Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model output discussion - Winter has arrived

Paul

Posted
12 minutes ago, Scandinavian High. said:

Just seen long range forecast they saying jet stream coming back in to play next week  low pressure to the north west.  but what I’ve seen tonight on models is low pressure going south east with Continental air coming from east what sort of models are they looking at .

EBC6E7F7-B9CE-4B6B-9709-87318CA71FE3.png

7B8E8F73-0C10-49A9-B641-FAE229D92ED9.png

Thats the beeb long-range forecast,they seem to get these long range forecasts more wrong than correct.Metogroup going with the ukmet model then,despite the other two models not so keen in Atlantic coming back.Strange they ignored those two models in that recent forecast.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything but the prevailing wind!
1 hour ago, feb1991blizzard said:

Or would you rather have a similar one to what we have now.

image.thumb.png.fec5fbea4d9feac1841e6aa9d786c231.png

And where did that get us?

Nowhere, lol. Even Glosea had us for a cold one that year didn’t it. This time it doesn’t. 

But it did get precede an SSW that year, albeit one that favoured us little.

But I agree that we’re always at the risk of vortex intensification at any point, and a half hearted reflection event can make it even worse -last year’s intense negative heat flux fiasco after the botched warming being a case in point). But seen as the Atlantic SSTs clearly don’t match 2010s I figure the only way we’re getting serious cold this year is a split ssw therefore a strong scandi-Greenland dipole for as long as possible is our best trop-based hope. 

• Like 1

Posted
50 minutes ago, Mike Poole said:

I don’t see this from the mean charts T240:

D9D81F98-42AE-42B2-9D6A-7ECBC070BA3A.thumb.png.30714afde2ee31b804df086fa013d2dd.pngD1577702-F801-4FBB-B437-DB6F904E18DE.thumb.png.0b2da4a2b3d5c5bdc8be589c83e41ca2.png

I see from the mean the block in charge, and the potential for sliders from the Atlantic systems, look at the elongation, much less than on an op run but it is there, and then from the spread, uncertainty over the track of the low pressures is clear, but also clear is the lack of uncertainty with respect to the block.

Couldn’t agree more. We have negative angular momentum for most of the rest of the month (and only starting), a very classical La Nina pattern indeed, specifically a high pressure anomaly northern Russia into Scandinavia. It’s primed to produce the goods at anytime over the next couple of months

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything below 0c or above 20c. Also love a good thunderstorm!

From November to March all I do when looking at synoptic models is think 'C'mon, merge, MMEEERRRGGGGEE!'

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy disruptive snowfall.
4 minutes ago, Uncertainy said:

Nowhere, lol. Even Glosea had us for a cold one that year didn’t it. This time it doesn’t. 

But it did get precede an SSW that year, albeit one that favoured us little.

But I agree that we’re always at the risk of vortex intensification at any point, and a half hearted reflection event can make it even worse -last year’s intense negative heat flux fiasco after the botched warming being a case in point). But seen as the Atlantic SSTs clearly don’t match 2010s I figure the only way we’re getting serious cold this year is a split ssw therefore a strong scandi-Greenland dipole for as long as possible is our best trop-based hope. 

Yes - i have my eyes on a mid - late Jan SSW, tbf i just can't get excited about the long drawn out purgatory run ups anymore - i love it when the SSW is coming into the 240 range and is showing on the berlin plots and the means, in my eyes, the whole month of Feb 18 was the best model watching period ever, when you get them insane runs coming out and in quantity as well, where you know your gonna end up with brutal uppers, just how brutal is the question, you know your gonna end up with snow, its just how big a dumping.

• Like 9

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm, bright summers and Cold, snowy winters
1 hour ago, feb1991blizzard said:

Or would you rather have a similar one to what we have now.

image.thumb.png.fec5fbea4d9feac1841e6aa9d786c231.png

And where did that get us?

Tbf you could post a chart from almost any year now matter how mild at some point there were chances. Im sure we will have plenty of chances over the coming month.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm, bright summers and Cold, snowy winters

18z coming out now and looking pretty good, low clears SE well and better heights north.

18z image.thumb.png.9d278069ea1fbb55a30fc62dec468e6d.png 12z image.thumb.png.3e47d2a391d378fb5da05cd8be5247c1.png

• Like 8

Posted
21 minutes ago, feb1991blizzard said:

Yes - i have my eyes on a mid - late Jan SSW, tbf i just can't get excited about the long drawn out purgatory run ups anymore - i love it when the SSW is coming into the 240 range and is showing on the berlin plots and the means, in my eyes, the whole month of Feb 18 was the best model watching period ever, when you get them insane runs coming out and in quantity as well, where you know your gonna end up with brutal uppers, just how brutal is the question, you know your gonna end up with snow, its just how big a dumping.

Absolutely it was Feb. There was even the obligatory GFS wobble Mike if you remember...image.thumb.png.2b927841fff12af9d52cea48321402a1.png

I think there was a run slightly earlier in the month, but well after the warming, that didn’t even build the initial UK high at all and just steamrolled the westerlies through - all adding to the fun.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy disruptive snowfall.
3 minutes ago, Uncertainy said:

Absolutely it was Feb. There was even the obligatory GFS wobble Mike if you remember...image.thumb.png.2b927841fff12af9d52cea48321402a1.png

I think there was a run slightly earlier in the month, but well after the warming, that didn’t even build the initial UK high at all and just steamrolled the westerlies through - all adding to the fun.

I think the following day of that run you just posted - the ECM 12z and GFS 18z had a wobble but the ens were rock solid.

• Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot, cold!
7 minutes ago, Steve Murr said:

Ian Brown WTF moment. 
42D41B90-6728-4934-B132-6C0CEEAA977A.thumb.png.d8c05ba6785e38dcac2379b4c321ec51.png

Low too far south in my opinion.   But good to see these systems go under.

• Like 1

Posted
4 minutes ago, Steve Murr said:

Ian Brown WTF moment. 
42D41B90-6728-4934-B132-6C0CEEAA977A.thumb.png.d8c05ba6785e38dcac2379b4c321ec51.png

Fair play to the GFS if it nails this evolution Steve. Ever since the ECM guys gave it a few pearls of wisdom, added to the extra strat resolution, it’s been a little better.

The EC clusters did slightly favour this solution this morning though. Hopefully once the models polish their crystal balls it should become clearer tomorrow.

• Like 6

Just now, Uncertainy said:

Fair play to the GFS if it nails this evolution Steve. Ever since the ECM guys gave it a few pearls of wisdom, added to the extra strat resolution, it’s been a little better.

The EC clusters did slightly favour this solution this morning though. Hopefully once the models polish their crystal balls it should become clearer tomorrow.

Yes > Although I would just prefer the UKMO on board before celebrating...

• Like 2

Posted
2 minutes ago, Mike Poole said:

How would the low being further north help? It’s going to deliver rain wherever it goes as there is no cold pool to our east, so surely it’s better it heads as far south / south east as possible?

Posted
1 minute ago, Tim Bland said:

How would the low being further north help? It’s going to deliver rain wherever it goes as there is no cold pool to our east, so surely it’s better it heads as far south / south east as possible?

Think that is practically the dictionary definition of a moot point

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: severe storms,snow wind and ice
9 minutes ago, Mike Poole said:

Beggars can't be choosers 

i would sooner it go under than over,gives us better prospects going forward.

Edited by Allseasons-si

Posted
2 minutes ago, sheikhy said:

Gfs 18z brilliant!!very cold with sliding lows!!cant ask for much more really!!!will it be there in the morning though?...

Every run is archived on meteociel so yes, you can relive it whenever you want

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Frost and snow. A quiet autumn day is also good.
2 hours ago, Raythan said:

Does anyone know what happened to Bring Back 1962/63 ? 

Don't know. His Netweather account appears to be deactivated, and over on the US forums he hasn't been online for nearly 11 months now. Hope he is ok.

• Like 1