Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model Output Discussion - Christmas and New Year

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extremes of all kinds...
21 minutes ago, Decemberof2010 said:

This is going to end up Stonking

However I may or may not had too much coffee

C127211B-5E19-4151-820C-C851B338E630.png

Potentially historic chart, that.   If we get close to that in early January the weather will be making headlines.  One thing we can’t complain about this winter is a lack of eye-candy.....

• Like 5

Posted
4 minutes ago, Anti-Mild said:

I wish I could be comfortable with dismissing the MetO's forecasted HP for January, but it wouldn't be the first time they stuck to their guns and came out looking like forecasting wizards.

Well, it's either low or high, so they'll be right some of the time by the law of averages...!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: WINTERS WITH HEAVY DISRUPTIVE SNOWFALL AVRAGE SPRING HOT SUMMERS.
8 minutes ago, sheikhy said:

My thoughts on this are that met 9 times out of 10 will go for the default outcome which is the milder weather or high pressure over the uk scenario!!its just easier for them cos lets be honest a lot of the times in the past models will be forecasting cold but mild average bore fest wins out!they are very crafty when it comes to situation like this!!looks for last minite wording/changes to their forecasts!!just my opinion!!?‍♂️

I agree with that however with the continuity from model like the GFS and to an extent ECMW if they cannot discount it and me I would’ve thought put something in in the extended text forecast just out of interest they have issued yellow ice warning for some areas including the West Midlands

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted
1 minute ago, sheikhy said:

Looks like it mate❄

Doesn't look like that to me. The height anomaly is more Atlantic than Greenland, indicating a leakage of less cold air into the mixer and keeping things very marginal for snow.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

What a strange run... it starts with a bit of a dog's breakfast and end with a bit of a dog's breakfast: the cold air looks like it's being held in a half-Nelson... With a lot of it [the cold air] staying close to Blighty, for the foreseeable?:santa-emoji:

h500slp.png    h850t850eu.png

Which, after so many years of seeing the situation reversed, cannae be a bad thing!?

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: January 1987 / July 2006
9 minutes ago, mountain shadow said:

Doesn't look like that to me. The height anomaly is more Atlantic than Greenland, indicating a leakage of less cold air into the mixer and keeping things very marginal for snow.

Are you the Irish Terrier? 

A little more optism would not go a miss. I know it is good to not get carried away, but we are not looking at a 2015 or 1989 nightmare scenario here.

The models and cold spells in particular usually end up being a bit of a compromise, but at least we are not looking at dusting the BBQ off.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Posted
18 minutes ago, Anti-Mild said:

I wish I could be comfortable with dismissing the MetO's forecasted HP for January, but it wouldn't be the first time they stuck to their guns and came out looking like forecasting wizards.

Will be interesting to see if their outlook changes in the next few days or the models start coming around to their way of thinking

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storm, drizzle

An Arctic Northernly within day 8 and possibility. Zonal Jet tracking South More Than Normal. 

gensnh-0-1-48.png

gensnh-0-1-84.png

gensnh-0-1-108.png

gensnh-0-1-156.png

gensnh-0-1-186.png

• Like 4

Posted
36 minutes ago, sheikhy said:

My thoughts on this are that met 9 times out of 10 will go for the default outcome which is the milder weather or high pressure over the uk scenario!!its just easier for them cos lets be honest a lot of the times in the past models will be forecasting cold but mild average bore fest wins out!they are very crafty when it comes to situation like this!!looks for last minite wording/changes to their forecasts!!just my opinion!!?‍♂️

I'll respond to this post in the UK Met thread, not here

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Posted
8 minutes ago, Sheldon Cooper said:

For those who remember 2010 THIS is almost a Carbon Copy of that Jet Stream. Within a Few Days we can expect Snow. 

gensnh-0-3-60.thumb.png.4d1846b3390390949b17dde2e179b809.pnggensnh-0-3-78.thumb.png.ccc5132d80433b47304b0a74573b950e.png

Greenland high blocking allowing for a Path to a long lasting Low. 

gensnh-0-1-78.thumb.png.52a95526202ce522d3b8822dd17f61bd.png

To the Anomoly I just say Wow. 

gensnh-0-5-84.thumb.png.1d187586b51083eba44e0acdc6ae6441.pnggensnh-0-5-102.thumb.png.9dbcf2e5a5174a3473f4b5d9ad7c7f7b.png

Today we can also expect Snow so even though it may not seem like it keep your cameras ready as the Model is Bullish about the Snow chance. 

gensfr-0-2-102.thumb.png.9ace925f17c86c5e3c35264bc34c9085.png

And we still have a good bit of Weather to Come although non split for the moment. 

gensnh-17-7-96.thumb.png.c9736e26185b648bfd8c49be05affcff.png

That snow chart is for the 28th not today 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storm, drizzle
5 minutes ago, steveinsussex said:

That snow chart is for the 28th not today 

It's hard to see, I downloaded the one for Today but it didn't work, I'll change the Post the Trouble is I'm doing this one my Phone. 

Posted

@Allseasons-si and @Sheldon Cooper  be careful with strat temp charts 

the temp charts in the strat are not the same as the height charts which will show if there is a split or not. 

take the 06z gfs    - I have ringed the two vortices on the wind flow chart.  They don’t match the temps ! 

image.thumb.png.87199382a7095e94d436ac936b355e82.pngimage.thumb.png.718856e19dfb0c99e568276be61dbdc4.png     

• Like 3
  • Thanks 4