Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Have you turned your heating on yet?

stewfox

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and dry, thunderstorms, mild temps (13-22°C).

Poor little boiler working its nuts off to get the heating going.... I could use some of that forced air stuff right now.

• Like 2

Posted
4 minutes ago, *Stormforce~beka* said:

Interesting! Thank you. Is it cheaper to run?

As far as I'm aware, it's six and two threes, i.e. not much difference, though the fact it gets up to temperature more quickly might be an advantage if you're out of the house a lot throughout the day.

Its original advantage in the past was that you could use the same system for heating and cooling, though these days, there is more flexibility with heating/cooling options.

• Thanks 1
  • Insightful 1

Posted
13 minutes ago, *Stormforce~beka* said:

Interesting! Thank you. Is it cheaper to run?

I have forced air heating in my bungalow which was built in 1971. All the bungalows on the cul-de-sac where I live had that heating but many have had it removed and replaced with radiators. Personally I find it very efficient and the only moving part is the fan, and of course there is no water involved. The current boiler was installed in 1999 and replaced the original which was still working but the electrics were a bit iffy.

Very often it gets a very thorough annual service as they are thin on the ground and trainees with instructers turn up to get shown how to deal with a warm air boiler.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted
4 minutes ago, PeteG said:

I have forced air heating in my bungalow which was built in 1971. All the bungalows on the cul-de-sac where I live had that heating but many have had it removed and replaced with radiators. Personally I find it very efficient and the only moving part is the fan, and of course there is no water involved. The current boiler was installed in 1999 and replaced the original which was still working but the electrics were a bit iffy.

Very often it gets a very thorough annual service as they are thin on the ground and trainees with instructers turn up to get shown how to deal with a warm air boiler.

Why did people change to radiators? It sound good. Although can't convert my brick house to that I guess!

Posted
59 minutes ago, ThunderHellCat said:

I may be lucky in that what is a cold room for many feels relatively comfortable to me, but this is probably because of physiological differences and metabolism, as we ain't all the same. Just how it is but works in my favour in winter, not so much in summer.

I feel unwell when I have to sit in cold environments for long periods.

The summer heatwave didn’t really affect me that much apart from the 40c day.

• Like 1

Posted
4 minutes ago, *Stormforce~beka* said:

Why did people change to radiators? It sound good. Although can't convert my brick house to that I guess!

Forced air systems used boilers (or furnaces, as they are known in North America) that could heat the air only, which meant you needed a separate system to heat your hot water. I don't know if this is still true.

Some people also prefer the fairly quiet operation and radiant heat from radiators.

Furthermore, central AC hasn't really taken off in the UK.

• Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Not too hot, not too cold
On 30/11/2022 at 20:15, Sunny76 said:

We make soups and cook meals for several days at time, so we don’t need to cook every single day.

Yes we have potatoes, fruit and some veg and a few snacks. We wouldn’t go hungry, but like I said, fasting is good for you.

We didn’t do it because the cost of living, but we were looking at ways to improve digestion, and also reduce chances of inflammation.

We’ve watch some of those Doctor Berg videos on YouTube. 

I won’t go without heating, unless it’s an absolute necessity.

We can’t store much though, as we live in a London studio flat. 

If we are hard up, we just go without food.

I’ve watch Dr Eric Bergs videos too. His advice is really good. I’m attempting to start the keto diet he recommends in his videos. I watched the one about kidney stones - worst pain he ever experienced. Best way to prevent a stone? Drink 2.5 litres of water a day!

On 30/11/2022 at 20:20, 78/79 said:

I was telling my lads about when I would go out rabbiting with a ferret and a dozen nets when I was a teenager. Later on , in the 80's, I would go out with a 12 bore on a Saturday morning  and shoot 2 or 3 for the week. Money was tight with 2 kids and a mortgage ,you just done whatever it took to get by.

I guess this isn’t the only time times have been this tough. Maybe people should start doing that again, instead of just going to the supermarket for everything.

On 30/11/2022 at 20:22, Polar Maritime said:

Used to the exactly the same with long nets and purse nests and a 12bore at the ready incase one escaped.... Those were the days! Rabbit or Pheasant stew was my staple diet. Still love it now mind but not as often. Used to shoot ducks and Hares also but I tend to get them off other folk as as I've grown older I don't like killing animals. Also my grandad had the local shoot and used to work on Haddon Estate picking up with my dogs so plenty of free game..

Might be more people going back to that as times get tougher. Can you imagine popping down to your local park or canal, taking out a gun and shooting the ducks and geese! 😬

On 30/11/2022 at 20:33, 78/79 said:

Yep, and when the Ferret decided to lie up, and you had to dig the little beggar out😁

I had a couple of ferrets as pets when I was a kid. They made good pets generally, we had a girl and a boy, but sadly both of them died from cancer. 😕

• Like 1

Posted
6 hours ago, Dreckly said:

I don't have any heating just an open fire, old house did have a fireplace in each room but only one in use now. Do have some portable heaters only for last resort. It doesn't get much above 14c indoors here in really cold spells.

Oh Lord.

I'd get air-to-air heat pumps installed in every room.

Costs £1000-£1500 per room for device and installation, and uses about ⅓ the power of an electric heater for the same heat output, which means it costs about the same as gas to operate, but without the faff and expense of installing a whole new central heating system.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and heatwave
4 hours ago, Sunny76 said:

Heating is on full blast. Opened windows for 20 minutes to air the place, then closed again.

Not going back to water bottles and grandma’s candle to keep warm nonsense.

Too right, swimming trunks for me and if gets to warm open door windows for 30 mins.😎

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Atlantic Storms, Thunder & Lightning, Snow.
1 hour ago, halny said:

Oh Lord.

I'd get air-to-air heat pumps installed in every room.

Costs £1000-£1500 per room for device and installation, and uses about ⅓ the power of an electric heater for the same heat output, which means it costs about the same as gas to operate, but without the faff and expense of installing a whole new central heating system.

Just don't have the money for anything like that unfortunately 😞

Posted
2 hours ago, Dreckly said:

Just don't have the money for anything like that unfortunately 😞

I understand. At the moment, and probably for at least the next year, neither do I.

Electric blankets are great for cosifying a cold room.

• Like 1

Posted
23 minutes ago, halny said:

I understand. At the moment, and probably for at least the next year, neither do I.

Electric blankets are great for cosifying a cold room.

Shame it's so expensive. I have body temp regulation issues (related to an auto-immune nerve problem) and something like that would make it much easier to directly control the temp when I need to. Central heating takes way too long to heat up and cool down! 

Edited by ThunderHellCat
  • Like 2

Posted

It's going on soon. Takes me ages to cool down from walking outside.

On now, got an extra radiator on so it warms up faster, hopefully anyway.

Edited by ThunderHellCat
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine and 15-25c
On 10/12/2022 at 07:23, halny said:

Forced air systems used boilers (or furnaces, as they are known in North America) that could heat the air only, which meant you needed a separate system to heat your hot water. I don't know if this is still true.

Some people also prefer the fairly quiet operation and radiant heat from radiators.

Furthermore, central AC hasn't really taken off in the UK.

yep i have a separate water heater (hot water tank) that supplies hot water to the house 

• Like 1

Posted

Condensate pipe outside my house has frozen so could do with some warmer temperatures to defrost it. Boiler is on first floor and pipes are in an annoying place which is too high to reach safely with a jug of hot water.

Thankfully I figured out it was easy to disconnect the condensate pipe from the boiler which made the boiler happy to start up again. Got the condensate dripping into a bucket which is a bit annoying but less annoying than having no heating. Looking at forecast pipes outside will probably not defrost naturally until Sunday.

Posted

Heating on full afterburner, going up to 14°C and climbing, thermostat is set to 18 but it never gets there 😭

• 10 months later...
Posted

Yeah, it went on for an hour yday eve, and it came on this morning from 06.30 til 9.

Was hoping to keep it off til early Nov, but hey-ho.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm and sunny in the summer, cold and snowy in the winter

Had to put it on for an hour or so this morning.  It was 12 degrees inside when I got up.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot sunny summers, cold snowy winters

no, not yet...

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Storms, and plenty of warm sunny days!

Yep... log burner been lit for the past 4 evenings 🔥

• Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, T Storms.

I never turned it off, as it thermostat controlled, it has clicked on now for the first time, the last two nights.

• Like 1

Posted

Gave in yesterday eve, tried to hold off until November but a couple of cold nights and temps not making 10 degrees resulted in temp hovering around 15 degrees indoors. Too uncomfortable not to have it on. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunderstorms

Yes, we did last week. Thermostat  at 21C has meant it has only come on a few times so far, first thing in the morning.

• Like 1