Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

South East and East Anglia Weather Discussion January 2021 onwards

Blessed Weather

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy snow and ice days
3 minutes ago, Frostbite1980 said:

I would pay a fortune to have this all over again.....maybe we can all chip in?

That Francis Wilson bit where he pauses and then says “.... it’s all downhill from here”. Priceless!

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and storms
3 minutes ago, lawrenk said:

That Francis Wilson bit where he pauses and then says “.... it’s all downhill from here”. Priceless!

And where he says temps will rise to -5

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything interesting!

I called these guys to inject some fresh impetus into the MOD for the upcoming apocalypse, but apparently even they think it's going to be marginal. 

220px-Boom_boom_boom.jpg

• Like 2

Posted
4 minutes ago, Paul Sherman said:

For our younger members just watch this Video from about 1 min onwards to see just what a true beast from the east can do. Whole Trains buried.

Amazing video thank you 

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot summers, Storms and epic cold snowy winters
1 hour ago, Frostbite1980 said:

Yep I think so, it seems you can't have a personal opinion in there if it doesn't suggest -20 temps and raging blizzards 

Clearly emotions are running on overdrive, I can only guess with the utter pandemic issue, restrictions and so on some are just looking and not reading between the lines in daily runs for something that resembles day after tomorrow scenario, then the opinions start and it enters off the scale mode. We all want to get involved with the lovely recipe a Winter in the UK can bring, but this is the UK even more so the S/E its never easy and can be an utter roller coaster of a ride to see the lovely white stuff all around, We are all guilty of the classic (Lamp Post Watch) and always will be. I think as the Tornado Wizard stated just got to wait for awhile longer and the Lack of The Murr 20 a day posts suggest just wait awhile longer....After all I believe from what I have read the second SSW warming has only just taken place...so daily out put is very likely to still be unresolved with any certainties of where we will be. I think Ed will update us regarding that. After all thinking about it, What can we all do right now with 14 inches of Snow and -10.....Stay In ???  

• Like 4

Posted
4 minutes ago, westHimalayanfoothills said:

does anyone remember any channel low or battlegroud snow from which london and south east recieved significant snow. Just wanted to look up the charts from the archive.

I believe the winter of 1947 had a few of them

• Like 1

Posted
  • Location: Hayward’s Heath - home, Brighton/East Grinstead - work.
  • Location: Hayward’s Heath - home, Brighton/East Grinstead - work.
2 minutes ago, Paul Sherman said:

For our younger members just watch this Video from about 1 min onwards to see just what a true beast from the east can do. Whole Trains buried.

Lol. No comparison to a lot of cold rain and sleet

• Like 4

Posted
Just now, chionomaniac said:

Lol. No comparison to a lot of cold rain and sleet

Yh I guess you right  Ed

• Like 2

Posted
4 minutes ago, Frostbite1980 said:

I believe the winter of 1947 had a few of them

@chionomaniac also I don't think the uppers in the winter of 47 were that cold either were they? Not saying we are looking at a 47 winter but just clinging onto the hope we can get something decent this winter 

Posted

Vividly remember walking to school as a five year old in 87 with my mum. My earliest memory of real cold. 

I couldn't catch my breath. Was exciting but bloody scary at that age! 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...
7 minutes ago, westHimalayanfoothills said:

does anyone remember any channel low or battlegroud snow from which london and south east recieved significant snow. Just wanted to look up the charts from the archive.

Early January 1968: Monday night into Tuesday... a whopper of a blizzard!

• Like 1

Posted
2 hours ago, BenFreeman_91 said:

Hello, I would be grateful if somone could provide their view on snow chances for tomorrow / Thursday? I live 10 miles north of Peterborough and I have seen a couple of posts hinting that Peterborough could get some now? Met Office app showing cold rain for two days!

Yeah I'm wondering too plz, also in peterborough and app now says 100% chance of snow for tomorro and thursday, just doesn't match up any other forecasts I've seen, has anything changed? 

Posted

Lol, for all that's happened in the MOD Thread today, Probably going to be an absolute CARLING of a Pub Run. 

• Like 1

Posted

I remember jan 87 I was a toddler, but still can remember snow drift to the top of the fence panels, remember feb 91 as well, so many snow falls in that cold spell great times, best snow fall since then was dec 10 and March 2013

Posted
1 minute ago, hurricane-anna said:

Yeah I'm wondering too plz, also in peterborough and app now says 100% chance of snow for tomorro and thursday, just doesn't match up any other forecasts I've seen, has anything changed? 

Well never say never...

Posted
25 minutes ago, Number 23 said:

Vividly remember walking to school as a five year old in 87 with my mum. My earliest memory of real cold. 

I couldn't catch my breath. Was exciting but bloody scary at that age! 

One for you then! Watch to the end

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

Posted
9 minutes ago, Frostbite1980 said:

One for you then! Watch to the end

Now that's what I call a proper cold spell. Nothing marginal about that

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms & Snow
46 minutes ago, Paul Sherman said:

Good ol' diesels trying to power through. No doubt trains now would get stuck by under half of that. Amazing video.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm summers but not too hot and colder winters with frost and snow

Lovely reminiscing over those videos with Ian Mac and Francis Wilson!!They were the days??❄️

warmest day of the year here today hit 8 exactly and after heavy overnight rain that lasted till about 9.30 here things slowly dried out and a tiny bit of wintry sunshine before it got dark.Temperature down to 0.9 now but tomorrow and Thursday look ghastly days with steady rain and temperatures of about6 or 7.Then the period of interest begins although the colder weather still way in FI and as others have said the landing date MAY be around 20th.

Off to watch those videos again of 1991 just for old times sake.

Stay safe people.

Posted

Maximum temperature was 8.3 at 415 this morning, highest temp since boxing day. Fell steadily all day and now -0.2 with a good frost already.

Edited by snowblind

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, T Storms.
53 minutes ago, Jason T said:

Lol, for all that's happened in the MOD Thread today, Probably going to be an absolute CARLING of a Pub Run. 

Wish I had read it.

Posted

Thanks for posting those  videos, great viewing but boy does it make me feel old. 34 years ago but seems like only yesterday. Great memories of 1987, 30cm of snow and -7 max temps and that was on the North East outskirts of London. Only time I remember having any time off school due to snow.

In February 1991 I was at university in Swansea. I remember it being absolutely freezing and we did have about 10cms of snow. I knew there would be more at home so I decided to go back at the weekend. It was a long train journey from South Wales, through London and out to the eastern burbs. Don't remember there being too many problems except on the last part of the journey where they were running a shuttle service between Barking and Upminster. It was a magical mile walk home from the station that Friday evening and well worth the trip. Great to see my parents, obviously, but the snow was the best bit. They knew I was a weather geek so I think they understood that the snow was the main attraction.

Although the February 1991 spell had slightly higher tempertures, -5 max on the coldest days as opposed to -7, there was more snow at my location, 34cms.  Also towards the end of the spell there was another snowfall of about 10cms, which only affected the South East, I think, due to the cold air hanging on there.

Great memories.

• Like 3