Local
Radar
Hot?
IGNORED

Model output discussion - Christmas approaches

Paul
Message added by Paul,

The guiding principles of everyone's participation in this thread are:
Be kind -- Stay on topic -- Share your knowledge -- Be polite -- Be honest -- Be tolerant -- Be family friendly

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extreme
1 hour ago, Paul_1978 said:

The charts are dated 25th and 26th December. Has anyone been expecting anything of note before then? I’ve not seen anyone expecting any particularly cold or snowy on or before 24th Dec. 

South West weather presenter David Braine this morning was showing a sleet symbol for Thursday next week and he said things could get quite interesting by the end of next week...........

• Like 3

Posted
6 minutes ago, tight isobar said:

Stil separation- but the mean and members arguably trending colder with more members.. some absolute crackers in there too

3A12E25D-91D6-4278-8420-CE7B16F86360.png

What is still noticeable is the precip spikes 23/24th, so these will be the sliders/snow events coming in from the SW. all still to play for!!! 

• Like 2

Posted
On 17/12/2021 at 11:20, bluearmy said:

Thing is kris, does the dense cold air have long enough to establish over scandi to deflect the jet se?  I’d say perhaps not - and the griceland heights will play a bigger part ….their lessening over the past 36 hours responsible for current modelling trend to bring the lw trough in at too high a latitude and phasing with the scandi trough too far north ….

of course still time for those heights to be modelled stronger 

Yeah that's a good point and we have to be mindful that the ECM in particular has been prone to exaggerating heights near Greenland in the mid term for quite a few years now (to the point that when it gets one right, it's normally just stopped clock syndrome). Then again, certainly when thinking back to Jan/Mar 2013 we also saw underestimation of the resilience of the Griceland wedge in the medium term across most models, so all in all, clear as mud

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunderstorms,
1 minute ago, snowking said:

Yeah that's a good point and we have to be mindful that the ECM in particular has been prone to exaggerating heights near Greenland in the mid term for quite a few years now (to the point that when it gets one right, it's normally just stopped clock syndrome). Then again, certainly when thinking back to Jan/Mar 2013 we also saw underestimation of the resilience of the Griceland wedge in the medium term across most models, so all in all, clear as mud

Apparently this problem was fixed in the most recent update

• Like 2

Posted
On 17/12/2021 at 11:43, Met4Cast said:

Apparently this problem was fixed in the most recent update

Interesting Dan. Hopefully a good test of that coming up then!

• Like 1

Posted

I think Blue makes a very good point .

The evolution does not have cross model consensus just yet and a few hundred miles makes a huge difference...

Only then can we be reasonably confident .

That may come this evening ,we are talking 120 - 144 now which is also I suspect ,in FAX chart  territory and it is always good to know what the pros are thinking ...

I'm at analysing every slide  on meteociel at this point!!

Surely it's not just me !!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter synoptics.Hot summers.
37 minutes ago, Bradley in Kent said:

Deep down I think we know which set of the two is more likely to happen. In winter I'll say the top 3 mildest options are way more likely than top (or bottom) 3 coldest options then flip that round for summer. 

As many have mentioned, the next few days will be very up and down both model forecast and emotion what with the strings of Christmas attached! Best to take small piggy steps and not worry too much about what happens at day 5 which seems to be the cross roads or where those two ensembles sets diverge. Lets cross that bridge when we come to it.

(also thanks for posting and highlighting, that ensemble chart really sums up where we are!)

Substitute We with i .......theres a good chap.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold ,snow
1 minute ago, northwestsnow said:

I think Blue makes a very good point .

The evolution does not have cross model consensus just yet and a few hundred miles makes a huge difference...

Only then can we be reasonably confident .

That may come this evening ,we are talking 120 - 144 now which is also I suspect ,in FAX chart  territory and it is always good to know what the pros are thinking ...

I'm at analysing every slide  on meteociel at this point!!

Surely it's not just me !!

Nope not only you mate but stop it, you'll be crackers "like me". Think the fax charts are a good bet boss

Posted

If this is a sinking block im having some of it

image.thumb.png.9037e6706d3fcc3a0fe001805d9463ff.png

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: continental climate

I am glad that the only model that Has the pattern nailed is CFS

cfs-0-192.png

• Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunderstorms,
6 minutes ago, bluearmy said:

Didn’t handle the late November period too well then! 

True, but then again how much can that be attributed to an inherent bias in the model vs just not being able to resolve the broadscale dynamics accurately? Difficult to tell one from the other without a larger sample.. 

GEFS/EPS seem to be in broad agreement at 144, albeit the EPS is a little further north. 

• Like 1

Posted

Could be very wet or very white come Christmas.

You can make a reasonable case for both outcomes especially further north .

The more west based negative NAO is always a nerve shredder for coldies , low pressure tries to move ne at the weakest part of the blocking . This then phases with the Scandi troughing , what you don’t want is overly deep lows trying to move in .

• Like 9

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow then clear and frosty.
52 minutes ago, damianslaw said:

I'll put it out there.. won't be until 22nd Dec at the earliest can begin to speculate with some confidence developments for Christmas Day. That's 5 long days of model watching still...

Yes agree with that Damian.

The strength of the Greenland block is key in how far south the Atlantic and European troughs phase.It will much nearer to Christmas for that to be decided.

It's exciting to see such a NH pattern like this though,rare for mid December with the tpv shredded.

• Like 4

Posted

I always saw Thursday 23rd Dec as the crunch day with regards to Christmas snow prospects. Just look at the difference between yesterday's ecm for that date and this morning's. That's a big change for the worse. The problem is that this is now at T144 so very little wiggle room for 'substantial' changes for the better imo. 

ECH1-144.gif

ECH1-168.gif

Posted
6 minutes ago, nick sussex said:

The more west based negative NAO is always a nerve shredder for coldies , low pressure tries to move ne at the weakest part of the blocking . This then phases with the Scandi troughing , what you don’t want is overly deep lows trying to move in .

Yes, big risk but big reward. Looking great for Christmas snow opportunities at the moment and I'm sure many are pleased to see the disappearance of the UK High

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: heavy snow/ heatwaves
26 minutes ago, jules216 said:

I am glad that the only model that Has the pattern nailed is CFS

cfs-0-192.png

Good model that according to some on here.I

Posted
9 minutes ago, nick sussex said:

Exactly. We are still a whole week away from Christmas Eve, and goodness knows what changes the models will go through until then!

It’s always been about ‘potential’, and nothing more. How this is playing out has us glued on every run, and certainly another period of interesting model watching.

If it happens it happens, if it don’t…..

We don’t get snowy Christmas’s anyway, so we should not be too disappointed.

• Like 1

Posted

Mustn't grumble

GFS Mean

image.thumb.png.8d60ee791c252de0f38e2ef62d93a6a2.png25th

image.thumb.png.6011fcb9dac17d549bf0486724c8bfce.png

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extreme

No mention of the white stuff in the sensationalist tabloids yet, that could be a good omen !

Edited by Mark Parsons
  • Like 2