Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Winter 2021-22 Chat, Moans and ramps thread

damianslaw

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm-by-day sunny thundery summers , short cold snowy winters.

Worrying look of 1989 Part Two on latest GFS 00z.  Another spell of mild but fairly dry weather next week but then it seems cyclonic weather takes over round the 13th. As you may remember, late winter - early spring 1989 was very dull and wet, and it followed an unusually dry January. Of course the summer was very much better, but don't really want to wait until May for the next decent weather!

However, the 18Z isn't nearly so cyclonic, with higher pressure persisting in the south but flat westerlies rather than anticyclonic, which suggests fairly dry down here, but very dull.

The 12Z is better still, with the high a bit further north still, could lead to some early spring-like conditions mid month if that comes to pass.

First proper rain for weeks here, and not enjoying it to be honest. While the lack of snow or 'real' cold has been disappointing, I have been very grateful for the prolonged benign weather during January. The feeling today is that we were approaching the end of winter the past few days - and now it feels like we've been thrown back into typical early January conditions!

Edited by Summer8906

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm-by-day sunny thundery summers , short cold snowy winters.
21 hours ago, Don said:

Maybe for February 2023?!  2022?  Erm doubt it.....

Don't think you have many worries about using too much energy for heating in the coming months!  However, the way the climate is, it wouldn't surprise me if heating will be required in June and then weeks later we have a record breaking heatwave!!

Yes, indeed, coldest and wettest early June on record this year, as they've changed the late-May bank holiday to early June. 9C maxima for each of the first 5 days of June, following a hot end to May with temps reaching 30C on the 'normal' late-May holiday Monday.

And yes, two days of silly 35C+ heat in late July in a generally dull, cool and changeable summer, with half of the other days in July failing to attain 21C. That seems to be the way nowadays..

And April, as always, to provide the most prolonged 'summery' spell of weather, with a sequel in the first half of September.

Edited by Summer8906
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines
10 hours ago, Don said:

A long hot summer in the UK is the last thing I want!  However, they are only going to get more and more frequent and sales of aircon units will increase, so a lot more energy usage during future summers.....

Winter has always been a hideous, depressing slog where I’m from in the UK, so better summers will be very welcome ?? There have been recent developments concerning air conditioning technology, so its environmental impact may soon be much decreased

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer > Spring > Winter > Autumn :-)

Now that it's tipped it down near enough everywhere this morning, can we stop all of this silly talk about droughts and water shortages?

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, frost and snow

This high will eventually give way and HP will be nowhere to be seen at some point, I'm fully expecting a cold wet spring.

We're in a changing world, but the law of averages you just know we'll be stuck with LP over us for an equal amount of time at some point.

Posted
2 minutes ago, NewEra21 said:

This high will eventually give way and HP will be nowhere to be seen at some point, I'm fully expecting a cold wet spring.

We're in a changing world, but the law of averages you just know we'll be stuck with LP over us for an equal amount of time at some point.

The rain will always return. We aren't in the mid latitudes and desert regions where high pressure sticks around all year. The default flow is westerly for the UK, and as you say, low pressure will always make an appearance before you know it.

• Like 1

Posted
2 hours ago, Sunny76 said:

A long hot sunny summer is just what we need. Especially after the dire summer of last years cloudy damp and miserable conditions during most of summer 2021, and a cold dull May.

We haven't had a long hot summer since 2018. 

Each to their own of course but last summer wasn't exactly a 2007 or 2012 repeat, although admittedly London and the south east had it worse than anywhere else in the UK!

2018 was only four years ago which is nothing in UK terms.  However, the way things are going it will become the norm to have a 1976/1995/2006/2018 type summer every few years, so I would be quite happy if I were you. 

• Like 1

Posted
1 hour ago, stainesbloke said:

Winter has always been a hideous, depressing slog where I’m from in the UK, so better summers will be very welcome ?? There have been recent developments concerning air conditioning technology, so its environmental impact may soon be much decreased

Trouble is, heat in the UK more often than not is the humid oppressive type which I find thoroughly unpleasant.  However, this is not always the case, for example I found summer 2018 to be fairly comfortable.  That said, I will always be a cold weather person, which is unfortunate with climate change!  Reference to air conditioning technology, it's environmental impact will need to be reduced the sooner the better!

• Like 3

Posted
1 hour ago, mb018538 said:

Now that it's tipped it down near enough everywhere this morning, can we stop all of this silly talk about droughts and water shortages?

Especially given that much of the period September 2019 to July 2021 was unusually wet, in this part of the world anyway. One dry autumn and January surely does not equal a drought,

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.

A sprinkling of rain overnight but clear and sunny again today. Definitely going to get out and about today and save today’s work for the weekend when the weather looks comparatively pants.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines
1 hour ago, Don said:

Trouble is, heat in the UK more often than not is the humid oppressive type which I find thoroughly unpleasant.  However, this is not always the case, for example I found summer 2018 to be fairly comfortable.  That said, I will always be a cold weather person, which is unfortunate with climate change!  Reference to air conditioning technology, it's environmental impact will need to be reduced the sooner the better!

High humidity isn’t great, I agree, but better summers don’t necessarily mean more humid heatwaves, just more sunny and settled periods which the UK could always have more of. 
We certainly do need to reduce or even eliminate the environmental impacts of everything we do, air conditioning isn’t a huge problem in the UK, but heating pollution is

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: All seasons veteran of the 1981 winter

I think there's more chance of a Nuclear winter, than a Arctic Winter.

The Media is doing a good job of potentially creating WW3 imo.

I'm hoping for a snowy March 

My Garden is very dry I'd welcome some rain too.

• Like 1

Posted
2 hours ago, Summer8906 said:

Especially given that much of the period September 2019 to July 2021 was unusually wet, in this part of the world anyway. One dry autumn and January surely does not equal a drought,

No....and evaporation rates and water loss due to this are so low in winter anyway, a run of dry days doesn't do much damage really. Last year had plenty of wet weather, and recently October was very wet also. Even though we had long stretches here without any rain, some puddles took forever to dry out. They'd be gone in hours in warm summer weather.

Posted
2 hours ago, Don said:

2018 was exceptional for this. Very dry airmasses dominating, and lots of cloudless days in the high 20s with humidity around 30-40%. Very low/good for the UK. We won't see 10% desert humidity for obvious reasons being an island, but anything below 40% is very good for more comfortable summer heat.

If you want bad humidity, try somewhere like Singapore with 32c and 80-85% humidity all year round. Disgusting. 

Posted
4 hours ago, NewEra21 said:

Knowing recent trends, I suspect it will be summer, not spring, when LP dominates next.

I am likely to be spending 2 months outside the UK this summer, though, so of course it'll likely be the best summer since 1995...

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow,fairly warm in summer

nights are a lot warmer in both summer and winter in the cities and towns now.not surprising when all these idiots are concreting their front gardens to cater for polluting machines.talk about stupidity.

• Like 1

Posted
2 minutes ago, Summer8906 said:

Knowing recent trends, I suspect it will be summer, not spring, when LP dominates next.

I am likely to be spending 2 months outside the UK this summer, though, so of course it'll likely be the best summer since 1995...

Summer should be more promising this year as we exit La Nina towards ENSO neutral through late spring and summer.

1976/2006/2018 all followed a similar path...

ORIGIN.CPC.NCEP.NOAA.GOV

• Like 1

Posted
17 minutes ago, mb018538 said:

If you want bad humidity, try somewhere like Singapore with 32c and 80-85% humidity all year round. Disgusting. 

Not sure how some on here would cope in Singapore It’s quite intense at first but you do get used it quite quickly if you’re there for more than a few days

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extremes, the very hot and the very cold.
10 minutes ago, stainesbloke said:

Not sure how some on here would cope in Singapore It’s quite intense at first but you do get used it quite quickly if you’re there for more than a few days

Lived in Antigua for 3 years. Shorts, T Shirts and flip flops and Air Conditioned office. Whats not to like about that ? Warm evenings and tropical breeze. I'll take that any day. 

• Like 5

Yes begining to miss Spain myself. Was there for five years between Murcia and Alicante. Can't say I miss working in the intense heat. It hit 45 plus most summers. Working outdoors was a killer. Saying that though their winters often felt cold than here. No central heating. I'd never owned so many hoodies in my life.

Posted
19 minutes ago, Cleeve Hill said:

Lived in Antigua for 3 years. Shorts, T Shirts and flip flops and Air Conditioned office. Whats not to like about that ? Warm evenings and tropical breeze. I'll take that any day. 

Sounds like hell to me all that heat. And then there is the flip flop issue that I could go on about but won't. 

• Like 1

Posted
2 minutes ago, Wimbledon88 said:

Sounds like hell to me all that heat. And then there is the flip flop issue that I could go on about but won't. 

Oh go on, enlighten us about this  ‘flip flop issue’ that has been hinted at on here before. Am curious!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine and 15-25c
1 hour ago, mb018538 said:

you would think..but when i went to Singapore i loved it...reason being everywhere is air-conditioned even the underpasses and subways..once you have lived away from the UK you realize how muggy and humid the weather is back home