Thunder?
Local
Radar
Hot?
IGNORED

SE, London & EA - Weather Discussion

Posted

Sitting in overcast conditions, glass of wine looking at radar with Pinks please don't leave me track on playback . She was talking about her husband but I'm thinking summer lol 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and frost in the winter. Hot and sunny, thunderstorms in the summer.

Looks like the gap is filling in, torrential rain and some lightning overhead.

Edited by Captain Shortwave

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow,thunder,tornados

Just seen this, that'll be nice Screenshot_20230910_152542.thumb.jpg.77ac5c40a9d69786722eeef84c893441.jpg

• Like 1

Posted

Very warm and humid. Much Ac Cas with precipitation evaporating well before reaching the ground.  

• Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine. And storms

Got the grass cut as it's been cloudy with some breeze. Heat doesn't bother me overmuch but it's surprising how quickly the garden is crying out for some rain again, the limp astrantias are always a good indicator! 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and frost in the winter. Hot and sunny, thunderstorms in the summer.

Another rumble of thunder heard to the south of here, there appear to be a few new cells developing over East Anglia now.

Posted
3 minutes ago, Captain Shortwave said:

Another rumble of thunder heard to the south of here, there appear to be a few new cells developing over East Anglia now.

Looks like we might get some drizzle if and a big ..if ..we are lucky 😞 

Could contain:

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot summers, snowy winters and thunderstorms!
6 minutes ago, TN9 said:

Looks like we might get some drizzle if and a big ..if ..we are lucky 😞 

Could contain:

Please God. It's absolutely sweltering. I'm showering 3 times a day because I'm just constantly sweating 

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...
6 minutes ago, Seasonal Trim said:

Anything at all coming to South Essex? I'm desperate for a bit of rain. Don't even mind if it's not accompanied by thunder, just some rain would be fantastic!

No storms, of course, but a stinker of a night is coming. 

• Like 2

Posted
43 minutes ago, Lauren said:

Please God. It's absolutely sweltering. I'm showering 3 times a day because I'm just constantly sweating 

Its Like that Lauren isn't it ..to much heat not enough action ..I've had mist and low level fog in mornings but trying to get decent downpour is like pulling teeth here:( 

I got a few dollops in Whitstable out of that ..thats it though 

Could contain:

Edited by TN9

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Blizzards,Hot Thundery nights.

Watched all the storms skirt by to our west managed to have one rumble of thunder😃

Could contain:

and now we have light drizzly rain.

Edited by 80sWeather
  • Like 3

Posted

And what they are saying in this article is once it gets so dry (soil) precipitation amounts mean nothing on the dynamical  scale ..at least half is  run off ...I dig every day..its my job ..so I don't know many things but I do know about the ground soil  moisture ..its dry and getting dryer ..thats only my opinion by my  observation in my local area ..

THE recent drought and water shortage in England has re-emphasized the need for a more detailed knowledge and better understanding of the climate of the past. Without such information it is impossible to make meaningful statistical statements about the future occurrence of such extreme events. Many meteorological statements have been made about the severity and causes of the 1976 drought, mainly in the popular press, but also in the scientific literature1. These statements have generally concerned precipitation; but data on precipitation alone are not necessarily good indicators of drought. In this paper we distinguish between three different kinds of drought—meteorological, hydrological and agricultural drought—noting that agricultural and hydrological drought conditions are determined, not only by rainfall, but also by evaporation and by the timing of rainfall events. Using both precipitation and evaporation data for Kew we derive a time series of soil moisture deficits which we believe gives a more rational measure of agricultural drought severity than can be obtained from precipitation data alone.  ...

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Insightful 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, T Storms.
9 minutes ago, TN9 said:

And what they are saying in this article is once it gets so dry (soil) precipitation amounts mean nothing on the dynamical  scale ..at least half is  run off ...I dig every day..its my job ..so I don't know many things but I do know about the ground soil  moisture ..its dry and getting dryer ..thats only my opinion by my  observation in my local area ..

THE recent drought and water shortage in England has re-emphasized the need for a more detailed knowledge and better understanding of the climate of the past. Without such information it is impossible to make meaningful statistical statements about the future occurrence of such extreme events. Many meteorological statements have been made about the severity and causes of the 1976 drought, mainly in the popular press, but also in the scientific literature1. These statements have generally concerned precipitation; but data on precipitation alone are not necessarily good indicators of drought. In this paper we distinguish between three different kinds of drought—meteorological, hydrological and agricultural drought—noting that agricultural and hydrological drought conditions are determined, not only by rainfall, but also by evaporation and by the timing of rainfall events. Using both precipitation and evaporation data for Kew we derive a time series of soil moisture deficits which we believe gives a more rational measure of agricultural drought severity than can be obtained from precipitation data alone.  ...

I wonder do you have a link, the actual paper sounds interesting, I tried to explain this in the drought thread ages ago, in June when everyone saying it's rained a lot before this there's no drought.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot summers, snowy winters and thunderstorms!
17 minutes ago, Shaunado said:

My Lightning app has detected strikes in nw Kent. Are these genuine?

I've not seen or heard anything but that doesn't mean there hasn't been something.

• Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, T Storms.

Well whatever that light rain was has now past, highlights a rainbow and a paraglider disappearing into verga. Are you even supposed to paraglid in rain. Have a feeling he/she got caught by surprise.

Posted
6 hours ago, alexisj9 said:

I wonder do you have a link, the actual paper sounds interesting, I tried to explain this in the drought thread ages ago, in June when everyone saying it's rained a lot before this there's no drought.

I'm on it ..but the paper they wrote was years ago but it still holds true especially as we get most of our water through aquifers 

What I'm or it was trying to say was because of a  vicious circle say  we have 20mm of rain in a shower as such (hard) the dryer the soil in first place will determine what soaks in or runs off ..ie we had a wet July and August for instance but thats not soil moisture by a long shot

Edited by TN9
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and Frosty Mornings

Excuse the wife she had just been hit in the head by a large hail stone 😁

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Posted

Some low cloud this morning, but this should clear and break up relatively quickly.

A decent and warm day today with good sunny spells and just the chance of a shower in western areas.

image.thumb.png.6a63bdc85103e3b6d769eaa55a27dd17.png

Temperatures could reached 27c in eastern parts of the region, more generally around 25c.

Posted
2 hours ago, Captain Shortwave said:

Some low cloud this morning, but this should clear and break up relatively quickly.

A decent and warm day today with good sunny spells and just the chance of a shower in western areas.

image.thumb.png.6a63bdc85103e3b6d769eaa55a27dd17.png

Temperatures could reached 27c in eastern parts of the region, more generally around 25c.

There's a clump of showers heading from Rouen but like our normal set up they veer to the right  looking north  to the the left  lookin south * or whatever * but see what happens but Brussels will have it for sure 🙂

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy November to March and Sunny and warm April to October

Crazy was there a cold front in the last hour? I left Bexley it was 29c got home changed went back out and it was only 25c! I notice tonight still looks very warm 20c until 3am on Met app