Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model discussion: Hunt for cold - into mid-January

Message added by Paul,

Please stick to discussing the model output in this thread and use the winter chat thread for non-model related discussion.

The guiding principles of everyone's participation in this thread are:
Be kind -- Stay on topic -- Share your knowledge -- Be polite -- Be honest -- Be tolerant -- Be family-friendly

For less of a cold-slanted look at the models, please head over to the alternate model discussion

Posted
2 minutes ago, Ali1977 said:

The ECM 00z at 144 vs 12z at 144 below. I’d say it’s defo a step towards the GFS but I can’t see it being a deep cold run. Room for improvement though hopefully.

FCC521B6-13A3-420A-A6EE-CE0B04A63B92.png

79BA73AF-B8AE-43B1-AE73-50F2FEC74190.png

Big diffference with energy towards the Azores on this run… from ecm which i hope will hope on the next frame

• Like 1

Posted
Just now, Mike Poole said:

No, it has missed the chance to get WAA up the west side of Greenland, which is so important to get anything to stick there.  

I wonder if the American METO have discounted their Op run!! It was always a long shot, but at day six there is chance of a middle ground, which may still be good 

• Like 1

Posted
Just now, Lukesluckybunch said:

think it will sink sadly

Not sure.. energy towards Azores and to our direct south might help at 168

• Thanks 1

Posted

Very close to great, and some lower heights to the south stopping sinking so quickly - will be v cold regardless at the surface - even looks a little “slider” like moving forward 

B4929C6C-84CE-4F4C-8FA7-087D9B3B2CFA.png

B732B90A-D9F2-4484-B8D0-2B67E60C5BCA.png

Edited by Ali1977
  • Like 2

Posted

Still climbing at 168 just all a little too Far East for the deep cold.. but that energy towards Azores and to our south is something new and it helped provide a decent 168

image.thumb.png.3e663cc5985af05085fd61f048ef03fc.png

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Dry mild or snow winter. Hot and humid summer.

You’ve got to give the high 10 out of 10 for trying but the jet keeps winning and knocking it back down. soooooooooo frustrating but hey ho. 

• Like 1

Posted
11 minutes ago, TSNWK said:

Still climbing at 168 just all a little too Far East for the deep cold.. but that energy towards Azores and to our south is something new and it helped provide a decent 168

image.thumb.png.3e663cc5985af05085fd61f048ef03fc.png

Over to the ENS, if that GFS is anywhere close to being right then this ECM really needs to be a mild outlier !! The Clusters will be more telling though. 
If the METO Aren’t mentioning it (yet) you’d have to say the GFS is probably unlikely as most on here will know!! 

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and heatwave

I don't often post in model output discussion because after 15 years my knowledge is some what thin.

I have learnt we need blue/mauve over us and yellow orange etc to go away if you want cold and snow

18 Jan looking promising, supporting chart attached

Jan 18.jpg

• Like 7

Posted

im happy with this ECM looks cold throughout,and i still think theres time for upgrade in terms of that high going north toward greenland at 168,i think this will be a outlier for mild.

Edited by Lukesluckybunch
change word
  • Like 2

Posted

Ecm is being a right old party pooper again tonight and in its desperation to be so looks an absolute dogs dinner to my eyes. It looks all over the place. 

Edited by blizzard81
  • Like 3

Posted

ECM in line with todays update from the Met Office. Mainly settled and cold with a return to unsettled and milder weather by day 10.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Posted

We need to see some improvements in the ecm ens from day 7. If that happens this evening I for one will be happy with the general 12z trends. 

• Like 3

Posted

On the whole a pleasing set of 12z with the pendulum taking a decent swing towards cold holistically across the models up 168.. gfs and gem then light the touch paper with a decent 3 day cold blast followed by stangnent cold… ecm improved up to 168 and went a bit naff for coldies…

could be a lot worse need to keep gfs and gem and ecm improve by same margin overnight is how I call it..

Edited by TSNWK
  • Like 2

Posted

As I've already stated the ecm op screams.... I don't have a clue! Its just a mess. It makes Boris Johnson's barnet look a fraction neat. Day 10 attached. To be honest, we could be in a much worse position than this chart but I think we should be in a much better place come day 10. Atlantic is still slack even on this weird run and just look at that cold block to the east. Impressive. 

ECH1-240 (3).gif

ECH0-240 (1).gif

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow then clear and frosty.

I notice ecm finds more ridging as soon as t144 compared to yesterday's 12z for the same date.

ECH1-144.thumb.gif.e08b8ddb27cfbfd1e6b782e36ec64347.gifECH1-168.thumb.gif.154643d6b25324b2074c90dcd7f95242.gif

this small improvement looks even better 24hrs on.Again we see the differences in modeling the pv.

• Like 6

Posted

ECM going in a totaly different direction tonight collapsing the high pressure at 8 to 9days out yet 168 hrs

high pressure showing strongly to the northwest.Looks odd to me,we of course will see if correct or not 

but find it unusual to see high pressure collapsing so quickly.possible outlier.

• Like 2

Posted
1 minute ago, blizzard81 said:

As I've already stated the ecm op screams.... I don't have a clue! Its just a mess. It makes Boris Johnson's barnet look a fraction neat. Day 10 attached. To be honest, we could be in a much worse position than this chart but I think we should be in a much better place come day 10. Atlantic is still slack even on this weird run and just look at that cold block to the east. Impressive. 

ECH1-240 (3).gif

ECH0-240 (1).gif

I wonder what surface temps would be under that area of slack low pressure with uppers around -4 would not be an inversion cold but slack low pressure is cold at surface as well I think?

• Like 3

Posted
2 minutes ago, phil nw. said:

I notice ecm finds more ridging as soon as t144 compared to yesterday's 12z for the same date.

ECH1-144.thumb.gif.e08b8ddb27cfbfd1e6b782e36ec64347.gifECH1-168.thumb.gif.154643d6b25324b2074c90dcd7f95242.gif

this small improvement looks even better 24hrs on.Again we see the differences in modeling the pv.

Indeed. Also, lets compare the 192hr chart from Saturdays run to the 144hr chart you posted above from today's run. Unbelievable difference. The trend is most definitely our friend at the moment. 

ECH1-192 (3).gif

3 minutes ago, TSNWK said:

I wonder what surface temps would be under that area of slack low pressure with uppers around -4 would not be an inversion cold but slack low pressure is cold at surface as well I think?

It would certainly feel cold and seasonal. 

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: All

Besides the slightly greater amplification towards Greenland, the 12z ECM op at 168h has good agreement with the 12z GFS ensemble mean, and indeed quite strikingly regarding the central placement of the high pressure heights close to Ireland and at around 1030mb, and also the shape, extent and 980mb depth of the trough heading down into central and Eastern Europe. The overall hemispheric configuration of the PV is similar enough too.
ECM op / GFS mean

42F1EBCF-D969-48A0-9605-6616DC51E4AE.thumb.png.b40e43aed93851ff5ca0600ba3e1f3ba.png 5624ED5E-8DA1-498D-962C-8863CAD587AB.thumb.png.98cbec24ad28348508ff59894d3eae91.png

So the ECM op and the middle of the GFS envelope pretty much in the same place and that is a slightly better place than where we were yesterday for prospects of getting some proper cold air down from the north. Still 7 days away with broad spreads across the models so plenty of time for further movement. It will be interesting to see if this is correct and a consensus for a near miss, or part of a longer trend towards a proper cold snap in a week’s time.

• Like 7

Posted
15 minutes ago, Anthony Burden said:

ECM going in a totaly different direction tonight collapsing the high pressure at 8 to 9days out yet 168 hrs

high pressure showing strongly to the northwest.Looks odd to me,we of course will see if correct or not 

but find it unusual to see high pressure collapsing so quickly.possible outlier.

The ECM has support from the UKMO. The GFS will be all change by 18z as usual in these circumstances 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1