Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

North West Regional Discussion March 2022 onwards

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winters, hot, sunny springs and summers.

6.1C to start the day, though the sun is out, and I’m hopeful of poking around the 15C mark today. Just need the winds to remain light, and it’ll be a lovely day!

• Like 6

Posted

Stunning start today, wall to wall blue sky.  Min temp danced between 2° and 3° with clear sky last night.  Current temp 7°, wooden fence panels are steaming.  Off work this week,  so many jobs planned to do but the hills and new trekking poles are calling, perfect day for a walk, too many days spent in work, that's it, mind made up, do what needs doing, then off out.

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - snow, Irish sea convection. Summer - thunderstorms, hot sunny days

Showers cleared yesterday afternoon and it was quite nice for a while then the showers came back again in the evening. Reached 13.1°C in the afternoon.

Showers cleared again overnight and it was a very cold night with a minimum of 5.3°C, coldest night of the autumn so far.

Edited by Chris.R
  • Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cool & dry, with regular cold, snowy periods.
11 hours ago, damianslaw said:

Entering the time of year when you are not sure how best to dress so to speak. I wore my warm winter raincoat today as there was a distinct nip in the air, but in the sunshine it's way too warm to wear, but under the showers it was fine.. until November its often a case of should I wear my warm rain coat or lighter one.

Yes, it's a problem I'm having at the moment when going out to cycle. Winter gear in September? Surely not...So it's short jersey/ shorts with arm/leg warmers, which can be removed - with a windproof gilet.

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snowy winters,warm summers and Storms

A cold school run at 3c has given way to beautiful blue skies and sunshine lovely stuff😎.

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winters, hot, sunny springs and summers.

This sky was so needed today. First nice day in aaaaaagessssss

998380C9-BBD8-45FD-8859-67B2CD943B7C.jpeg

265A298E-0D4B-4D82-925C-33286F594742.jpeg

37E38AD4-4350-4199-8093-FAD53EDC3606.jpeg

• Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snow, thunderstorms, warm summers not too hot.

Chilly start here with a low of 0.6C

Looks like the airport got down to 2C. Overall not been a bad day and it warmed up enough to feel pleasant in the afternoon sunshine. The sun still has a slight kick to it but it's clearly on the wane. Shadows on the ground are getting longer indicative of the lower sun angle.

Edited by Frost HoIIow
  • Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, frosty nights, thunderstorms and the odd gale

A much better day today. A chilly, but sunny start to the day with an overnight low of 3.8C, with mist here and there. Although a few clouds have bubbled up, it's stayed mostly sunny all day so far. 

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow & Ice
17 hours ago, damianslaw said:

Entering the time of year when you are not sure how best to dress so to speak. I wore my warm winter raincoat today as there was a distinct nip in the air, but un the sunshine it way too warm to wear, but under the showers it was fine.. until November its often a case of should I wear my warm rain coat or lighter one.

Hi Damian,

Still getting to grips with the local vagaries of the weather up here.

I note that the weather system that is moving into the Lake District later today is coming from the north east. During the winter are systems from this direction more likely to be wintry. Many thanks. Jim

• Like 6

Posted

Looking decidedly nasty in Tampa, Florida as hurricane Ian makes landfall nearby. 😬

default_card_315.jpg
WWW.METOFFICE.GOV.UK

Tampa 7 day weather forecast including weather warnings, temperature, rain, wind, visibility, humidity and UV

• Like 5

Posted

So glad I decided to go for a bit of a hike, I feel alive in the hills.  Stunning walk up to Shutlingsloe summit, called the 'Matterhorn of Cheshire' due to its shape.  Very chilly on the top, 506m asl, the views are well worth it.  In the trigg point pic to the left of it, you can see a small patch of shining water - Tittersworth Reservoir.  In last pic the sun has beautifully lit up Shining Tor, highest hill in Cheshire 559m asl.  Perfect walking weather.

Could contain:

Could contain:

Could contain:

• Like 8

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: All

Looks like Ian will be retired as a storm name.

• Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer heat and winter cold, and a bit of snow when on offer
1 hour ago, Frost HoIIow said:

Looking decidedly nasty in Tampa, Florida as hurricane Ian makes landfall nearby. 😬

default_card_315.jpg
WWW.METOFFICE.GOV.UK

Tampa 7 day weather forecast including weather warnings, temperature, rain, wind, visibility, humidity and UV

I drove over Tampa Bay on the Sunshine Skyway bridge in near perfect conditions and I was glad when I got down onto the other side.

I don’t have an issue with heights or bridges in general but narrow lanes and 40 ton Kenworths and Macks practically pushing you over it isn’t for me.

A decent shortcut for less than a dollar though but I wouldn’t do it at the moment if they threw a million of them back in my direction.

• Like 6

Posted

Disturbance coming down from NNE, loads of ppn.  What a waste!!!

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer heat and winter cold, and a bit of snow when on offer

Rain has arrived and unusually it’s from the northeast.

three months later and we’d have been looking at snow but no doubt then the Pennines would have stopped it dead in it’s tracks.

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Storms, and plenty of warm sunny days!
13 minutes ago, iand61 said:

three months later and we’d have been looking at snow but no doubt then the Pennines would have stopped it dead in it’s tracks.

I thought that rain was going to drop down the coast through East Yorks but it headed West/ South West and over the Pennine rain shield 🤷

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!
30 minutes ago, iand61 said:

I had snow from a similar setup on 29th Dec 2020

• Like 4

Posted
22 minutes ago, iand61 said:

All indicative that things aren't "normal" at the minute with weather systems dropping down from more northern and eastern climbs. Come Dec 1st though and you can guarantee business as usual. Everything will be from the south and west and we'll be sick of the rain. Then like magic northern blocking arrives in a vengeance come spring.

• Like 7

Posted

9c currently and raining… lookslike a wet night to come… managed to tarpaulin the collapsing shed roof to last over the winter and clear garage to put car in whilst in France over winter… mostly lovely sunny day… 

storm surge looking bad in Florida going by online footage… can’t believe it’s forecast to possibly reform as category 1 in Atlantic and hit Carolina’s plus storm surge/flooding Jacksonville other side of the Florida peninsula… crazy weather 

• Like 6

Posted
13 minutes ago, Frost HoIIow said:

All indicative that things aren't "normal" at the minute with weather systems dropping down from more northern and eastern climbs. Come Dec 1st though and you can guarantee business as usual. Everything will be from the south and west and we'll be sick of the rain. Then like magic northern blocking arrives in a vengeance come spring.

Yeah no doubt something along those lines will occur! I feel more confident of seeing snowfall in April than during winter because of the increased risk of Northern blocking during April! 

If this set up occurred with cold air wrapped in around it, there be much less PPN because of the colder air but would give some areas some snowfall for sure. 

• Like 6

Posted
5 hours ago, jimben said:

Hi Damian,

Still getting to grips with the local vagaries of the weather up here.

I note that the weather system that is moving into the Lake District later today is coming from the north east. During the winter are systems from this direction more likely to be wintry. Many thanks. Jim

In winter this would most likely give snow to central, eastern Cumbria, unless there was a warm sector involved, but unlikely given the uppers at the moment are quite cool.

We don't often experience frontal features from the NE, and in cold dry air I suspect much precipitation may be squeezed out this side of the Penines, but on occasion such systems can deliver copious snow especially to eastern Cumbria, penetrating about as far as the Keswick to Windermere. The NE coastline is not actually that far from much of eastern and central Cumbria, closer than the rest of the NW region.

Its been a chilly day, a bout of heavy cold rain this evening after a cold start. Brr.

Edited by damianslaw
  • Like 9

Posted
32 minutes ago, Weather-history said:

Only 0.8mm overnight and looking at the radar loop explains why The gap in the rain area went over my area.

Not many gaps in the rain here, a wet evening and first part of the overnight period but it’s dry again for now.

It looks like we have finally entered a wetter period but at least this and the front due on Saturday will hopefully start to reverse the still falling reservoir levels across the region.

• Like 6