Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Have you turned your heating on yet?

stewfox

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms and other extremes
Just now, Sunny76 said:

Both radiators are on for a few hours, then we turn on off and have the other one on low during the night.

It’s too cold now to just sit in jumpers and fleeces, plus the damp takes hold if we don’t use the heating.

I don’t believe in cutting back, if it’s heating or eating, I’ll skip eating for a day. We do intermittent fasting anyway, so missing a day of food is something I can handle more than depriving myself of warmth.

Agree with you. It’s absolutely miserable sitting in a cold house.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted
Just now, CreweCold said:

Agree with you. It’s absolutely miserable sitting in a cold house.

Yeah, but there are people on here and a friend of mine, who think it’s a badge of honour to keep the heating off and ‘use loads of layers’. Why torture yourself!

We used the heating as soon as the daytime maxes started dropping below 17c in mid to late September, when the evenings and mornings started getting chilly.

Now it’s on almost all the time. 

• Like 3

Posted

Yep, heating been on for 2 weeks now. Comes on at 06.30, goes off 09.30, unless it's a mild early morning then it pops off around 08.00.

Comes on at 16.00 and goes on and off up til 22.00. Although, if we're at home for the afters i have popped it on early at around 15.00

Never have it on during the night, unless we get an extreme cold spell, say, minus 7-8c at night.

Like you guys cant stand a cold house and a jumper or two extra doesnt do it for me.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: All seasons veteran of the 1981 winter
1 minute ago, Sunny76 said:

Both radiators are on for a few hours, then we turn on off and have the other one on low during the night.

It’s too cold now to just sit in jumpers and fleeces, plus the damp takes hold if we don’t use the heating.

I don’t believe in cutting back, if it’s heating or eating, I’ll skip eating for a day. We do intermittent fasting anyway, so missing a day of food is something I can handle more than depriving myself of warmth.

I completely agree it's one thing been hungry  but been cold is the worst,  do you store a big bag of potatoes very versatile. Homemade mash potato an onion and a pack of reasonable mince beef and gravy,  blooming lovely warms you through

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Seasonal

Best bit of kit I've bought lately.     

thumbnail_IMG_20221130_200105.jpg

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Posted
1 minute ago, Bristle Si said:

Yep, heating been on for 2 weeks now. Comes on at 06.30, goes off 09.30, unless it's a mild early morning then it pops off around 08.00.

Comes on at 16.00 and goes on and off up til 22.00. Although, if we're at home for the afters i have popped it on early at around 15.00

Never have it on during the night, unless we get an extreme cold spell, say, minus 7-8c at night.

Like you guys cant stand a cold house and a jumper or two extra doesnt do it for me.

We leave it on low at night, because our flat is poorly insulated, and it freezing cold below 16c in the early morning.

We only leave it off completely in the winter if it’s a very mild night above 10c.

Posted
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.
1 minute ago, sorepaw1 said:

I completely agree it's one thing been hungry  but been cold is the worst,  do you store a big bag of potatoes very versatile. Homemade mash potato an onion and a pack of reasonable mince beef and gravy,  blooming lovely warms you through

Absolutely grow buckets of late potatos and store them in hesian sacks, lasts me all winter with January King cabbage maturing now in the garden. All my meat is cheap reduced and straight into to freezer! 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted
4 minutes ago, sorepaw1 said:

We make soups and cook meals for several days at time, so we don’t need to cook every single day.

Yes we have potatoes, fruit and some veg and a few snacks. We wouldn’t go hungry, but like I said, fasting is good for you.

We didn’t do it because the cost of living, but we were looking at ways to improve digestion, and also reduce chances of inflammation.

We’ve watch some of those Doctor Berg videos on YouTube. 

I won’t go without heating, unless it’s an absolute necessity.

8 minutes ago, sorepaw1 said:

We can’t store much though, as we live in a London studio flat. 

If we are hard up, we just go without food.

• Like 4

Posted

If your cold you will burn more energy in your body so warmth always comes first. Otherwise your health will go downhill fast!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted
10 minutes ago, Polar Maritime said:

Absolutely grow buckets of late potatos and store them in hesian sacks, lasts me all winter with January King cabbage maturing now in the garden. All my meat is cheap reduced and straight into to freezer! 

I was telling my lads about when I would go out rabbiting with a ferret and a dozen nets when I was a teenager. Later on , in the 80's, I would go out with a 12 bore on a Saturday morning  and shoot 2 or 3 for the week. Money was tight with 2 kids and a mortgage ,you just done whatever it took to get by.

Edited by 78/79
  • Like 2

Posted
5 minutes ago, 78/79 said:

I was telling my lads about when I would go out rabbiting with a ferret and a dozen nets when I was a teenager. Later on  in the 80's I would go out with a 12 bore on a Saturday morning  and shoot 2 or 3 for the week. Money was tight with 2 kids and a mortgage ,you just done whatever it took to get by.

Used to the exactly the same with long nets and purse nests and a 12bore at the ready incase one escaped.... Those were the days! Rabbit or Pheasant stew was my staple diet. Still love it now mind but not as often. Used to shoot ducks and Hares also but I tend to get them off other folk as as I've grown older I don't like killing animals. Also my grandad had the local shoot and used to work on Haddon Estate picking up with my dogs so plenty of free game..

Edited by Polar Maritime
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...
3 minutes ago, Polar Maritime said:

If your cold you will burn more energy in your body so warmth always comes first. Otherwise your health will go downhill fast!

Yet I find that I need to put on my heating for a couple of hours first thing and once I've eaten, I can usually turn it off... I guess we all have different metabolisms?😁

Posted

I can always remember the thumping sound the rabbits made before they ran out.. was out every Sunday come rain or shine..

• Like 1

Posted
2 minutes ago, Polar Maritime said:

I can always remember the thumping sound the rabbits made before they ran out.. was out every Sunday come rain or shine..

Yep, and when the Ferret decided to lie up, and you had to dig the little beggar out😁

Posted
12 minutes ago, Polar Maritime said:

Used to the exactly the same with long nets and purse nests and a 12bore at the ready incase one escaped.... Those were the days! Rabbit or Pheasant stew was my staple diet. Still love it now mind but not as often. Used to shoot ducks and Hares also but I tend to get them off other folk as as I've grown older I don't like killing animals. Also my grandad had the local shoot and used to work on Haddon Estate picking up with my dogs so plenty of free game..

You're right , I'm the same, as you get on a bit you tend to mellow. I'd  sooner see them running about these days.

• Like 2

Posted
13 minutes ago, 78/79 said:

Yep, and when the Ferret decided to lie up, and you had to dig the little beggar out😁

Yes ha even with a ferret finder it could take hours. Those were the days..

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine and 15-25c

keep forgetting to turn my heating off when i leave the house for work..also im so lazy i have never bothered to work out the timer even though i have lived there for nearly 6 years 

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Not too hot, not too cold

To anyone struggling with thier heating bills, I have discovered an ingenious  new method to drastically reduce your heating bills… 

Okay here goes…

1. Walk up to your thermostat.

2. Take a look at what temperature it is set to.

3. Divide that number by two.

4. Set your thermostat to that temperature.

5. Now all is well and good, however, after a few hours, you may notice a chill on your torso…

6. To help mitigate this, have a look in your wardrobe. See if there are any warm garments that you can wear ie hoodies, jumpers, sweatshirts, thermals etc.

7. Put on as many garments as you need go until you feel warm enough.

So there you go, that is my ingenious new method on how to drastically reduce your heating bills..

Thank me later.

• Like 1

Posted
4 minutes ago, East Lancs Rain said:

To anyone struggling with thier heating bills, I have discovered an ingenious  new method to drastically reduce your heating bills… 

Okay here goes…

5. Now all is well and good, however, after a few hours, you may notice a chill on your torso…

6. To help mitigate this, have a look in your wardrobe. See if there are any warm garments that you can wear ie hoodies, jumpers, sweatshirts, thermals etc.

So there you go, that is my ingenious new method on how to drastically reduce your heating bills..

Thank me later.

No problem, oh wait a minute 

_127727572_zz1200gettyimages-862251050.j
WWW.BBC.CO.UK

The BBC's health and science correspondent undergoes an experiment to find out how a cold home affects him.

• Thanks 1

Posted
13 minutes ago, RJBingham said:

No problem, oh wait a minute 

_127727572_zz1200gettyimages-862251050.j
WWW.BBC.CO.UK

The BBC's health and science correspondent undergoes an experiment to find out how a cold home affects him.

My post wasn’t serious, but it doesn’t take a genius to work out that if you are sat in a room at 10°C in just shorts and a short sleeved shirt, then of course you are going to feel cold, well, unless you are Markyo.. lol.

If they tried the experiment again but the man wore thermal clothing, hat, gloves, warm socks and a scarf, I bet the results would be a lot different.

Posted
On 02/12/2022 at 15:00, East Lancs Rain said:

Okay here goes…

Thank me later.

I have the heating on full blast now. I need to keep warm.

Layers alone wont do that if the flat is freezing.

• Like 1

Posted
3 hours ago, Sunny76 said:

I have the heating on full blast now. I need to keep warm.

Layers alone wont do that if the flat is freezing.

What temperature?

Posted
TELEMMGLPICT000318971452_trans_NvBQzQNjv
WWW.TELEGRAPH.CO.UK

Elderly ‘particularly at risk’ from cold snap and should keep heat at 18C in rooms they use most often, says UKHSA

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and heatwave

My gran use to only ever have her main room heated no heat anywhere else in the house. Use to annoy my mum. Back when we had real winters Jan 79 etc.  Born 1906 probably a war mentality re use water in the sink etc. Many folk now take for granted walking around in shorts and tee shirt in your house now in this cold snap should be a fundamental right. Light a match and put a jumper on and if it gets much colder use the match to light a candle for extra warmth. 

• Like 1

Posted

Surely everyone must have turned thier heating on by now, unless they can’t afford to of course.

My heart goes out to those who are sat in freezing cold houses right now.

It got down to about -4°C last night here. Im just glad I’m in a nice warm house.

Its Sod’s law we get a decade of mostly mild winters then in the middle of an energy and cost of living crisis we get a freezing cold period of weather.

On 18/09/2022 at 17:50, Sunny76 said:

Having the heating on briefly in mid September isn’t unheard of, but it does seem like a week or two earlier this year.

The cool off from the hot summer has happened quite swiftly. Could this be a sign of things to come?

Looks like it was.

• Like 2