Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Autumn 2021 - Moans, Ramps & Chat

Posted
50 minutes ago, NEVES SCREAMER said:

Lovely week ahead. No frost. No ice . No snow. Lovely.

Just like the same week last year. Second week of November hardly ever cold. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heat, sun and thunderstorms in summer. Cold sunny days and snow in winter

Each to our own, but I do find it a little weird that someone on a weather enthusiast's forum would be excited about nothingness. At any time of the year.

I personally think cold spells and sunny crisp mornings at this time of the year as well as hot spells and thunderstorms during the summer add some interest to our weather. Neither cold or hot spells usually last long anyway.

But like I say, each to our own. 

Edited by Weather Enthusiast91
  • Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry and sunny with a gentle breeze ?
9 hours ago, NEVES SCREAMER said:

It’s nice to balance out the discussion I’m hoping for what others describe as boring winter weather. I live in a house with no central heating and the fuel prices going up will hit a lot of people hard this year. Frosty and snowy weather looks pretty when you can return to a warm home at the end of the day. 

Edited by Gooddaysunshine
  • Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow Snow and more Snow!
3 hours ago, RJBingham said:

I think it's odd, on a weather forum, that some try to censor people, that like the "wrong" kind of weather.

The winter is the worst time of year for that kind of behaviour.

If/when snow begins to fall some of the toys getting thrown out of prams on here are phenomenal to see. People angry with other regions, people claiming it is the start of a blizzard while others say it isn't even real snow. 

The mod team do a brilliant job on here in my humble opinion, but it can get a bit mad.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer > Spring > Winter > Autumn :-)
14 hours ago, NEVES SCREAMER said:

It's lovely when it's like this. Calm, no wind, suns out, temps into the low teens. Definitely makes the grind that is winter more bearable for people like me who prefer the spring and summer. 

• Like 5

Posted
3 hours ago, mb018538 said:

It's lovely when it's like this. Calm, no wind, suns out, temps into the low teens. Definitely makes the grind that is winter more bearable for people like me who prefer the spring and summer. 

Well, it's preferable to the wet and extremely dull and gloomy weather here today.  Persistent rain and 8c at lunchtime and too gloomy to read without lights on.  Walked pass a bunch of police patrolling the shores of Loch Lomond by throwing stones in it (obviously to flush out any eco warriors who got lost on the way to Glasgow)

The COP 26 delegates probably think the gales and heavy rain since they've been here is due to global warming but we know it's just normal.

• Like 2

Posted
10 hours ago, Gooddaysunshine said:

It’s nice to balance out the discussion I’m hoping for what others describe as boring winter weather. I live in a house with no central heating and the fuel prices going up will hit a lot of people hard this year. Frosty and snowy weather looks pretty when you can return to a warm home at the end of the day. 

There are positives about mild weather in terms if heating bill's and health conditions- reduced risk of cold weather related illnesses. The downsides are when it comes with wet or overcast skies for the mind - mental health not good at all, also for health in terms of encouraging people outside and lack of vitamin D. 

The best combo is mild dry and sunny in the winter months I guess. In the UK mild rarely goes hand in hand with dry and sunny though especially in the north.

• Like 2

Posted
16 hours ago, damianslaw said:

There are positives about mild weather in terms if heating bill's and health conditions- reduced risk of cold weather related illnesses. The downsides are when it comes with wet or overcast skies for the mind - mental health not good at all, also for health in terms of encouraging people outside and lack of vitamin D. 

The best combo is mild dry and sunny in the winter months I guess. In the UK mild rarely goes hand in hand with dry and sunny though especially in the north.

To prove you wrong it is mild sunny and dry today here   . I will no doubt have jinxed it now....

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Clear blue skies!

Forecast of thick cloud and 15 degrees here and yet it has been mostly sunny and feels even higher than 15 degrees! Love when the forecasters get it wrong and it turns out better. Wonder how long the sun can hold out today? 

• Like 1

Posted
2 hours ago, SunSean said:

Forecast of thick cloud and 15 degrees here and yet it has been mostly sunny and feels even higher than 15 degrees! Love when the forecasters get it wrong and it turns out better. Wonder how long the sun can hold out today? 

Been sunny all day here in Cambridge too. Think the cloud is rolling in soon, but its 16c and glorious once again. I'm loving this mild autumn. Only 3 weeks of it left and it hasn't really been cold once yet. No cold in the forecast for the next week either.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Over 18C please!
7 hours ago, SunSean said:

The answer here, was not very long, we had drizzle from about 11am, turned heavier about an hour ago....

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cool, cold, snow and blizzards.

So another mild day and that same old sense of foreboding is already creeping in.  Will it be abother mild winter?  Dominant Euro high all the way through until beyond Christmas?  Long-fetch southwesterlies?  I'm not hopeful at the moment about the coming winter prospects but you never know.

At least the mild weather saves on heating bills I suppose.

• Like 1

Posted
4 hours ago, mb018538 said:

Been sunny all day here in Cambridge too. Think the cloud is rolling in soon, but its 16c and glorious once again. I'm loving this mild autumn. Only 3 weeks of it left and it hasn't really been cold once yet. No cold in the forecast for the next week either.

I think Mother Nature has been 'levelling up' from the awfully cold Spring we had to endure.  

• Like 4

Posted
1 hour ago, Simon M said:

So another mild day and that same old sense of foreboding is already creeping in.  Will it be abother mild winter?  Dominant Euro high all the way through until beyond Christmas?  Long-fetch southwesterlies?  I'm not hopeful at the moment about the coming winter prospects but you never know.

Looks the most likely option at this stage

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Northeasterly Blizzard and sub zero temperatures.
13 hours ago, Staffmoorlands said:

Looks the most likely option at this stage

14 hours ago, Simon M said:

At least the mild weather saves on heating bills I suppose.

Talk about mild. Euro high producing some warmth in the Austrian Alps today. Already 12c at 2000m level with my precious snow melting away as fast as those cold charts shown 48 hour ago ! At least it is nice and sunny. Hope those gloomy SWly being shown disappear from the runs for you guys sooner than later.

C

GFSOPME00_12_2.png

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heat, sun and thunderstorms in summer. Cold sunny days and snow in winter

Most of the trees in my neck of the woods are either bare or almost bare now.

In terms of mild Novembers and mild winters, going by past years a mild November certainly isn't guaranteed to lead to a mild winter. Though I do understand why it would be easy to feel pesimistic at this advanced stage in autumn.

I can think of a few years where mild Novembers have led to cold or coldish winters. Last year's November for example was predominantly mild but we did have a fairly decent winter. The Novembers of 1978, 1981 and 2009 also had many mild days. Even 1962 had some mild days.

So don't give up just yet. 

Edited by Weather Enthusiast91
  • Like 1

Posted
3 hours ago, Weather Enthusiast91 said:

In terms of mild Novembers and mild winters, going by past years a mild November certainly isn't guaranteed to lead to a mild winter. Though I do understand why it would be easy to feel pesimistic at this advanced stage in autumn.

I can think of a few years where mild Novembers have led to cold or coldish winters. Last year's November for example was predominantly mild but we did have a fairly decent winter. The Novembers of 1978, 1981 and 2009 also had many mild days. Even 1962 had some mild days.

86 was a mild autumn, but the January following was very cold.

However, mild Novembers like 1994 and 1997 were followed by stinky wet and mild winters.

I still think we will get a decent winter and one dumping of snow at some stage between mid December and mid February.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cool & dry, with regular cold, snowy periods.
5 hours ago, Weather Enthusiast91 said:

In terms of mild Novembers and mild winters, going by past years a mild November certainly isn't guaranteed to lead to a mild winter. Though I do understand why it would be easy to feel pessimistic at this advanced stage in autumn.

Conversely, most of the trees in my locale, are still full in leaf; and more green than red/yellow/brown. It seems as if nature is anything from 2-4 weeks behind.

I'm hoping for a 2009 style winter, after a mild autumn (and November was wet).

• Like 1

Posted
3 hours ago, HafrenLMP1 said:

Conversely, most of the trees in my locale, are still full in leaf; and more green than red/yellow/brown. It seems as if nature is anything from 2-4 weeks behind.

I'm hoping for a 2009 style winter, after a mild autumn (and November was wet).

It was also sunny and cold during late December into January 2010. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything below 0c or above 20c. Also love a good thunderstorm!
On 10/11/2021 at 10:31, Weather Enthusiast91 said:

I'm with you on that one, I remember in 2009 some awful condition in November with a Euro High and being caught under a humid rain conveyer belt; I don't think those in the NW need reminding. I was 15 then and although I had less experience reading charts, it didn't look good for early winter. Then December came round and a Scandi High started building and at perfect timing on my last week of term, the snow arrived after a few frosty days. Even as a teenager, I have very fond memories of coming home after my last day where the tree was up and the snow started falling under a NE'ly streamer. First day of the holidays was a joyous day of sledging and snowball fights. The snow lasted all the way to Boxing Day when I went skiing for a week. Then returning after New Year the snow was back and lasted most of January. I think I experienced a whole month of not seeing grass!

Moral of the story, it's early November and too early to write anything off just yet. If we're seeing the charts we're seeing today in a months time, I'll call the idea of a front-loaded winter off!

Edited by Bradley in Kent
  • Thanks 1

Posted
6 minutes ago, knocker said:

GLOSEA updated

Break out the PROZAC

FD5_EOUXMAA6lr-.thumb.png.590bd5974800b163cf2c2d814f8b554b.pngFD5-8b0XMAI_NvB.thumb.png.634c931fca0a3a4e90956162caa4b402.png

Ahhh - a Euro high and a Greenlan/Iceland trough. That's a new one for a UK winter!

• Like 1