spread so as to spare the old and vulnerable?

Went to the Cash & Carry to non panic buy a few bits. Part of a jolly with my daughter who wanted to learn about advanced driving techniques.  Have concerns about my daughter and this virus as she has had her spleen removed. Day she had it done she heard that she had achieved a first class honours in Applied Biology.  We are therefore well aware of the potential problems. 

• Like 5

Posted
26 minutes ago, Gray-Wolf said:

I got hold of some Avloclor as did some of my friends. I also banned my missus from going to the gym.

Posted
Just now, Azazel said:

I got hold of some Avloclor as did some of my friends. I also banned my missus from going to the gym.

Not getting paranoid are you? If your God wants you there ain’t a lot you can do about it. 

Posted
Just now, Snipper said:

Not getting paranoid are you? If your God wants you there ain’t a lot you can do about it. 

Of course I'm paranoid and anxious. I don't want to die from it. I know my chances are decent, but still.

Posted
22 minutes ago, summer blizzard said:

The UK is acting testing more than most countries so there will always be hidden cases (mild) but less than other states. 

As alluded to in the comparison data earlier our key test is Thursday. We will hit 400 tomorrow and Italy, Spain, Germany and France all started jumping by 100+ at that point.

By testing more, there will be a bigger lag time to results .... currently 4-5 days according to article in the Guardian. I see foreign sites saying test results later same day of test so who knows really.

One A&E consultant said: “A delay of four days is not necessarily a risk to patients, who are advised to contact NHS111 if they get any worse in the interim. However, the delay can lead to anxiety and people breaking self-isolation.”

One A&E nurse said the average turnaround for tests they were taking had stretched to four or five days. “Tests are taking longer than anticipated to be processed by the labs, I assume because of the sheer volume of samples they’re receiving. We’re being instructed to tell patients that they will often hear from PHE within 48-72 hours of the swabs if they are clear. During this time they should self-isolate,” the nurse said.

5979.jpg?width=1200&height=630&quality=8
WWW.THEGUARDIAN.COM

Move will double the number of tests that can be done every day in UK from 2,000 to 4,000

• Like 2

Posted
32 minutes ago, Summer Sun said:

London is no surprise given the major airports and Eurostar numbers are probably within calculations they'll have done for a city with a population of around 9 million

That's a fair point i'm shocked though that fights haven't been stopped via the infected areas though 

Posted

A human story:

On Sunday, a 60-year-old man from Greater Manchester became the third person to die after contracting coronavirus after recently visiting northern Italy.

The son said his father fell ill "instantly" after returning to the UK at the end of February. He turned up at a local health centre for a routine appointment and, when he said he had been to Italy, "panic broke out".

His father was taken to North Manchester General Hospital and the rest of the family were told to self-isolate - with Public Health England sending daily texts asking if they are showing symptoms.

"Since we cannot go outside we regularly called the ward where he was ill," the man's son told BBC Bengali. "And on a daily basis and we asked them how he was. They did not allow me to speak to him directly.

The first couple of days he was fairly stable but after that they were saying his blood was not oxygenated enough. Also his heartbeat was not stable either."

The son said they received a phone call from the hospital saying his father - who had underlying conditions including arthritis, heart problems, and cholesterol - had died.

"Obviously I could not believe it because two months ago this thing didn't even exist and today it took away my father.

"It took me quite a long time to process the whole thing that I'm not going to be able to see him anymore."

• Like 5

Posted
Just now, Skullzrulerz said:

That's a fair point i'm shocked though that fights haven't been stopped via the infected areas though 

As was posted earlier EU rules mean 80% had to keep on flying (even if empty) to maintain the landing slots. The EU have relaxed this rule now which will enable airlines to cancel more flights.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold snowy and frosty
7 minutes ago, Summer Sun said:

As was posted earlier EU rules mean 80% had to keep on flying (even if empty) to maintain the landing slots.

What a senseless rule flying empty planes, how does that help the environment!  Perhaps they’ll do the sensible thing after the virus has receded and not insist empty planes fly around.  

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold snowy and frosty
4 minutes ago, Astral Goat Juice said:

What kind of BS bureaucratic decision was that? Disgusting. 

It's possible he got so bad he couldn't speak, but that's not what the quote says. 

How upsetting, surely they could have dressed the next of kin up in appropriate hazmat equipment when they knew death was imminent.

• Like 2

Posted
3 minutes ago, Snowycat said:

What a senseless rule flying empty planes, how does that help the environment!  Perhaps they’ll do the sensible thing after the virus has receded and not insist empty planes fly around.  

It's treated in that aspect as something of a open access public service. The idea being that if you are operating a route, people have the right to expect to travel at 10pm on both Tuesday and Friday and not just when it's full. It's the same for buses and trains which outside of peak times can often run empty more or less.

• Like 2

Posted
3 minutes ago, Summer Sun said:

Hopefully a vaccine or two will be out before round 2

Just like any other cold or flu virus then. 

Posted
44 minutes ago, Gray-Wolf said:

So, and said with a straight face, BBC News tell us that in Italian hospitals things are so bad that corridors are being used as clinical treatment areas.......

Do they not know that that is now normal in our own hospitals even without an epidemic?

I'm not finger pointing but we appear to have 17,000 fewer beds than we had 10 years ago???

Oh don’t keep going on about it.  Getting bored with the repetition. We are dealing with the here and now and not the what if and might have been.  Plenty of time to dissect everything afterwards.

Posted
2 minutes ago, Snipper said:

But hopefully a vaccine.

Hopefully they're close - so would like to think if it does peak next winter it'll be like getting a flu jab and the most vulnerable are protected and the hysteria can die down

Edited by Coopsy

Posted
1 minute ago, Donegal said:

A vaccine won't be ready for next Winter. It will take at least 12 months. 

They're starting human trials on 24 people in London. Not many obviously but it's a start

• Like 2

Posted
1 hour ago, Summer Sun said:

Cases by region in England

• East of England | 29 (+5)
  • London | 91 (+30)
  • Midlands | 36 (+6)
  • North East and Yorkshire | 24 (+2)
  • North West | 37 (+2)
  • South East | 51 (+8)
  • South West | 41  (+3)

To be determined | 15 (-9)

+30 in London that is 200% increase on yesterday with 10, signs in London it may be stirring. 

• Like 1