Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model output discussion - The run up to Christmas

Met4Cast

Posted
1 minute ago, Met4Cast said:

MOGREPS I believe.. 

Re: BBC graphics, I wouldn't get too excited. BBC/Meteogroup use raw data at the extended forecast range which is why the BBC chart matches so perfectly with the EC det. In my opinion they've gone downhill since dropping the Met Office. 

Next week is looking interesting though.. because it's so marginal it wouldn't take much of a change to see a rain or snow event.

I don't disagree... I'd rather see snow symbols than the rain variety though !!

Fwiw, temps are being pegged back on the apps now...up here its down to 2s in the day and sub zero at night...

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, General Cluster said:

Personally, I'd like to see an exact copy of 1978-79's synoptics (utterly impossible I know!): I've always been fascinated by 'then and now' comparisons... But, just how similar would things have to be, for such a comparison to be meaningful?

But, be that as it may, the latest GEFS mean NHPs hold plenty of interest::santa-emoji:

npsh500mean-006.png    npsh500mean-144.png

npsh500mean-222.png    npsh500mean-384.png

Wow we could be in luck!! 

• Like 1

Posted
53 minutes ago, feb1991blizzard said:

Where is the split??

image.thumb.png.145feed38ccbbc9e21b34649ad34355a.pngimage.thumb.png.d4ac74fdf738d0c5350156db83e44ec4.png

EPS are a stonker though.

image.thumb.png.e553284ff05039653f6e159d4a59eabc.png

The eps are trending colder and colder ...

Are we developing our own cold pool?

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunderstorms,
9 minutes ago, Mapantz said:

Met Office apps/automated forecast use the UKV model.

UKV doesn't go out to day 7.. 

5 minutes ago, Kentspur said:

My only concern is for us in the SE corner and other Southern/Eastern areas that the M4 line will work its magic it looks like mainly rain for us on those graphics unless it transitions as it clears although the ECM charts people have been posting show accumulations even around London and surrounding areas

Already seems highly likely we are looking at an M4 northwards snow event next week with quite a large north/south split. Parts of Scotland could easily below freezing for a week or more and while further south it’ll be cold for a few days there’s already increasing signs in the ensembles that much milder conditions could punch through before new year. Down here it’ll be hard to beat the 2c max we had on the 7th of December, at the time I said it’s more than likely we would have already seen the coldest day of winter, something that’s still a good bet IMO. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warehamwx.co.uk
Just now, Met4Cast said:

UKV doesn't go out to day 7.. 

For us it does.

I emailed the Met Office a couple of years back about it, and they confirmed it was the UKV.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunderstorms,
Just now, Mapantz said:

For us it does.

I emailed the Met Office a couple of years back about it, and they confirmed it was the UKV.

Weird, the Met Office own website says then UKV only runs to 120hrs.

visual-cortex-of-uk-temperatures.png
WWW.METOFFICE.GOV.UK

The Unified Model is run operationally in a number of configurations for weather forecasting at the Met Office.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warehamwx.co.uk

Don't shoot the messenger! I'm just repeating what they told me in an email.. :ball-santa-emoji:

Let's not get bogged down what those automated forecasts show anyway, it's futile at this range.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunderstorms, Severe Gales, Hot & Sunny or Cold & Sunny!
3 minutes ago, Mapantz said:

For us it does.

1 minute ago, Met4Cast said:

Weird, the Met Office own website says then UKV only runs to 120hrs.

visual-cortex-of-uk-temperatures.png
WWW.METOFFICE.GOV.UK

The Unified Model is run operationally in a number of configurations for weather forecasting at the Met Office.

Interesting regarding beyond 120h.

It certainly shows on the map section of the Met Office APP for the 24/36 hours range.

Currently on the Met Office APP for 24/12: 03:00

1B76C460-B45B-43A3-BC77-44530C608317.thumb.png.b56446d44089633f14fe9618b8b2dc45.png

UKV currently for 24/12: 03:00

2944B1A7-C308-4511-BD8B-E4E524000BB3.thumb.png.35db94f4ae9a17cf3fe57b18e78c5bf9.png

Those charts match up perfectly - Wintry Christmas Eve morning for NW/N/NE Scotland! :santa-emoji:

Hopefully the rest of us throughout the UK and Ireland will join in over the next week or two! :reindeer-emoji:

• Like 8

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy disruptive snowfall.
32 minutes ago, Mapantz said:

Met Office apps/automated forecast use the UKV model.

It doesn't go out far enough to cover their 15 day forecasts.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, snow and more snow!

I like what I see from GFS control extended! 

Posted

Will be looking at models in more detail later, based on cursory glances now, next week promises to be a very messy set up, similar to early December but colder and therefore chances of precipitation being of the snow variety will be higher.

In the short term, upgrade in the cold through Christmas Eve and lasting longer into Christmas Day for many, likely to be coldest Christmas eve and day since 2010, but that's because the last 9 have been so mild.

The trends are fascinating at present, cold blocks holding off the Atlantic and most likely to win, not been able to say that at this stage in winter since 2009.

• Like 8

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: severe storms,snow wind and ice

Surprised no one posted the EPS clusters,only one cluster though

day ten and EXT...:santa-emoji:

20201223141300-7c0d18c75e91100930bf68e562c940b3b1a0a2a8.thumb.png.23e326d006b25765881e1e21e94eb90f.png20201223140833-d142260f4eca93edbbd1143e1d4fa6234d1d7fe9.thumb.png.e9f4ed9d520a36b6da05befb6c21d5d8.png

gefs ens still flat lining around the -5 and the gfs was an outlier towards the end,well to some degree

graphe3_10000_267_31___.thumb.png.cf63d4ecddebfdf0809bb0fd7fc4b404.png

and look at this for a pressure drop

graphe4_10000_266_32___.thumb.png.513b113d37fbfbc50b46daeb8d4de572.png

Edited by Allseasons-si
added more info
  • Like 6

Posted
2 minutes ago, Allseasons-si said:

Surprised no one posted the EPS clusters,only one cluster though

day ten and EXT...:santa-emoji:

20201223141300-7c0d18c75e91100930bf68e562c940b3b1a0a2a8.thumb.png.23e326d006b25765881e1e21e94eb90f.png20201223140833-d142260f4eca93edbbd1143e1d4fa6234d1d7fe9.thumb.png.e9f4ed9d520a36b6da05befb6c21d5d8.png

single cluster when there is a huge spread  showing to our west away from the mid Atlantic ridge? Tbh, I’m a bit surprised the algorithm couldn’t find clusters given that low spread to our east 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Blizzards in winter Hot and sunny in summer...other is simply boring!!
1 hour ago, northwestsnow said:

Goodness that graphic looks brilliant for the Midlands,and Shaky !!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!

EC chart says 38cm !!!!!

Incredible !!!!!

Hi NWS

I wonder how many corrections west or east we will see on the models in the comming days? Perhaps some of the more experienced members can explain what is more likely looking at the current set up....could be squeaky bum time come boxing day to where this low will track .....

Cheers all

Posted
5 minutes ago, goosey007 said:

Hi NWS

I wonder how many corrections west or east we will see on the models in the comming days? Perhaps some of the more experienced members can explain what is more likely looking at the current set up....could be squeaky bum time come boxing day to where this low will track .....

Cheers all

Hi...

In truth this will need watching closely...

The fact the beeb are highlighting the Midlands in particular suggests its the sweet spot 

It ties in with EC too...

Looking good,mores with a bit of altitude...

Edited by northwestsnow

Posted
3 minutes ago, goosey007 said:

Hi NWS

Cheers all

The snow track from a few weeks ago turned out to be a blend of both gfs and ec. I’d say gfs was closer (which isn’t what we would expect).  Of course with this particular little disturbance being around day six it may not even exist come the time ! 

Posted
25 minutes ago, bluearmy said:

single cluster when there is a huge spread  showing to our west away from the mid Atlantic ridge? Tbh, I’m a bit surprised the algorithm couldn’t find clusters given that low spread to our east 

Just gobsmacked...

Contrast to last Winter ,the complete opposite..