Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Scotland Weather discussion

Paul

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny in summer, cold in winter.
37 minutes ago, NorthernRab said:

Is that chicken of the woods? That's a monster find if so!

I don't know unfortunately. It looks like stacks of pancakes. 

I have a mate who's into foraging I'll ask him 😁

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Freezing fog, frost, snow, sunshine.
12 minutes ago, snowidea said:

I don't know unfortunately. It looks like stacks of pancakes. 

I have a mate who's into foraging I'll ask him 😁

Looks too orange to be hen of the woods so I'm thinking maybe some chicken of the woods that's passed its prime due to colder weather.

• Like 3

Posted

Another really weird day!  Hard frost last night, but lunchtime everybody in town in summer attire (12c).  A week ago the outside toms were still ripening well, but spent this afternoon clearing dead plants from tunnel, despite cover and fleece.  Chillis and peppers were already indoors to be safe.  Surprised to see cape gooseberries still ok.  More cloud around now, so perhaps less cold?

• Like 5

Posted

We had frost this morning with a low of -2.4. Around 6 just now. Cara and grass were all white. Looking forward to more of the same. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Posted
6 hours ago, Quinach said:

Showery day, though warmer than yesterday, currently 9c.  Winds a lot lighter as well.

Unusual for a weather warning to be issued so far in advance, heavy rain Thursday through Saturday, one to watch...🧐

Screenshot_20231015-140424.thumb.png.1e39ea0d5febed04e793fb4a68d9e9e0.png

Yes, also unusual they don't mention any idea of rainfall amounts other than extremely heavy, I've never seen a rain warning without an indication of rain amounts before. I saw an ECM chart posted which suggested more than 250mm in places, red warning material if it comes off given recent weather (matrix has it at the highest impact) . I'll also be up in Perthshire later in the week and then travelling back south on Friday so I'm watching closely now... 

Edited by Ross B
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snowy or warm and dry
29 minutes ago, Ross B said:

I'll also be up in Perthshire later in the week and then travelling back south on Friday so I'm watching closely now

We'll be travelling back up to Aberdeenshire, probably Saturday, after stopping off at my parents outside Airdrie. Also keeping a close eye on the forecast rain as a result. Wind might also be a factor for us with the motorhome as it makes for a very nervous journey, but we could hold off until Sunday if needed. 

Edited by Ravelin
  • Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunderstorms, gales. All extremes except humidity.

My niece is getting married on Saturday in Fife with some bits planned to be outside so getting a bit worried now although not quite in the warning area.

• Like 6
  • Insightful 1

Posted

Frost on the cars and grass this morning, first of the season. Still felt quite warm in the sun this afternoon without any wind though. 

The BBC weather for the week ahead was pretty non-committal about any rain towards the end of the week, only had a very brief mention of the early warning from the Met Office and just had a passing reference to some models indicating the possibility of heavy rain.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Posted
9 hours ago, Quinach said:

Showery day, though warmer than yesterday, currently 9c.  Winds a lot lighter as well.

Unusual for a weather warning to be issued so far in advance, heavy rain Thursday through Saturday, one to watch...🧐

Screenshot_20231015-140424.thumb.png.1e39ea0d5febed04e793fb4a68d9e9e0.png

Had a look at the further details! Are the Met Office forecasting rain or Armageddon! 🌊

• Like 3

Posted

First frost of the season for me this morning with a low of -0.2c at 8am and temperature only rising slowly despite the blue skies, currently 2.0c. I also got the weather warning thru yesterday for later in the week, supposed to be heading south to my daughter’s in Livingston so we can go watch an ice hockey game. Not looking forward to that drive if it all pans out.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Posted

Carol on the BBC breakfast saying perhaps as much as 200mm of rain falling over parts of the Angus/Perthshire mountains from Storm Babat.

Significant flooding likely. 

• Like 3
  • Insightful 2

Posted

Nice sunrise this morning. Low of -0.2. Currently 1.9. Cars needed a good scraping this morning.

Sunrise171023.thumb.jpg.5ba4b177d126408b8951e00833402e65.jpg

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunderstorms, gales. All extremes except humidity.

Nice sunrise here too and another beautiful sunny morning. First air frost if the season for me though yesterday only just missed. Still -0.1C just now.

• Like 8
  • Insightful 1

Posted

Currently trundling up the West Highland Line. Bit of frost on grass when we emerged from the Queen Street tunnel, foggy along the Clyde, but with the height gained through Helensburgh Upper in bright sun sunshine above very low mist at Garelochead. Beautiful autumn day on Loch Lomondside.

Edited by skifreak
  • Like 9

Posted
3 hours ago, Norrance said:

Nice sunrise here too and another beautiful sunny morning. First air frost if the season for me though yesterday only just missed. Still -0.1C just now.

Yes it was stunning. Cold night here too, unusual to have to scrape the car here in coastal East Neuk in mid-October. I mean we didn’t have our first air frost until December 8th last year! Min was 2.1c here in Pittenweem but -1c along the road at Leuchars. Feels nice now in the sun and with no wind.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Posted

Slight frost again this morning on the car and roofs. More notable frost anywhere in a hollow. Pretty foggy at work in Dumbarton and only just lifted now. 

Increasingly looking like a pretty serious rain event for the north-east. 

• Like 7

Posted

-2.8C delivered a thick frost here. Car took some warming up and black leaves have appeared across various plant species. Driving to Peebles, car got down to -4.5C, and was still 0.0C at 11am. Lovely jubbly.

• Like 6
  • Insightful 1