Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

South East, London and East Anglia regional discussion - 8th February onwards

Captain Shortwave

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: hot sunny summers to ripen the veg and cold snowy winters of course
5 minutes ago, Met4Cast said:

I've been staring at the radar waiting for it, I should have looked out the window!

That usually happens to me too

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, T Storms.
12 minutes ago, lottiekent said:

No way is that going to rain - it’s below freezing everywhere in Kent that I can see.

Temp here is -1.9c and DP is -4c and I’m a mile from the sea with think ice and 2”+ of snow on the ground.

29C9F822-1482-4F3E-B389-1B01B04180D5.thumb.jpeg.8481ff4ede3a999967f6966d2b7570f8.jpeg

I was only messing, it -3 here with a DP of-5 I'm really not worried at all, plus it's snowing again.

• Like 1

Posted

To see the strange power of streamers have a look at the radar for The Wash streamer and look at the sudden heavier blob near...Hereford!

Screenshot 2021-02-08 at 19.45.40.png

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: BEASTERLYS

Fresh dusting on car in last 10 mins..

Ppn getting heavier here in Thanet.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Very Hot,Very cold.scared of thunder and lightning.

All I can say is.....boom

• Like 3

Posted
58 minutes ago, Stabilo19 said:

This ppn intensity ain't cutting it, we need more yellow and orange echos rather than blues and greens. 

Hope a proper streamer starts soon

Agreed the showers lack intensity thus far. Not expecting much unless they pep up.

Posted

Back snowing in Folkestone, light - but not as light as the dust as @lottiekentdescribed what we had earlier today. Looks like that radar is showing a few more hours of bits and pieces for down here.

• Like 2

Posted
3 hours ago, kold weather said:

Whats interesting is here the snow is not really melting at all on the grass at least, and we have the lightest of dustings which melted in about 2hrs on the road.

I'm wondering whether the snow event I had 2 weeks ago which had snow on the ground for 2 solid days has helped to cool the ground down enough despite the milder temperatures before hand that once the snow and cold arrived again here the ground is just about the right side of things.

It can literally be as lucky as getting clear skies for a few hours. Nothing much was settling all day yesterday, the sky cleared around 7pm for around 3 hours and since then everything has settled and is frozen solid. We had zero snow melt here today. 

Edited by Jason M
  • Like 2

Posted
Just now, prolongedSnowLover said:

I reckon this was it for Berkshire this winter! Oh well

You really need a true E in order for any streamer to come your way, there maybe a brief window but it does look like there is a reasonable northerly element to the steering currents throughout.

I suspect this will be one of those types of events where we see a fairly sustained period of light -moderate snowfalls. We aren't going to be getting anywhere even remotely close to the 25mm+ rates we would have seen in the 09 streamer for example. This one looks like its going to be much more tame. 

However, even a moderate snowfall over a long enough period of time will really start to add up.

Posted

Sorry to moan everyone, iv really had crap snow in this location since 2013, I can’t recall having a decent covering since, beast from the east 2018 came to late first couple of days had some decent heavy snow showers which quickly thawed, then the rest of the time had what my area are getting now light snow giving a dusting but melting on concrete, 2019 had one hour of heavy snow which gave one centimetre and was gone the next morning, last year nothing at all, this year light snow not amounting to anything, metoffice and bbc have teased me the last few days keep forecasting heavy snow, metoffice this morning said for tonight accumulating snow for all areas, tonight they say just for the east. I really think it is bust for my location can’t even get an Atlantic blizzard breakdown, rant over well done to those who have had decent coverings.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm summers but not too hot and colder winters with frost and snow

TSNWK-Temperature here is -2.3@ 7.52.It has risen in last 30 minutes but only by 0.2 degrees so don’t worry about mild sector.In fact -2.3 is the highest we have reached here today.Coldest day here since BFTE in 2018 when -2.8 was highest maxima on one of the days in that spell.

• Like 1

Posted
3 minutes ago, TSNWK said:

Did some one say there is a small mild sector.. it appears that way as I'm at highest all day at -1.2 

Yes, after a day-time maximum of -1.3c, we are now at -1.1C after it fell to -1.6C earlier in the evening.  The breeze is strong enough that this isn't due to clear/cloudy variations, but the very feeble warmer sector.

Posted
4 minutes ago, Jason M said:

It can literally be as lucky as getting clear skies for a few hours. Nothing much was settling all day yesterday, the sky cleared around 7pm for around 3 hours and since then everything has settled and is frozen solid. We had zero snow melt here today. 

Exactly the same here zero snow melt under leaden grey skies with bits and pieces of snow. Then skies cleared 30 minutes b4 sunset and Cb Towers were evident to my east. But like you snow pack left same depth now topped up a bit

• Like 1