Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model Output Discussion - Winter arrives

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot, cold!
Just now, Kasim Awan said:

I'm not that clued up on the mjo so would be good if someone could clarify which model is better at mjo.

I think they are all pretty rubbish!  MJO evolution as modelled on these RMM charts has always seemed extremely unreliable.  However, a strong signal is less likely to be wrong than a weak one, so I’m factoring in some effect from a MJO phase 7-8 in current thinking.  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: severe storms,snow wind and ice
On 11/12/2021 at 00:10, Kasim Awan said:

I'm not that clued up on the mjo so would be good if someone could clarify which model is better at mjo for the purpose of @Allseasons-si's post.

On 11/12/2021 at 00:13, Mike Poole said:

I think they are all pretty rubbish!  MJO evolution as modelled on these RMM charts has always seemed extremely unreliable.  However, a strong signal is less likely to be wrong than a weak one, so I’m factoring in some effect from a MJO phase 7-8 in current thinking.  

I am not that clued up on the MJO malarky my self but i have read over the years on here with the likes of @Nick F and some others that have mentioned this before that the MJO needs to be as amplified as possible(away from the COD(circle of death) to promote more northern blocking through phases 7/8/1

6 UK.7 NW UK,8 north UK and 1 NE UK,...i think.

as in terms of which model is the best whether it be the gefs or the ECM,...well i don't know this.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Posted

EPS already appears quite bullish of temps going to colder side of average next weekend, and that locking in, and potentially intensifying to real McCoy post Xmas not majority of solutions at stage but bet there are surely some right cripplers. 

309635D7-D5E1-4FEC-95B5-FA3B126523FE.thumb.png.3381932ff58009c2feefba07d719330e.png

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: blizzard conditions. ice days

Another run ?‍♂️ = Another push of heights into the semi- pole.. and a tangled pv to boot- the Canadian rolling now too.. let’s see the evo.

6D8742F4-C02F-42E9-8809-61312648470C.png

• Like 3

Posted

A defined upgrade this morning in both terms of heights - and ultimately the draw /intakes of sub continental airflow slowly edging closer to our shores- as viewed via the 850 snaps.! So a little more oomph into the higher latts as we gain... And indeed the run up to Xmas- and the period itself getting ever more interesting

85B21D25-B39C-45AC-A371-95AB758B743A.png

E2008BAA-0CC3-4ACD-9BC8-86F20AA77962.png

• Like 5

Posted

A snapshot of the Canadian @144- and its preety much heading the same way - 

706FA6D0-3901-44D9-B5E5-077007683027.png

Edited by tight isobar
  • Like 2

Posted
Just now, tight isobar said:

The gfs London ones- you’d have to say starting to look quite impressive now going forwards.. the climb down continues @00z suite.

E2E29FAB-3C9E-43A5-84C5-A07A0BE63FC0.png

thats very obvious a nice look,we just hope it stays at this semi reliable time frame,otherwise we start the chasing again!haha

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Most(see in interests section.)

I think the charts point toward a chilly Christmas. Either sunny crisp cold with frosty start, or cloudy chilly . I don’t think we will have any snow……yet, but come later in to the period new year quite possibly. 

i have seen a number of times over the years, benign Christmas sometimes mild murky, but I’d like sometimes flicks a switch New Year’s Eve , Day off just after in to the new year and cold and snow arrives.  Aimho 

Posted

It’s been a case of chasing the high for the last few days .

More solid support now for it heading further north .

This mornings GFS attempts two rounds 

It doesn’t  quite manage the relevant jet cut back sw to draw the coldest air into the UK but it will still turn colder .

So the jet cut back is now key both for the much colder uppers and drawing more instability into the flow .

• Like 6

Posted

Great start to the day, GEFS included. This perb is chilly!! 

3B8F97CE-88E8-4945-8C7A-0FEBFCAC315F.png

9836FEEB-5705-42D1-B9AD-32D7B80088E2.png

• Like 5

Posted

The ec also heading down the same avenue this morning. Are we now beginning to get traction and gain on clearance for the high going northwards .. I’d say so.. That’s exactly the sign most are looking for. So a definite trend now evolving.

CD9C0E7A-1C59-4CA4-9F53-5D37E467608A.gif

• Like 2

Posted

Morning Guys!! Seems to be trending well... This run gets the cold to the UK in a manner of speaking... The high sticking to our shores but would still like further migration of the high northwards  which will hopefully continue in subsequent runs, fingers crossed  

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold winters and cool summers.
10 minutes ago, Ali1977 said:

Great start to the day, GEFS included. This perb is chilly!! 

3B8F97CE-88E8-4945-8C7A-0FEBFCAC315F.png

9836FEEB-5705-42D1-B9AD-32D7B80088E2.png

The words I just automatically uttered are deff not family friendy...  will refrain excitement until the time is closer but a more interesting look to the start of winter than many a year.

• Like 2

Posted

ECM seems to be heading in the same direction, need the ball on PV to the left of the sliver of heights to hold back to allow the heights to make it as far North as possible.

23872730-1E56-4127-8F8E-A80BD8C26739.png

Looking good, better than the 18z as heights only made it half way up Greenland on that run.This is also further west, looks like this could deliver the cold from the north by day 10

4823F1FD-7F9C-4C3D-9F44-08EC7195AC50.png

Edited by Ali1977
  • Like 3