Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model output discussion - Winter has arrived

Paul

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter synoptics.Hot summers.
1 hour ago, winterof79 said:

Criky, expectations far too high at present. Output looks good for early winter. PV all over the shop. Calm down a touch. 

Snow for a few today. There is no raging Atlantic although you'd think so even from some senior posters. 

UKMO only goes out to 144z and it ain't going to blast through scandi with no PV to help. GFS looks sound. 

Screenshot_20201204_174640_com.android.chrome.jpg

ECM same as ukmo at144z in my eyes. Ends up nice. 

Screenshot_20201204_185454.jpg

• Like 1

Posted
3 minutes ago, nick sussex said:

Quite an improvement in the ECM latter stages from this mornings underwhelming run .

Thankfully it didn’t repeat that this evening .  Quite a lot of energy digging se into the mid Atlantic and a better profile to the north .

Drat! That's me buying a ticket for the pub run and early start Saturday.  But we love it!

Posted
1 minute ago, CreweCold said:

et voila...

image.thumb.png.54561af0d47b5278d65041b837557116.png

Fair play CC even if it does not verify I felt you were sensing an outcome of that sort from 168 along with broader musings 

• Like 3

Posted
2 minutes ago, CreweCold said:

The longer we keep these synoptics, the better the chance of severe cold down the line...

But by no means it's a guarantee heck we could have this synoptics for the rest of December and doesn't pay off

I would rather would have it sooner then later myself 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow,Thunderstorms mix both for heaven THUNDERSNOW 😜😀🤤🥰
9 minutes ago, Kirkcaldy Weather said:

Short snowy video 

and the thundersnow, rumble at the start but main bit at 6:55 with the flashes and the thunder (the one before I started recording I didn’t catch as I had tried to sleep was a proper shotgun rumble). ? 

I also agree with those that see the big blocking high to the east as beneficial rather than a hindrance, quite a few interesting blocked setups continue to appear in the ensembles.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms and other extremes
Just now, Skullzrulerz said:

But by no means it's a guarantee heck we could have this synoptics for the rest of December and doesn't pay off

I would rather would have it sooner then later myself 

It's interesting because it has been a long long time since we had something very wintry during the heart of winter i.e January. Seems to be a possibility this year and it could be a shock to the system!

• Like 6

Posted
Just now, CreweCold said:

It's interesting because it has been a long long time since we had something very wintry during the heart of winter i.e January. Seems to be a possibility this year and it could be a shock to the system!

so true, it’s either early (2009/2010) or late into march.

Just wish we could hit the sweet spot! 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow & Thunderstorms
On 03/12/2020 at 18:57, Day 10 said:

Too progressive at the minute but wouldn't be surprised to see this modeled further west as we move to a more reliable time frame.

ECH1-192.thumb.png.0b7b09a9cd913c151d30581957ecc66b.pngECH1-216.thumb.png.b30ef62d8975df0d8035db5663abe53c.png

Nice little cold pool developing there too.

ECH0-192.thumb.png.b9a198e76ca9a873a63fb7aee9992f17.png

Didn't take long then, ECM this evening same time frame already backing off and less progressive with the Atlantic.

ECH1-168.thumb.png.c164a53678f0fa7691e605e118590890.png

On the whole not a bad set of model runs, wouldn't it be nice to get the doozy cold uppers bang on the Christmas hols, no point in wasting them now is there!

• Like 1

Posted
3 minutes ago, Day 10 said:

Didn't take long then, ECM this evening same time frame already backing off and less progressive with the Atlantic.

ECH1-168.thumb.png.c164a53678f0fa7691e605e118590890.png

On the whole not a bad set of model runs, wouldn't it be nice to get the doozy cold uppers bang on the Christmas hols, no point in wasting them now is there!

This is only a week or so before Xmas and there’s no cold in sight though unfortunately ??‍♂️ So frustrating to keep seeing these Synoptics without any cold to make use of

04DCAED2-B0FB-478E-BDF2-05800FE56A46.gif

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer > Spring > Winter > Autumn :-)
5 minutes ago, dragan said:

This is so frustrating! Too early and there isn’t enough cold to tap into, and too late and the sun is too strong and melts any snow. Please let us have something late December to early February in the sweet spot!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!
3 minutes ago, mb018538 said:

This is so frustrating! Too early and there isn’t enough cold to tap into, and too late and the sun is too strong and melts any snow. Please let us have something late December to early February in the sweet spot!

Surely on average the most Westerly/Atlantic dominated period of the year

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, thunder, hail & heavy snow

Comparing both the 00Z and 12Z ECMWF at 192 hours, and it is a step in the right direction.

00Z ECMWF

3D909334-3E44-442F-83C1-B39961597FF5.thumb.png.a26e6b86fe071f0d8a60f87b07afd22c.png

12Z ECMWF

931F1FC5-1E50-477E-954B-B2B4E27D89A3.thumb.png.97332e8ca848c1fe8c12bf735cab1e12.png

The Atlantic Low to our West showing a bit more disruption and there is a more open European upper trough to our East-South-East for Low Pressure to slide towards. Amplification upstream in the Western Atlantic too. 

Differences become even more noticeable at 216 hours where the 12Z ECMWF makes more use of the block to our North-East compared to its earlier run:

00Z ECMWF

3D909334-3E44-442F-83C1-B39961597FF5.thumb.png.a26e6b86fe071f0d8a60f87b07afd22c.png

12Z ECMWF 

D5D28339-31F3-4A86-B288-40274CC31859.thumb.png.d6b15cda68fd11154bca41d3ee11ef62.png

Heights more expansive between Scandinavia and Eastern Greenland. And thus, the Low Pressure in the Atlantic over South-Western UK becomes tiny and loses its strength. 

And by 240 hours, that Low has slid over Southern UK and has almost passed away Victory for the Russian/Scandinavian High on the 12Z run.

00Z ECMWF (with the stronger heights to our South-East and more organised Low Pressure out West in the Atlantic) 

B28870DD-497C-43E4-B225-22A5D5B74DA6.thumb.png.f70a8d9f4e2c9c6621a60b1313cb4a3c.png

12Z ECMWF

C10160B4-9271-4D3B-BDEE-51E4AB40A4F0.thumb.jpeg.badabffdc883a2d45b9acb0fed5adc4a.jpeg41CC827C-53A6-426A-9684-C11A0ADE4462.thumb.jpeg.89f21f0b1b67cb1e38ced20c570b21ee.jpeg

Edited by DiagonalRedLine
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Southerly tracking LPs, heavy snow. Also 25c and calm

The models to me are ‘smelling’ heavily of my BFTE (Blast from the East) approaching Xmas time.  ECM and GFS are very pleasing imo

BFTP

• Like 8

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer > Spring > Winter > Autumn :-)
1 minute ago, I remember Atlantic 252 said:

Surely on average the most Westerly/Atlantic dominated period of the year

It falls within the period where the PV is at its strongest, hence why we don’t often see deep cold in the UK in this period.....nothing is impossible though!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow & Thunderstorms
4 minutes ago, Tim Bland said:

This is only a week or so before Xmas and there’s no cold in sight though unfortunately ??‍♂️ So frustrating to keep seeing these Synoptics without any cold to make use of

04DCAED2-B0FB-478E-BDF2-05800FE56A46.gif

21 days from today is long enough for that to change, I find the best chance of snow is usually from Boxing Day through to March anyhow (at least that's how it seems here on the Wirral).

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.
13 minutes ago, dragan said:

2009/2010 was the sweet spot. The first half of January, book ended by snowy tasters in December and more marginal snow events in February. 2013 also made use of the sweet spot, that just went on and on until April. It was 2010/11 that peaked too early.

• Like 2

Posted

For me, I cannot remember a Scandi/Russian high be so persistent.  Normally a bubble of high pressure might start in Scandi but then sink into Eastern Europe etc...but for what seems like weeks it just keeps coming back.

...and I don't want to tempt fate but I actually think it heads a bit more west each time. 

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms and other extremes
1 minute ago, captaincroc said:

For me, I cannot remember a Scandi/Russian high be so persistent.  Normally a bubble of high pressure might start in Scandi but then sink into Eastern Europe etc...but for what seems like weeks it just keeps coming back.

...and I don't want to tempt fate but I actually think it heads a bit more west each time. 

Good to see you back for another year in the madhouse Ben!

I see your interest has been raised as much as mine with regards to the output. Still jealous you have height on your side these days though!