Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

South West and Central Southern England Regional Weather Discussion

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snow and summer heatwaves.
Just now, Mark Parsons said:

First red and green pixels showing up around Oakhampton........

Put it out FK....  🙄🤣

Could contain: Head, Person, Face, Smoke, Smoking

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.
4 hours ago, dr weather said:

It reached 8 degrees here earlier.

Tomorrow is forecast to be rather cooler, with a mixture of rain and snow. I'm getting a strong whiff of a nothing-burger.

Blimey! Didn’t get much above 5 here during the day, the highest temp actually being at midnight.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: ☀️

Driving home just now - Southampton 5c, romsey 3c, test valley with a bit of elevation 1c

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extreme!

Could be an interesting 48 hours for some in our region 🙂

looking forward to watching things unfold.

Be it white or wet, should be fun 🤩 ❄️ ☔

Im hoping for some of the white stuff up into the north of the region, I know we have a few members in and around Stroud, and of course @Ali1977 is north east Cotswolds. 

Good luck to everyone:) 

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spanish plumes & stormy winters. Facebook @ Lance's Lightning Shots

It wouldn't be a south UK snow event if there wasn't an extreme level of uncertainty even this late in the day!

Logic tells me that it's 80/20 in rain's favour here on the IOW. I reckon I'll awake to rain with random bits of wet snow thrown in.

Much higher chances as soon as you get north of the M27 of course.

• Like 4

Posted
Just now, chris55 said:

Could be an interesting 48 hours for some in our region 🙂

looking forward to watching things unfold.

Be it white or wet, should be fun 🤩 ❄️ ☔

Im hoping for some of the white stuff up into the north of the region, I know we have a few members in and around Stroud, and of course @Ali1977 is north east Cotswolds. 

Good luck to everyone:) 

Don't look in the mod thread then because our event wants to move north of M4 altogether now, that really would be the final insult this winter if it's true... 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Posted
Just now, Nights King said:

Don't look in the mod thread then because our event wants to move north of M4 altogether now, that really would be the final insult this winter if it's true... 

Radar is best now anyway, wouldn't read too much into any charts for tomorrow.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold snow, thunderstorms

Temp here is rising 1.3c up from 0.5c  dew point -0.2 up from -1. Probably going to be rain or sleet at best! 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: The fabled channel low
14 minutes ago, Nights King said:

Put it out FK....  🙄🤣

Could contain: Head, Person, Face, Smoke, Smoking

Bang to rights!!!

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter spring autumn

I do this to myself every year...but I think I,m going to see nothing but cold rain here in Gosport.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Most(see in interests section.)
45 minutes ago, Nights King said:

I work just above westbury in erlestoke about 100m asl so I hope that is enough to at least see real snow if it is a sleet and rain event for home.

Hi Nights King,

I just put my head outside the front door to wave goodbye to my son 

and it was really cold cold and it’s been for some time. 

it was quite confusing earlier in the day because we had quite a bit of moderate wet snow on and off but never did it feel that cold to me really. 

I know sometimes people say it warms up before it snows but I felt to 

mild for snow and now it’s much colder out there I don’t think it will start off as late as forecast but instead start office now or at least I’m hoping so.

for you though 100m asl I think has a great chance.

I want to how many metres Westbury Whitehorse hill is above sea level as I often go up there and play football with my boy. I’m imagining it’s probably 150-or 200m asl. 

good luck everyone that wants to see the white stuff hope you all get it

15 minutes ago, Saint coolio said:

Driving home just now - Southampton 5c, romsey 3c, test valley with a bit of elevation 1c

Are used to work in test Valley live just off Millbrook Road and the difference in the weather was phenomenal.

I remember us working on Romsey estate and it started snowing so heavy and settling everyone got sent home and yet when I got back down the M27 it was just raining onto Millbrook Road. 

• Like 6

Posted
11 minutes ago, fromey said:

Temp here is rising 1.3c up from 0.5c  dew point -0.2 up from -1. Probably going to be rain or sleet at best! 

Hi Fromey,

that’s really surprising as it felt really cold out there unless it’s just the effect of going from a warm house to outside but to me does feel very cold.

Will be surprised if it’s just rain or sleet but then again that has happened before when we were at zero once I remember it raining.

fingers crossed it’s not rain or sleet

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: frosty, lots of snow and good ol fashion thunderstorms.

Temperature  now down to 1c .  Having a rest from the Mad thread as it started to slip into the north v south again it drives me mad in my little head anyone  that gets snow over the next couple of days is lucky not just because you live up North or down South !!  OK my rant over  😊

• Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, stormy
11 minutes ago, offerman said:

Hi Nights King,

it was quite confusing earlier in the day because we had quite a bit of moderate wet snow on and off but never did it feel that cold to me really. 

mild for snow and now it’s much colder out there I don’t think it will start off as late as forecast but instead start office now or at least I’m hoping so.

I want to how many metres Westbury Whitehorse hill is above sea level as I often go up there and play football with my boy. I’m imagining it’s probably 150-or 200m asl. 

Are used to work in test Valley live just off Millbrook Road and the difference in the weather was phenomenal.

I remember us working on Romsey estate and it started snowing so heavy and settling everyone got sent home and yet when I got back down the M27 it was just raining onto Millbrook Road. 

The white horse car park is at 225 m above sea level. Cody hill is higher at 244m. I have seen the snow line on Cley Hill on occasion, once memorably driving from Frome to Warminster, the rain turned to snow going up the hill to Corley Heath.

Edited by warmintim
  • Like 3

Posted

Cant wait for a spell of cold rain here in Poole. Absolutely vile, the worst kind of weather. Give me anything except for cold, miserable rain. Would much prefer a sharp northerly in April when the sun is stronger and the showers are often thundery with hail and those towering cumulus the April sunshine can generate. But this cold, grey rain and drizzle can do one! 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Posted
5 minutes ago, Mapantz said:

One thing's for sure.. plenty of rain to come down here!

Could contain: Chart, Plot, Art

That is going to be mega over the South Downs. A trip up Old Winchester Hill could be a bit dicey by this time tomorrow!

• Like 6

Posted
2 minutes ago, Man With Beard said:

That is going to be mega over the South Downs. A trip up Old Winchester Hill could be a bit dicey by this time tomorrow!

Sound idea ....But how about Butser hill?

I remember lugging my skis up Butser hill back in the early 80s....my couple of runs down were great but the walk up was very hard work in my ski boots.

• Like 3

Posted
7 minutes ago, nettie said:

Temperature  now down to 1c .  Having a rest from the Mad thread as it started to slip into the north v south again it drives me mad in my little head anyone  that gets snow over the next couple of days is lucky not just because you live up North or down South !!  OK my rant over  😊

Yes, it has to say the least become somewhat obnoxious in there since this afternoon despite the best efforts of the mods and some of the more learned posters.

From my extremely amateur perspective the models look all over the place at the moment; even at such short notice. It’s like pin the tail on donkey. One minute further north, then further south. Though I must say I’m not liking the trend this evening.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: frosty, lots of snow and good ol fashion thunderstorms.

Completely agree they look all over the place to my I don't have a scooby doo  on charts eye 😂  but I am enjoying the ride . 

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warehamwx.co.uk

I think a good gauge of the second system will be to compare the current system to some charts in a few hours time. 

• Like 2

Posted
28 minutes ago, offerman said:

Hi Nights King,

I think white horse is around 150 - 200 max off top of my head because it was often less snowy than home on mendip back in day and I looked it up once when I was dating girl from westbury. 🙄

• Like 2

Posted
23 minutes ago, warmintim said:

The white horse car park is at 225 m above sea level. Cody hill is higher at 244m. I have seen the snow line on Cley Hill on occasion, once memorably driving from Frome to Warminster, the rain turned to snow going up the hill to Corley Heath.

Evening Warmintim,

funny you should mention that has a few years ago I was looking out from Frome over to Clay Hill and it was raining cats and dogs where I was.but you could see Cley was white.

what was astonishing was that the snow line was right at the base of the hill and yet the surrounding fields were all green and the whole landscape green and a snow line was literally as it went through the gate up to 3 or four steps to the base of the hill that’s where the snow line started. It was just a very light covering at the base and yet at the top was a good 4-5 inches of snow so I had a good sledge. Was so bizarre being a top of the hill and looking out across the landscape which was completely green and there we were at the top of the hill in quite thick snow I shall never forget that memory. 

It really is so fine isn’t it the  snow lines.

• Like 3