Thunder?
Local
Radar
Hot?
IGNORED

Storm Eunice - 18th February

Posted

Now at home, got a radio scanner tuned into East midlands airport air traffic control, and its go around central, with one (Jet2?)  now diverting to Newcastle , pilots now reporting very high wind shear

• Thanks 1

Posted

Gusting 60mph in Leeds, only a yellow warning for these parts, shows how common it is. 

• Like 2

Tibenham checking in - very strong gusts, but so far no damage to speak of.

According to Met Office, we're in the 'peak' of our wind speeds at around 60 - regular lulls now, a very weird storm that's for sure.

Thanks all for the knowledgeable advice. Have there been any more models released on the possible sting jet? we could be in line for that if it formed.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: SNOWWWWWWWW

I have to say- many peoples who said this was a life threatening storm? I’d hate for you guys to witness an actual hurricane in America!

There has been nothing so far other than a few trees down/roofs over the 02 down  land a bit of snow? 

I dunno man don’t attack me, I just feel like this isn’t half as bad as expected…. Yet? Maybe?

• Like 3

Posted

Standing in the middle of an open field earlier in strongest gusts, was pretty strong, 65mph at a guess. Not strong enough to hold me up leaning into it. 

Imby not that big a deal. Over 80 would have been more exciting.  Should have gone to the iow for the day

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, T Storms.
2 minutes ago, Stabilo19 said:

Severe structural damage in Kent

Could that have caused some of the power cuts?

Posted
8 minutes ago, Freeman said:

I'm also In Peterborough and waiting to see if a sting jet passes through, who knows!

I'm looking around amateur sites. Can't see anything exceptional yet. If it hasn't happened within an hour, then the moment will have passed.

Posted
2 minutes ago, Jackski4 said:

I have to say- many peoples who said this was a life threatening storm? I’d hate for you guys to witness an actual hurricane in America!

There has been nothing so far other than a few trees down/roofs over the 02 down  land a bit of snow? 

I dunno man don’t attack me, I just feel like this isn’t half as bad as expected…. Yet? Maybe?

SMH 

• Thanks 4

Posted

In the hour up to 13.00 Almondsbury Meto station recorded a 60mph gust. Seems to be highest for this locality.

Winds around 35-40 mph over a period.

Stormy, but not overly severe for this immediate locality.

4 minutes ago, Jackski4 said:

Well we don't tend to build our houses from flimsy wood for starters and have far better building regulations than America. 

Posted

Still pretty gusty out here in Eastbourne - I had trouble walking in it earlier. Sea was very rough but thankfully this was not a spring tide so minimal splash points. However most of the coastal replenishment has now been eroded.

Some damage around including the Pier with minor roof damage, beach huts blown over, tiles/brickwork have fallen onto a parked car and smashed the rear windscreen. I think the winds are peaking now and thankful we didn't see the potential 90mph+ gusts.

XC is now forecasting 70mph gusts tomorrow which is an upgrade, so this may coincide with the passing rain band or possible squall? 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and plenty of it.

One of my daughters lives in Amsterdam and they are under a red warning. All the city closed down at 3pm.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow & cold (love it) any extremes.
1 minute ago, Man With Beard said:

If people had gone about their normal business round here, there would have been people in hospital through debris/trees. 

We've had a 122mph gust recorded 15 miles away from me. A local sailing club not far from me recorded a mean wind speed of 69mph and gust of 89mph. In CAT 1/2 hurricanes in USA, that's about the highest local weather station reports you'd get. 

To be clear, I'm not saying we've just had a hurricane, just pointing out this has been pretty bad round my end, and certainly as bad as expected. 3rd worst storm of my life after 87 and 90.

Exactly first death just announced. Some of the people on here are either trolling or trying to get reactions 

B8B04262-0311-45F4-B0D7-9D586CC323AB.jpeg

• Thanks 2

Posted

Starting to pick up here, I'm relatively sheltered from the West so a swing to a North Westerly would make things interesting 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.

Wind definitely died down here now. Was briefly impressive earlier on. Mainly gusting in the 30s and 40s mph now.

Posted

Basically, the people caught too far south for the snow and too far north for the winds are trying to downplay the whole thing to elicit a response. Maybe they could have a dedicated Eunice moaning thread and leave this for reports etc.?