Thunder?
Local
Radar
Hot?
IGNORED

SE, London & EA - Weather Discussion

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Love hot sunshine and cold snowy weather

An unexpected low of -5 here this morning, surprised as it rose from -1 to 0 before I turned in obviously got much colder later on. 

• Like 2

Posted

A rather nippy -7.6c here this morning, coldest start so far of this spell.

Bin lid was frozen shut and took a bit of shifting, thought it might be time for the kettle of hot water.

Edited by huntso
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm summers but not too hot and colder winters with frost and snow

Hit -6.4 this morning at 7.30 this morning and it still is that temp @ 8.45am!We are now at 111+ consecutive hours at sub zero which has broken the 104hours we had in BFTE in 2018!Very impressive.can we squeeze another day of sub zero as we are starting 2.2 degrees lower than yesterday 🤷🏼‍♂️🥶

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, Snow, Fog, Frost, Storms and Rain if it rains like it means it.

Our coldest temp too this morning, a very impressive -8.C in NE Hants. And temp is still dipping rather than rising.

Such beautiful, seasonal weather 😍 

• Like 1

Posted

🥶🥶🥶

Snowcover down to 8cm here, which is only 2cm less than what I measured in the same spot on Sunday evening. Apart from a thin icy layer on top, the snow below that layer is still very well preserved.

Side roads and pavements like bloomin ice rinks, very treacherous with thick ice.

• Like 1

Posted

If this had been like our usual or  if any snow in Feb or March it would be long gone ,early winter snow is best by a long shot but only since Sunday seems its been forever bit like the 40c in July,might as well been 10 years ago,seems like it anyway ,no worries though 4 months time be getting hot again ,nuts isn't it.. (and not sweaty ones ) 🙂

Edited by TN9
  • Like 1

Posted
4 minutes ago, TonyK St Albans said:

Going by car dashboard, -7 at eastern fringe of St Albans. Lowest ever I've seen it. 

Dont fret by boxing day( might get something ) and obviously by this week end  as well we will be in a run of  the mill set up ,10c and raining with drier interludes 🙂 I should go somewhere where its what I call exciting weather or half chance of it ,i don't mind if its humid and stormy ,freezing cold blizzard ,galeforce winds ,cold ,wet, even super dry but not in plod mode 😞

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Blizzards,Hot Thundery nights.

Morning all car thermometer said -9 this morning, lowest I’ve ever seen it 🥶 Keep safe out there everybody.

Going to feel tropical on Sunday with double digits forecast.

Could contain: Gauge, Tachometer, Screen, Electronics, Monitor, Hardware, Computer Hardware

Edited by 80sWeather
  • Like 4

Posted
30 minutes ago, TonyK St Albans said:

Going by car dashboard, -7 at eastern fringe of St Albans. Lowest ever I've seen it. 

Half six this morning, car registered -11 by the A1 at Welwyn.

• Like 4

Posted
11 minutes ago, 80sWeather said:

Morning all car thermometer said -9 this morning, lowest I’ve ever seen it 🥶 Keep safe out there everybody.

Going to feel tropical on Sunday with double digits forecast.

Could contain: Gauge, Tachometer, Screen, Electronics, Monitor, Hardware, Computer Hardware

Cor a least 3c lower than me here ,and a couple of photos from this morning too..last one you can see where the River Medway runs with mist all along  it 🙂

Could contain: Screen, Electronics, Monitor, Computer Hardware, Hardware, Car, Vehicle, Transportation, TV

Could contain: Tree, Road, Scenery, Outdoors, Nature, Ice, Plateau, Weather, Gravel, Fir

Could contain: Tree, Plant, Fir, Sign, Symbol, Scenery, Outdoors, Nature, Road, Ice

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: cold and snowy. Summer: hot and sunny
43 minutes ago, TN9 said:

If this had been like our usual or  if any snow in Feb or March it would be long gone ,early winter snow is best by a long shot but only since Sunday seems its been forever bit like the 40c in July,might as well been 10 years ago,seems like it anyway ,no worries though 4 months time be getting hot again ,nuts isn't it.. (and not sweaty ones ) 🙂

Absolutely, this is the best time of year for a freeze in my opinion. It's festive, solar energy is at it's weakest, the days are short. During the BFTE, temperatures were sub zero during the day but that didn't stop rapid snow melt once the sun came out. It was really disheartening to see that powdery snow disappear even when temperature's were hovering around -2c. It's why I'm never particularly interested in Spring cold snaps. 

I'm getting used to living in a winter wonderland, and am kind of dreading the milder few days coming up as all this lovely, crunchy snow will turn to slush. 

• Like 2

Posted

My small garden registered -6.7c this morning. But car temp showed -8c and stayed that way all the way to Ware. Rose to -7c on the way home and was -6c by the time I was back in Stevenage. Garden temp now -3.6c and rising rapidly, but the garden is small and the sun is now on it, so I imagine it's a lot lower than that.

• Like 2

Posted

Car dashboard said -6c this morning at 9am on the school run, the actual temperature could have been even lower. The snow cover out there is still pristine. 

Could contain: Nature, Outdoors, Weather, Yard, Ice, Tree, Plant, Fir, Scenery, Snow

Could contain: Outdoors, Backyard, Nature, Yard, Weather, Chair, Furniture, Snow

• Like 6

Posted
8 minutes ago, danm said:

Absolutely, this is the best time of year for a freeze in my opinion. It's festive, solar energy is at it's weakest, the days are short. During the BFTE, temperatures were sub zero during the day but that didn't stop rapid snow melt once the sun came out. It was really disheartening to see that powdery snow disappear even when temperature's were hovering around -2c. It's why I'm never particularly interested in Spring cold snaps. 

I'm getting used to living in a winter wonderland, and am kind of dreading the milder few days coming up as all this lovely, crunchy snow will turn to slush. 

True that. I still think that made this spell so special  has been the continuously low DPs. Look at them just now! TCould contain: Plot, Chart, Mapoo high DPs have been the undoing of several potentially special cold spells in the past. 

The other thing is that's isn't wonderful this can still happen. 👍 

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Seasonal and interesting weather including summer storms and winter snow

Minus 8 this morning in the garden at 7.30am. Glorious winters morning, lovely blue skies and thick snow with a crust of frost on top..

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, T Storms.
1 hour ago, TN9 said:

Not strictly true, I had snow on the ground for seven days last February, it depends on many things. Did get a top up the day before the Thor, but the old icy snow was still there. Before that.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, snow, warm sunny days.

Can't remember the last time snow stuck around for so long it kinda gives you an idea of what it would be like living in a country where this is normal in winter. 

Current pictures of what is like imby.

Could contain: Nature, Outdoors, Winter, Yard, Snow, Snowman, Backyard, Shelter, Building, Architecture

Edited by Gowon
  • Like 5

Posted

Minus 9 here at 6.30am, 16.c indoors but felt colder. The guy downstairs has gone away this week so the flat below is unheated, making our floors  very cold. What with the cost of heating, we decided to not let any of our 3 wall heaters go above 19.c and to not let the humidity rise above 80 as damp, cold air is harder to heat. It's been quite a battle to maintain a comfortable environment since the cold weather arrived and the windowsills are sopping with condensation. Dare I say it but I'll tale 11.c and rainy at the moment.

• Like 2

Posted

Rothamsted (CET station~)-5C at 10AM - I honestly don't recall such low daytime temps in recent times.

Also BBC forecast has 'flopped' now showing much cooler and snow/sleet including xmas day after the short warm spell

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun, sleet, Snow
59 minutes ago, m1chaels said:

Rothamsted (CET station~)-5C at 10AM - I honestly don't recall such low daytime temps in recent times.

Also BBC forecast has 'flopped' now showing much cooler and snow/sleet including xmas day after the short warm spell

Trending colder in the MOD thread now too😂

Posted

Haven’t seen the car dash nor wall thermometer tick over -1c past 4 days now. Bright blue sunny skies and still -1.5c at 1pm. 

Beautiful, wish winter days were like this always. Million times better than Atlantic crud. 

Who’s up for round 2 Sunday? Especially north of m25, yes will be a quick transition to mild but better than nothing on this Atlantic island. 

• Like 3

Posted
2 hours ago, alexisj9 said:

Not strictly true, I had snow on the ground for seven days last February, it depends on many things. Did get a top up the day before the Thor, but the old icy snow was still there. Before that.

In Feb 2021 here in London at least, it was pretty much overcast all week which limited the thaw. In any sunshine we would have had more. 

Posted
2 hours ago, Gowon said:

Can't remember the last time snow stuck around for so long it kinda gives you an idea of what it would be like living in a country where this is normal in winter. 

Current pictures of what is like imby.

beginning to look like one of those Easter Island statues

• Like 1