Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Autumn 2021 - Moans, Ramps & Chat

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Bright weather. Warm sunny thundery summers, short cold winters.
12 hours ago, damianslaw said:

Hibernation time for me starts 2 January and lasts roughly to mid Feb. 

For me it's a month earlier than that: December and the first 20 days or so of January is the period that I would choose to hibernate above all others, or perhaps more accurately, not hibernate, but get out of the UK to somewhere further south or east, i.e. sunnier and/or snowier. It's shockingly dark, the leaves have fallen off the trees,  there are no signs of spring yet, and, more than any other time of year, zonality rules.

November is still autumn, so the trees are nice.

Late January, and more definitely February, the nights are drawing out, and there are early signs of spring - or if there aren't, it's interestingly cold. Plus, the raging zonality of early-midwinter tends to calm down somewhat in this period.

Edited by Summer8906
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet

-QBO continued to strengthen in October to -0.9. 

-ONI has strengthened to ~0.8. 

PDO and AO data waiting but both were probably negative in October. 

• Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines

The 2 week spell of beautiful sunny weather has come to an end here, with rain and mist moving in slowly today. A period of steady rain now setting in and feeling chilly. The rain is needed so no complaints. 

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heat, sun and thunderstorms in summer. Cold sunny days and snow in winter

I am looking forward to having a frost or two here and there over the coming days. It is something that has been in short supply so far this autumn. 

• Like 5

Posted
9 hours ago, Summer8906 said:

For me it's a month earlier than that: December and the first 20 days or so of January is the period that I would choose to hibernate above all others, or perhaps more accurately, not hibernate, but get out of the UK to somewhere further south or east, i.e. sunnier and/or snowier. It's shockingly dark, the leaves have fallen off the trees,  there are no signs of spring yet, and, more than any other time of year, zonality rules.

November is still autumn, so the trees are nice.

Late January, and more definitely February, the nights are drawing out, and there are early signs of spring - or if there aren't, it's interestingly cold. Plus, the raging zonality of early-midwinter tends to calm down somewhat in this period.

Christmas keeps me going through December, without it, I'd hibernate now until February!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heat, sun and thunderstorms in summer. Cold sunny days and snow in winter
15 hours ago, Polar Maritime said:

Some posts have been hidden, No more Covid discussion please in here, This is a weather related thread.

Thanks 

Sick of hearing about it everywhere I go. So thanks. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.
On 01/11/2021 at 11:35, Summer8906 said:

I tend to find that on the occasion that zonality continues much beyond New Year, that it gets more interesting. Nov and Dec are the more southwesterly months, by January there’s much more swing towards Pm. And on the even rarer occasion that zonality lasts beyond midmonth, one can start anticipating snow showers from a westerly.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer > Spring > Winter > Autumn :-)
1 hour ago, Turnedoutniceagain said:

We have a frost !!

*message ends*

We also had a frost here! Temps dropped to around 0c just before sunrise. No wind and blue skies, this is the sort of late Autumn weather I enjoy. I don't bother looking for warmth now as it's too late in the year really. It was nice having those high teens days in October, but we're beyond that now.

Stick your wind and rain. Give me 3 months of calm and frosty mornings!

Edited by mb018538
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Posted

What a beautiful crisp and sunny late autumn morning. There was even a frost too!

Let's have more mornings like this please. ☀️

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Clear blue skies!

2 lovely November mornings in a row! Cool, crisp and clear blue skies. I may be a Spring & Summer lover but days like this in Autumn are great. Makes a nice change from the usual grey and rainy muck. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Bright weather. Warm sunny thundery summers, short cold winters.
13 hours ago, MP-R said:

I tend to find that on the occasion that zonality continues much beyond New Year, that it gets more interesting. Nov and Dec are the more southwesterly months, by January there’s much more swing towards Pm. And on the even rarer occasion that zonality lasts beyond midmonth, one can start anticipating snow showers from a westerly.

I think that's definitely the case in February, which has more Pm interludes than the darkest months. Not so sure about January though. A common pattern (not so much seen in recent years) was that the first three weeks or so were mild, dull, wet and windy with SW winds, and then an anticyclonic interlude would take hold late Jan marking the end of the 'worst' period of the year. Such a pattern was seen in 2007 and 2008, for instance.

Posted
5 hours ago, mb018538 said:

We also had a frost here! Temps dropped to around 0c just before sunrise. No wind and blue skies, this is the sort of late Autumn weather I enjoy. I don't bother looking for warmth now as it's too late in the year really. It was nice having those high teens days in October, but we're beyond that now.

Stick your wind and rain. Give me 3 months of calm and frosty mornings!

Amen! A nice bright frosty sunny morning. I loved it!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot, dry & sunny

Cold night to come for some, Benson already down to 3°C and it's not even 6pm!

Perfect autumnal weather 

minbrr.thumb.png.4f96e46450e2d2658abf6125f9313481.png

• Like 1

Posted
On 02/11/2021 at 13:25, Summer8906 said:

I think that's definitely the case in February, which has more Pm interludes than the darkest months. Not so sure about January though. A common pattern (not so much seen in recent years) was that the first three weeks or so were mild, dull, wet and windy with SW winds, and then an anticyclonic interlude would take hold late Jan marking the end of the 'worst' period of the year. Such a pattern was seen in 2007 and 2008, for instance.

Sure, in the ‘mild winters’, I’m talking more typical winters. Southwesterlies are at their peak in November in December.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warehamwx.co.uk

The mist caught up with me! When I dropped down in to a valley which was 5 feet below sea level, the temp showed -1°C.

20211102_223625.thumb.jpg.b1f506b39d21d0239e21071a681a0632.jpg 20211102_222014.thumb.jpg.0a8cabd05a444ef378926d0f79709d28.jpg

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot

My (poorly placed) weather station got to 0.3C. It turns out my new house is also bloody freezing

• Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hoar Frost, Snow, Misty Autumn mornings

Got down to -2C near me:

default_card_315.jpg
WWW.METOFFICE.GOV.UK

Marham last 24 hours weather including temperature, wind, visibility, humidity and atmospheric pressure

Beautiful morning out walking the dog at 7am. Frost, low-level mist, and clear blue skies above. Who couldn't want that?

Posted

First air frost of the season, incidentally on the same Wednesday in November as last year.

-0.7°C the minimum. May have gone lower if it hasn’t clouded over.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: T storms, severe gales, heat and sun, cold and snow

If November stayed like this it'd be perfect. Frosty, sunny and crisp, lovely. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything below 0c or above 20c. Also love a good thunderstorm!

It's certainly been a pleasant few days with crisp sunny conditions. I'm hoping we haven't bottomed out or reached the level of temperatures we'll see for the rest of Winter. 

Of course this can and does happen such as two years ago, Got to 10c early November and that was it until early April!

Anyway no point dwelling too much, just cautious realism that we could be let down assuming most want cold and dry. 

Fingers crossed that Euro high doesn't show up like an uninvited gatecrasher

Edited by Bradley in Kent

Posted

Daily Mail suggesting a wintry end to November quoting the Met Office monthly outlook. Maybe something to look forward to.

Looking ahead to the period from November 18 to December 2, the Met Office says: 'Through this period, there is an increased chance of wintry showers from the north and northwest, initially over higher ground but also a low risk at lower levels later in the month.

'While there is little sign of prolonged, widespread settled weather, conditions are likely to be less stormy and windy. Where there are more settled spells, frost and fog are increasingly likely, with temperatures slightly colder than average. Overall remaining drier than average.'

BBC Weather's forecast for this period said: 'Moving into the second half of November, we should see an overall colder pattern begin to take shape.' It added: 'High pressure near Greenland will help direct colder air from the north towards the UK, leading to a period of below normal temperatures. 

50043545-0-image-a-31_1636013449979.jpg
WWW.DAILYMAIL.CO.UK

The start of November has brought a significant drop in temperatures from the previous week, with many parts of the UK seeing frosts and struggling to get into double...