Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model output discussion - closing in on Winter

Posted

I know its fl of gfs but the end of the run is where we need to be heading with the Artic high building and look at that frigid air entering Northern Scandi

Hopefully this is the new trend going forward in the days ahead

• Like 3

Posted
1 hour ago, TSNWK said:

Spot the mild magnet

image.thumb.png.bc17144edbabd8649a6f6bb057a66bae.png

It's flatter over the US for a change lol.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and storms
16 minutes ago, sheikhy said:

Ecm gives 5cms + widely across central and eastern england!!!

Doesnt ECM assume every snow flake will settle? I think the majority of us should be happy just to see some flakes fall.....at least until we enter the winter period which is still a week away 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

Posted
32 minutes ago, Frostbite1980 said:

Doesnt ECM assume every snow flake will settle? I think the majority of us should be happy just to see some flakes fall.....at least until we enter the winter period which is still a week away 

You’re correct.

i believe it counts every bit of wintry precipitation as accumulation ie - sleet, graupel etc

• Like 1

Posted

Evening all,ECM showing encouraging signs from 216 hrs of high pressure building strongly in 

mid Atlantic continuing 240hrs possibly a reload bringing return of more northerly flow.My take

more likely than Scandinavian high as Atlantic still not fired up to any degree.

• Like 1

Posted
5 minutes ago, Anthony Burden said:

Evening all,ECM showing encouraging signs from 216 hrs of high pressure building strongly in 

mid Atlantic continuing 240hrs possibly a reload bringing return of more northerly flow.My take

more likely than Scandinavian high as Atlantic still not fired up to any degree.

ECM is not great tonight all. Reminds me of previous winters as we head in to December after a promising end to November.  Make the most of the snow this Saturday is my advise

• Like 3

Posted
On 25/11/2021 at 19:18, MATTWOLVES said:

Regarding predictions...im putting my head on the chopping block by stating ECM was a decent run...that 2nd cold shot looks possible,and I detect the hint of Heights East of Scandy by day 10.

I may be wrong,I realise the only tool I serve to many on here is my crazy sense of humour..I don't mind being wrong...but I just love to have a crack at it...if I'm wrong,so be it...life goes on and there's a hell of a lot worse things in life to be worrying about these days!

Everyone keep up the great work...this forum is just fab,If you're unsure in yourself....dont stress...have a little go yourself....im wrong all the time....and I love it cause sooner or latter im gonna nail it

ECH1-144.gif

ECH1-240.gif

Gem (day 10 so who knows) gemnh-0-240.thumb.png.2a56e577bee7ea8464463fbc3e474ba8.png

Plenty of interest to keep me lurking. 

Edited by Mapantz
Removed some quoted text
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold winters and cool summers.

I’m personally not too convinced of a return to much in the way of Atlantic dominated weather just yet. This weekend had its cold weather pushed back, erased, then upgraded. I think northerlies are always a pain to forecast. Definitely not sold on a return to too much in the way of mild weather unless we get to the end of the month and the pattern is still strong. And even if winds back westerly there’s nothing to say that it would last long. Indeed, the first half to December in the coldest winters usually is a period of the puzzle pieces being put together, so no downbeat feelings from me tonight. I wouldn’t be bold enough to say “expect cold upgrades” but definitely don’t discount them either. 

• Like 4

Posted
10 minutes ago, LetItSnow! said:

I’m personally not too convinced of a return to much in the way of Atlantic dominated weather just yet. This weekend had its cold weather pushed back, erased, then upgraded. I think northerlies are always a pain to forecast. Definitely not sold on a return to too much in the way of mild weather unless we get to the end of the month and the pattern is still strong. And even if winds back westerly there’s nothing to say that it would last long. Indeed, the first half to December in the coldest winters usually is a period of the puzzle pieces being put together, so no downbeat feelings from me tonight. I wouldn’t be bold enough to say “expect cold upgrades” but definitely don’t discount them either. 

Lots of snow to come 

Posted

Couple more wind forecasts, and they are not good. The ECM has now upped gusts to 90mph on the North Yorkshire coast, pretty concerning from one of main go-to models, and now at just T24.

Screenshot_20211125-194834.thumb.png.977eacc602ab771a67056494e20d607d.png

The EURO4 is also up from this morning and hits the 100mph mark around Berwick upon Tweed 

Screenshot_20211125-195926.thumb.png.a22b173eea59ea6deee4959f4be38df0.png

The NMM gets 90mph quite close to Edinburgh

Screenshot_20211125-200131.thumb.png.0bcf5f630d50a1f1aba9f76f256cbf21.png

This may well become a red warning tomorrow. Do not travel on the NE coast tomorrow night, and beware problems Saturday morning.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 8

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow
3 minutes ago, Man With Beard said:

Couple more wind forecasts, and they are not good. The ECM has now upped gusts to 90mph on the North Yorkshire coast, pretty concerning from one of main go-to models, and now at just T24.

Screenshot_20211125-194834.thumb.png.977eacc602ab771a67056494e20d607d.png

The EURO4 is also up from this morning and hits the 100mph mark around Berwick upon Tweed 

Screenshot_20211125-195926.thumb.png.a22b173eea59ea6deee4959f4be38df0.png

The NMM gets 90mph quite close to Edinburgh

Screenshot_20211125-200131.thumb.png.0bcf5f630d50a1f1aba9f76f256cbf21.png

This may well become a red warning tomorrow. Do not travel on the NE coast tomorrow night, and beware problems Saturday morning.

Appreciate this, I’m right on the north east coast near Sunderland, and not very good at reading the models as a newbie, so wasn’t sure how bad it may get here! 

• Like 1

Posted
3 minutes ago, Vee89 said:

Appreciate this, I’m right on the north east coast near Sunderland, and not very good at reading the models as a newbie, so wasn’t sure how bad it may get here! 

Best case scenario for Sunderland probably 65mph, worst case 95mph!

Not sure this generation has seen such a storm on the east coast.

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter cold,snow and frost. Summer hot and thundery
1 minute ago, Man With Beard said:

Best case scenario for Sunderland probably 65mph, worst case 95mph!

Not sure this generation has seen such a storm on the east coast.

Winds look awful down the east coast the only saving grace is the low tides as I think coastal flooding Would of been a major problem if they weren’t so low

• Like 4

Posted

The ECM sub~seasonal that’s takes us through December suggests a +NAO signal through most if not all of the period.  Looks like a strong TPV setting up.  Disappointing to be honest.

Edited by mulzy
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted
6 minutes ago, mulzy said:

The ECM sub~seasonal that’s takes us through December suggests a +NAO signal through most if not all of the period.  Looks like a strong TPV setting up.  Disappointing to be honest.

Or was it strong +nao from a Scandi? 

• Like 1

Posted

The medium term anomalies continue to indicate the pattern change with one tpv lobe setting up over northern Canada whilst the other and ext trough moves towards NE Europe. In between the subtropic  high slowly loses amplification albeit the upper flow still north of west. Temps returning to a tad above average but likely quite a marked N/S variation

ecmwf-deterministic-nhemi-z500_anom_5day-8705600.thumb.png.7fc9dafd46f75b5eae426f25c3aaacbb.pnggfs-deterministic-nhemi-z500_anom_5day-8705600.thumb.png.100f0ceab96c390961a9ed0219e0d56b.png610day_03.thumb.gif.f8d4ff09e7eb229645386180eb92d399.gif

• Like 3