Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

South East, London and East Anglia regional discussion - 8th February onwards

Captain Shortwave

3 minutes ago, Freeze said:

Yes although the weather has been very dull, it's been a long time since I've seen everything so lush and green. Everything is overgrown. It's usually dead yellow grass and parched land at this time of year especially the last few years. It's nice to see plants and trees so alive.

Imagine how much CO2 is being sucked out the atmosphere as well with everything in over drive.. I have thought what the implications to plants would be as Humans put more available CO2 in the air.. one of the key ingredients plants need to grow  

Posted
22 minutes ago, alexisj9 said:

My garden gets over grown every three weeks now, plus the biggest dandelions I've ever seen, thigh hight. Not now, when they flowered, and couldn't get to the strimmer, earlier in the year.

A lot of things are behind my limelight hydrangea for one which loves sun. Reflects the cloudy nature I don’t care about out of control weeds. And yes the grass is green as it is 90% of year.... 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, T Storms.
8 minutes ago, Daniel* said:

A lot of things are behind my limelight hydrangea for one which loves sun. Reflects the cloudy nature I don’t care about out of control weeds. And yes the grass is green as it is 90% of year.... 

My roses are the best I've ever seen them, and the mulberry has gone nuts, that grows fast even in bad conditions.

• Like 2

Posted
6 minutes ago, alexisj9 said:

My roses are the best I've ever seen them, and the mulberry has gone nuts, that grows fast even in bad conditions.

Yes roses are doing well this year vigorous growth think this is my second or third bloom.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...
24 minutes ago, Surrey said:

Imagine how much CO2 is being sucked out the atmosphere as well with everything in over drive.. I have thought what the implications to plants would be as Humans put more available CO2 in the air.. one of the key ingredients plants need to grow  

Well, unless your bamboo makes enough biomass to make up for Brazilian de-forestation operations, I think you're being a tad whimsical there, Luke? And CO2 has never been in short supply, has it, unlike trace elements and such?

But, other than those wee nitpicks, I agree with you 100%; since late May things just keep getting greener and greener. And long may it continue. Barring a window-of-opportunity in which harvesting can proceed. of course. We wouldn't want all this lovely plant-growth going to waste now, would we?

Even those human-shaped lobsters, lounging on Bournemouth's beach, need to eat something!

7 minutes ago, Ed Stone said:

Well, unless your bamboo makes enough biomass to make up for Brazilian de-forestation operations, I think you're being a tad whimsical there, Luke? And CO2 has never been in short supply, has it, unlike trace elements and such?

But, other than those wee nitpicks, I agree with you 100%; since late May things just keep getting greener and greener. And long may it continue. Barring a window-of-opportunity in which harvesting can proceed. of course. We wouldn't want all this lovely plant-growth going to waste now, would we?

Even those human-shaped lobsters, lounging on Bournemouth's beach, need to eat something!

This is the single biggest issue and threat to our planet de forestation. The issue lies with education, greed and money with probably added population growth in these areas. So many species lost to one desire to expand and create space. So sad. Agreed.. you could have giant carbon catches and nothing would compare to what is being lost. Even worse is some if not a lot is driven by the west...

• Like 1

Posted

Well its been a dreary wet day so far, almost non stop drizzle or rain and 14c.....and Id still take this compared to 30+c heat  

Posted

Yes here has been the same BB but this grey murk really feels more like anything but summer and is becoming very depressing. Seems the only thing that appreciates this weather are all the trees bushes and hedgerows which all look very lush.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: 30 Degrees of pure British Celsius

Another poor day here...looking out the window I can see my jungle of a garden growing by the second, again drizzly cloudy muck today and only 16c! woeful but saying that could be living in British Columbia and going through days of 40c+ - I know what I'd rather have!

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine. And storms
1 hour ago, Blazerblue said:

Well its been a dreary wet day so far, almost non stop drizzle or rain and 14c.....and Id still take this compared to 30+c heat  

I knew I should have cut the grass last night but I was too knackered from installing new chicken fencing.

The longer it gets, the wetter it stays and the longer the gaps between cutting. By the time I get back from a weekend away it'll be almost 2 weeks instead of every 5 days!

And don't get me started on the poxy convolvulus trying to throttle the hemerocallis, the phlox etc and as for black fly.....ARRGH!

• Like 1

Posted

Here in the far west of the region I almost thought the sun was going to break through, but for now it has retreated.

Don't think it will be too long before the sun comes through again though, may get a good evening for places west of London, well lets hope so anyway!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and frost in the winter. Hot and sunny, thunderstorms in the summer.

Well this is the first morning in a while where there is sunshine to start and no low cloud. Plenty of high level stuff at the moment though.

• Like 1

Posted

It's a beautiful day, at last. T shirt school run this morning, and not coat for rain needed. What a change.

• Like 1

Posted

Have I entered a gardners world discussion.... the only thing was Monty Don. Lol. Sorry Surrey but growing weather apart this has been an utterly pants summer. Yes we had some nice days beginning of June and 30 degrees but hasn't been the greatest outdoor weather. Was hoping this was going to a bbq summer. We are at high summer and you look east and North East and its record breaking heat. The jet stream is in the wrong place traking low pressure after low pressure over us in the southeast and south-west and the North basks in sunshine. Just hoping my staycation in a months time is not washed out. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storm, drizzle

Whilst I've been self-isolating decided to take a few shots, which is your favourite? 

IMG_20210701_135749.jpg

IMG_20210701_135723.jpg

IMG_20210701_135708.jpg

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and frost in the winter. Hot and sunny, thunderstorms in the summer.

The high cloud has cleared to leave sunny spells and fair weather cloud. Finally reached the 20c for the first time in a few days.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy and thundery.
1 hour ago, Eagle Eye said:

Whilst I've been self-isolating decided to take a few shots, which is your favourite? 

IMG_20210701_135749.jpg

IMG_20210701_135723.jpg

IMG_20210701_135708.jpg

They are all lovely. My daughter and I have 3 days left of ours. 

Sunny and warm here. 

• Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: hot sunny summers to ripen the veg and cold snowy winters of course

What a beautiful evening, such a change after yesterday, which felt more like Autumn. My OH has cut the overlong grass and I'm pruning the vigorous roses, and enjoying a glass of wine on the patio - just like Summer should be

Posted

Thick fog here in Hailsham this morning. It looks more like November than July.

Posted

Cloudy morning again, much less of a breeze today, supposedly the sun will make an appearance later, hope so, gotta get some washing dry before the rain this weekend comes along. 

Posted
2 hours ago, Crepuscular Ray said:

Thick fog here in Hailsham this morning. It looks more like November than July.

Welcome to my world, had fog every day that the upper flow was heading north east this month, as the lower flow was mostly heading SSW so it was hot over cold. Been a mare off year for visibility. Having looked out now, yep foggy again, what a summer 

Edited by alexisj9

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warmth, sun, blue sky, and the odd bit of snow on a weekend would do nicely

This has to be the worst 2 and half weeks of summer that I have seen since 2012, just without the rain….since mid June i don’t think we have seen sun from dawn til dusk, been cool, with temps only around 18c or below, only thing luckily is there hasn’t been much rain. Never known such a year where here in the east we have had a nagging north wind basically since early spring….We all know by winter it will go and won’t make appearance when we want it to….

Not nothing to cheer about either this weekend ( hopefully only the football) not overly exciting for the next 2 weeks either, then before we know it, summer will be nearly over…

• Like 1

Posted

Had blue skies appearing over the last hour, still a lot of cloud, but the sun is slowly coming through  

Edit: Just seen a weather warning for suffolk (assume other areas too) for thunderstorms all day tomorrow, starting from 6am.....come on then, bring it on   

Edited by Blazerblue
  • Like 1