Thunder?
Local
Radar
Hot?
IGNORED

Model output discussion - closing in on Winter

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter synoptics.Hot summers.

Forgive my maths and its just one run,but i see two initial shots of cold within 8 days 

animpbe4.gif

And at day 10 at the turn of the month 

A repeating pattern may well emerge into December so im a tad exited

image.png

Edited by winterof79
  • Like 7

Posted
17 minutes ago, Griff said:

The GEM has been all over this, @Mike Poole has been hinting! much better

gfsnh-0-270.png

gfsnh-1-270.png

I don't think the gem gets the attention it deserves on here... Verification above GFS, the overnight run has wintry showers even to lower levels at times from Thursday onwards

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Posted
1 minute ago, Battleground Snow said:

I don't think the gem gets the attention it deserves on here... Verification above GFS, the overnight run has wintry showers even to lower levels at times from Thursday onwards

Considering this is the GFS that was the previous 'Para' that everyone (well most) assumed was erroneous! 

• Like 2

Posted
24 minutes ago, carinthian said:

Yes, and increase in Arctic heights putting the pressure on the Euro lower heights to hold, which in the longer term may be a good outcome.

C

I mused yesterday about one of these dumbelling ridges managing to throw itself ne over scandi at some point if the scandi trough relaxes at some point (that’s going to be down to the Arctic profile ) 

with temps dropping over n scandi I wonder if later week 2 could see this become a trend ? 

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything below 0c or above 20c. Also love a good thunderstorm!

So today is HP link up day, the first laying of the blocks. The high we have over southern UK is currently linking with the high further west, but it seems the high behind will lunge itself eastwards pushing the centre over our side. What we'll need now over the weekend is heights to remain stable further west towards North America, and hope that the high hasn't lunged too much our way. Coupled with that, we want the lower heights to keep things propped up to encourage movement north-westwards towards South Greenland. 

Once we get to Sunday, it'll be time to look at what heights are doing over the Labrador Sea, as well as looking to see if Greenland can accept any heights.

Key word here: 'heights'...

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, Cold & Snowy
7 minutes ago, northwestsnow said:

image.thumb.png.d096a4d3c080ae2dc9375c79fc39d513.png

Significantly below average with majority support. I get people want something special but if we take this as gospel, 850s ~5C below the long-term average screams significant potential to me. 

Edited by Eskimo
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer > Spring > Winter > Autumn :-)
4 minutes ago, Griff said:

Pleasingly speaks for itself for once

Can't wait to get myself outside for a nice dose of cold rain! 

• Like 4

Posted
4 minutes ago, mb018538 said:

Can't wait to get myself outside for a nice dose of cold rain! 

Good for you, that's the spirit

I'm guessing you understood that I meant with regards to analysis of the data spread, and the agreement. For once it doesn't offer up every possible solution in scatter. 

Fascinating point though, I guess you're right, at some stage this forum relates to actual weather on the ground, but probably very little to do with anything beyond a week away. 

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

I'm not at all sure that the upcoming spell of colder weather has been 'downgraded'. But it's certainly moved forward, in the model runs, so that its end has also now come into view:

t850Bedfordshire.png    t2mBedfordshire.png

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: continental climate

I am spying a good trend for winter overal, early season strát/trop disconnect, we buy some time before -QBO digs in and flushes +QBO from lower levels, to boost Also Nina exhibits east based state although a little bit on the moderate end. Should at least prevent zonal looks on seasonal models for February although these analogs are also watered down with the omnipresent spoiler Euro high which you never know when it wants to spoil potential blocking.

cdas-sflux_ssta_global_1 (1).png

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer > Spring > Winter > Autumn :-)
9 minutes ago, Griff said:

Good for you, that's the spirit

I'm guessing you understood that I meant with regards to analysis of the data spread, and the agreement. For once it doesn't offer up every possible solution in scatter. 

Fascinating point though, I guess you're right, at some stage this forum relates to actual weather on the ground, but probably very little to do with anything beyond a week away. 

Just looks like the usual UK cold setup. Unless you live on a hill or a mountain, which 90% of the country doesn't, then it's just cold rain this time. Perhaps the second helping in around 9/10 days time will bear more fruit!

• Like 4

Posted
1 minute ago, mb018538 said:

Just looks like the usual UK cold setup. Unless you live on a hill or a mountain, which 90% of the country doesn't, then it's just cold rain this time. Perhaps the second helping in around 9/10 days time will bear more fruit!

It's a decent leap down for a good start at this time of year

I'm not concerned too much about what happens later, plenty of time for mother nature to do her thing. One way or another. 

Finally looks autumnal for a start. I welcome seasonal weather, feels like it's getting scarce as I get older. 

• Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow Snow and more Snow!
24 minutes ago, Earthshine said:

Forecast looks a bit grim really.  Cold rain is horrible.

Get the cold in first. Everything depends on it. 

I will take cold rain as a prelude.

• Like 3

Posted

I find it amusing that people are desperate to get rid of the current weather and happy to welcome in some cold rain.

It's a beautiful day here today with very little wind, plenty of sun and feeling very pleasant at 14C.

I have no problem with things turning cooler now but please can it be dry with it.

• Like 4