Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model discussion - hunt for cold Christmas period 2021

Paul
Message added by Paul,

Please remember this is a model based discussion - some chat is ok, but a weather model related theme should run throughout.

The guiding principles of everyone's participation in this thread are:
Be kind -- Stay on topic -- Share your knowledge -- Be polite -- Be honest -- Be tolerant -- Be family friendly

For a less frenetic look at the models head over to the alternate model discussion

Posted
2 hours ago, okidoke said:

Well looking at the long rang model from the Met who seemed to have called it most of the winter already looks grim! ;-(

Least we forget before Christmas when we saw all those amazing winter charts they stuck to their mild forecast and was right! 

9th - 23rd January 2022

There is the potential for a short, settled spell to begin the period, before more changeable, milder condition return later in the month. Feeling colder with a risk of fog during any settled spells. Still the chance for some widely milder conditions too, bringing the risk of heavy rain and strong winds at times

I think the polar vortex is so strong and continues to be so with no or little signs of that changing which will only make zonal and southerly winds even more stronger

How often do you read this?  If you follow it regularly you will know that 2 weeks ago it was describing below average temps and widespread snow and ice for this week.  In fact on Wednesday they were talking about snow for central areas on Christmas Day… truth is they are not very accurate and haven’t  ‘called it right’ very often so far this winter and they could flip to cold and snow again any day ??‍♂️

• Like 6

Posted
26 minutes ago, fromey said:

And to rub salt into our wounds!!

3133ABED-A78A-4925-B23B-5CF72892237F.jpeg

Hail, I think from the photos & videos I saw a few days ago of this event. Plus reportedly that camel photo is a prior one from another Middle East location a year or two ago. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: continental climate

Just read UKMo 16-31d, gone is the cold wording altogether. In the models what we can see are 2 features that plagued our recent winters. 1.Iberian High, 2.poorly placed Atlantic trough, UK really needs all cards to allign,unbelievable. Here in Slovakia we escaped mild last minute. I mean that was close, reward is this temperature now that says it all + 15cm snow.

IMG_20211226_165344.jpg

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold snow, thunderstorms
1 minute ago, fergieweather said:

Hail, I think from the photos & videos I saw a few days ago of this event. Plus reportedly that camel photo is a prior one from another Middle East location a year or two ago. 

Thanks @fergieweather 

Posted
4 minutes ago, Tim Bland said:

How often do you read this?  If you follow it regularly you will know that 2 weeks ago it was describing below average temps and widespread snow and ice for this week.  In fact on Wednesday they were talking about snow for central areas on Christmas Day… truth is they are not very accurate and haven’t  ‘called it right’ very often so far this winter and they could flip to cold and snow again any day ??‍♂️

Where is this strong polar vortex? it looks raggedy and it avoiding Greenland like there's no tomorrow. The whole of the runs for the next 12 days look unusual and interesting. I think we will hit the jackpot for cold later next month. Nothing is normal

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold Snowy Winters, Hot Thundery Summers
27 minutes ago, Eskimo said:

The solar flare and sun spot posts are always a good indication thaf it's looking bleak  

Or it's used as an excuse for a cold punt that has gone wrong lol

• Like 3

Posted
6 minutes ago, Battleground Snow said:

Greenland heights increasing run to run,

Yes I know they shouldn't be trusted and Iberian heights are still present before someone calls me out.

gfsnh-0-192 (17).png

It looks like the Alaskan heights are about to spill into the pole!! 

73608020-02E7-423A-B8CC-51CD9E90D669.png

• Like 5

Posted
3 minutes ago, blizzard81 said:

So cruel. Is it going to be one of those 'nearly' winters again. 

gfsnh-0-216.png

Yes it’s very close. Thankfully it’s already bad for the U.K., so let’s pretend this is what we all want and we may lose it last minute to a big freeze

Shetlands will be cold 

46AD36F5-A007-45E3-A4BC-6DEC387104FE.png

Edited by Ali1977
  • Like 2

Posted
1 minute ago, fergieweather said:

Hi Tim, in all fairness to UKMO these updates you mention are just one of the many forecast duties performed by (I assume still - certainly was, quite recently) a deputy chief forecaster on a busy shift of many pressing tasks, some of greater immediacy. They're predicated on the 2x weekly updates of extended ECMWF output, plus -  when/if relevant - any conflicting strong signal from Glosea6. Thus the continuity of overall emphasis won't necessarily change day-to-day, as that would become an unfathomable mess reacting run-to-run. In similar vein, the BBC Monthly outlook is also tied to ECMWF updates, albeit over many recent weeks they've (DTN) purposely leaned to caution over that model's solution(s) beyond a ~2 week lead due to poor performance, heading instead in favour of statistical models/analogues. So the UKMO longer-lead switches aren't down to forecasters being volatile(!), but instead the modelling. They're compiled in good faith from the available evidence as they see it, in simplified format, very much as are the BBC ones (ie translating into a public-facing style the more 'technical' sub-seasonal forecasts that DTN issue 2x weekly). It can be a poison chalice writing these, especially in winter. Cheers.

Lots of good info their Fergie thanks , nice to see you commenting again. Hopefully you can keep us informed of any “potential cold” that you know many of this forum crave, and not get grief when it’s generally and most likely to go wrong

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun, sleet, Snow
1 hour ago, Eskimo said:

The solar flare and sun spot posts are always a good indication thaf it's looking bleak  

I personally blame Jeff Bezos

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter spring autumn

We need a decent cold spell, I've so many hats gloves and scarves piled up from my yearly Christmas gifts.

• Like 1

Posted
7 minutes ago, Ali1977 said:

Lots of good info their Fergie thanks , nice to see you commenting again. Hopefully you can keep us informed of any “potential cold” that you know many of this forum crave, and not get grief when it’s generally and most likely to go wrong

I'm not sure it's helpful for people to pander to these unhealthy cravings

• Like 6

Posted
13 minutes ago, fergieweather said:

Hi Tim, in all fairness to UKMO these updates you mention are just one of the many forecast duties performed by (I assume still - certainly was, quite recently) a deputy chief forecaster on a busy shift of many pressing tasks, some of greater immediacy. They're predicated on the 2x weekly updates of extended ECMWF output, plus -  when/if relevant - any conflicting strong signal from Glosea6. Thus the continuity of overall emphasis won't necessarily change day-to-day, as that would become an unfathomable mess reacting run-to-run. In similar vein, the BBC Monthly outlook is also tied to ECMWF updates, albeit over many recent weeks they've (DTN) purposely leaned to caution over that model's solution(s) beyond a ~2 week lead due to poor performance, heading instead in favour of statistical models/analogues. So the UKMO longer-lead switches aren't down to forecasters being volatile(!), but instead the modelling. They're compiled in good faith from the available evidence as they see it, in simplified format, very much as are the BBC ones (ie translating into a public-facing style the more 'technical' sub-seasonal forecasts that DTN issue 2x weekly). It can be a poison chalice writing these, especially in winter. Cheers.

Hi Ian, thanks for the insight. Wasn’t a dig at the forecaster who writes them,  more a response to ‘winter is over’ posts citing the meto long range as evidence. As you say these are compiled based on the data at the time…and that data / model outputs are liable to change. On our tiny island we are vulnerable to small changes so it’s a difficult task …that’s what makes it so interesting ! 

• Like 1

Posted
4 minutes ago, knocker said:

I'm not sure it's helpful for people to pander to these unhealthy cravings

Unhealthy cravings, sound more like a battered Mars bar than a deep freeze - but I get what you’re saying. 

• Like 1

Posted
4 hours ago, geordiekev said:

So bookies have paid out on Dublin, Manchester & Glasgow, still waiting on Leeds, seems to be only those cities in the pink & sleet discounted. So close on many other North of Birmingham ❄

Screenshot_20211226-090400_Chrome.jpg

Do we know about Sheffield?  I had Manchester too but bet still unsettled.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: All seasons veteran of the 1981 winter

Just for observational fun ,

Maybe another Hunt for cold coming up, 

Chins up Round 2 maybe.

I never normally post past T240.

It's Christmas and I need a bit of festive cheer. 

Enjoy rest of Christmas everyone 

Stay safe.

22011009_2612.gif

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spanish Plumes, Blizzards, Severe Frosts :-)

Merry Boxing Day… …anyway…Praise the lord the Gfs 6z op is not a completely mild crap fest.! …hallelujah.. try spelling that correctly when you’re pished!  

6A2D01A6-2362-40EA-81E2-37CD680EA73A.thumb.jpeg.9d71b2c16dc2d8099ef3cfbd226d08ac.jpegF5570713-DCB6-42F7-ACE1-6640AA3CE088.png.03d963f8e3d2cf08452b42045504db48.png0794F98F-27FC-4B06-99BE-4DAC68C2B943.thumb.gif.b372eab9d3024bee4cad0c4009371dc8.gif

• Like 4