Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Have you turned your heating on yet?

stewfox

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine and 15-25c
On 08/12/2022 at 00:11, stewfox said:

My gran use to only ever have her main room heated no heat anywhere else in the house. Use to annoy my mum. Back when we had real winters Jan 79 etc.  Born 1906 probably a war mentality re use water in the sink etc. Many folk now take for granted walking around in shorts and tee shirt in your house now in this cold snap should be a fundamental right. Light a match and put a jumper on and if it gets much colder use the match to light a candle for extra warmth. 

my Nan was the same..she basically lived in the back room (dining room) next to the kitchen.. front room was only ever used for best..in fact im sure i was the only person who ever sat in that room only because she had an old walnut radio gramophone and old books and magazines from the 1930s-1950s which i used to sit and read sometimes ..the rest of the house she never used ..the only heating she used was a small gas fire in the back room ..no central heating or anything elsewhere in the house.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Basically intresting weather,cold,windy you name it
15 hours ago, East Lancs Rain said:

Surely everyone must have turned thier heating on by now,

😉.......getting near

• Like 1
  • Insightful 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...
2 minutes ago, markyo said:

😉.......getting near

Oh, come on, mate... It's nae that cold!🤣

• Like 2

Posted
15 hours ago, East Lancs Rain said:

Surely everyone must have turned thier heating on by now, unless they can’t afford to of course.

Yep, even here. It refused to get below the low 20s C until November, but it's definitely cooled off a fair bit in the last month.

Could contain: Outdoors, Nature, Winter, Ice Hockey Puck, Sport, Skating, Plant, Snow, Cityscape, Urban

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and dry, thunderstorms, mild temps (13-22°C).

Heating's been on several hours - now temp's just edging up to 15°C (thermo set to 18). It'll get there eventually 🙄😁

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow in winter, good sun at other times with appropriate rain.

Hell yes!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted
59 minutes ago, Ed Stone said:

Oh, come on, mate... It's nae that cold!🤣

One is getting old....sadly old age is creeping up on me, may have to shut one of the bedroom windows this week!

• Like 2
  • Insightful 1

Posted
53 minutes ago, markyo said:

One is getting old....sadly old age is creeping up on me, may have to shut one of the bedroom windows this week!

Steady on! 😉

• Like 2

Posted
2 minutes ago, *Stormforce~beka* said:

Steady on! 😉

Don't worry, i've still got my 2 fans on in the bedroom....still a way to go yet!😀 

Edited by markyo
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine and 15-25c
7 hours ago, ThunderHellCat said:

Heating's been on several hours - now temp's just edging up to 15°C (thermo set to 18). It'll get there eventually 🙄😁

i have forced air from a furnace in my house ..few if any houses have central heating here...good thing is with forced air it warms up the house very quick ..i will get home today and it will be about 15c in my house ..pop the heating on within an hour its back up to 22c at which point it turns off again.

• Like 2

Posted
49 minutes ago, cheeky_monkey said:

i have forced air from a furnace in my house ..few if any houses have central heating here...good thing is with forced air it warms up the house very quick ..i will get home today and it will be about 15c in my house ..pop the heating on within an hour its back up to 22c at which point it turns off again.

What is forced air and how does it work? Sounds like a cheaper option if it heats up so quickly?

Posted
6 hours ago, markyo said:

Don't worry, i've still got my 2 fans on in the bedroom....still a way to go yet!😀 

Rubbish!! 🤣

Posted
8 hours ago, Don said:

Rubbish!! 🤣

Pray tell, what is rubbish?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Atlantic Storms, Thunder & Lightning, Snow.

I don't have any heating just an open fire, old house did have a fireplace in each room but only one in use now. Do have some portable heaters only for last resort. It doesn't get much above 14c indoors here in really cold spells.

• Like 1

Posted

Heating goes on about 2PM til around dinner time, set to 18°C in the lounge, but it tends to reach about half a degree short. It goes off at 6:30-7PM after I cook, as I don't need it in the evening and need a cool environment to sleep in.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heat, sun and thunderstorms in summer. Cold sunny days and snow in winter
1 hour ago, Sunny76 said:

Not going back to water bottles and grandma’s candle to keep warm nonsense.

Some people unfortunately have no choice. Central heating is still a luxury to some.

• Like 1

Posted
35 minutes ago, Weather Enthusiast91 said:

Some people unfortunately have no choice. Central heating is still a luxury to some.

I know that, but I don’t think it’s necessary to feel uncomfortable and sit in a cold room. 

• Like 1

Posted
50 minutes ago, Sunny76 said:

I know that, but I don’t think it’s necessary to feel uncomfortable and sit in a cold room. 

I may be lucky in that what is a cold room for many feels relatively comfortable to me, but this is probably because of physiological differences and metabolism, as we ain't all the same. Just how it is but works in my favour in winter, not so much in summer.

• Like 1

Posted
14 hours ago, cheeky_monkey said:

i have forced air from a furnace in my house ..few if any houses have central heating here...good thing is with forced air it warms up the house very quick

Interesting.

I have both traditional gas/radiator heating and several mini-split AC units.

The AC definitely gets things up to temperature very quickly, which means I can afford to let things get colder when I'm out.

Given the COP ≈ 4, it saves a fair amount over using the gas central heating, since I don't need to use it as much or heat the whole house all of the time.

Posted
2 hours ago, Sunny76 said:

To answer Stormy’s question about the temp we set.

I just turn the thermostat to 21-22c. We turn it off and have it on low for night time around 17c.

Ours is set to 21 by day. I've lowered it from the usual 22 this year due to the gas shortage. Night time it's set to 19. Only because I am often up in the night with a child for various reasons and don't want to freeze my weeble off in my nothings lol

Posted
14 hours ago, *Stormforce~beka* said:

What is forced air and how does it work? Sounds like a cheaper option if it heats up so quickly?

Forced air is basically where a room is heated through air ducts instead of water-filled radiators. Think hotels/some office buildings.

It's popular in North America because most of the continent is subject to both extreme heat and extreme cold, and you can use the air ducts to deliver cold, air-conditioned air. It's become the standard even in places that don't need AC.

Outside of North America, most homes don't have air ducts, but these days you can achieve the same effect with ductless mini-split AC.

• Thanks 1
  • Insightful 1

Posted
6 minutes ago, halny said:

Forced air is basically where a room is heated through air ducts instead of water-filled radiators. Think hotels/some office buildings.

It's popular in North America because most of the continent is subject to both extreme heat and extreme cold, and you can use the air ducts to deliver cold, air-conditioned air. It's become the standard even in places that don't need AC.

Outside of North America, most homes don't have air ducts, but these days you can achieve the same effect with ductless mini-split AC.

Interesting! Thank you. Is it cheaper to run?