Thunder?
Local
Radar
Hot?
IGNORED

North West Regional Discussion March 2022 onwards

Posted

Not getting the soaking I anticipated, now more windy round the front of the house, wind changed direction?  Hopefully brighter skies to follow, then a walk to the local Chinese.😁😋

• Like 8

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer heat and winter cold, and a bit of snow when on offer
9 minutes ago, Had Worse said:

No, I won't post the Miranda clip.

Have you got a new unofficial water feature in the conservatory? 

I think I’ve had if for a few years but I haven’t seen it operating since about June 2020.

• Like 8

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, frosty nights, thunderstorms and the odd gale

Moderate to heavy bursts of rain here on and off from around late morning, but has all moved away now. 9.8mm of rain has fallen today. Whilst it has been a little breezy, the wind has been nowhere near as strong as I was expecting. Skies now showing signs of brightening from the W/NW.

• Like 6

Posted

A rare instance of a day that sees a cold front move through and warms things up, inidicative of the fact there is still residual warmth from the sun combined with atlantic flows this time of year. Current temp 13.1 after having been held below 11 degrees before the clearance arrived.

• Like 8

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer heat and winter cold, and a bit of snow when on offer

Hopefully the clearance has arrived now but it’s certainly been a wet afternoon, probably the wettest day here since last winter and the little brook just past the bottom of our garden has gone from been as low as I’ve ever seen it yesterday to this now.02C71C0B-7206-4477-AFED-363ABECEA448.thumb.jpeg.3543712f8a3c3bd38d363e1e86638653.jpeg

• Like 8

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: All
Just now, iand61 said:

Hopefully the clearance has arrived now but it’s certainly been a wet afternoon, probably the wettest day here since last winter and the little brook just past the bottom of our garden has gone from been as low as I’ve ever seen it yesterday to this now.02C71C0B-7206-4477-AFED-363ABECEA448.thumb.jpeg.3543712f8a3c3bd38d363e1e86638653.jpeg

Makes me think of Charlie and the Chocolate Factory 🤣

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - snow, Irish sea convection. Summer - thunderstorms, hot sunny days

It's been around 12°C all day but now is 15.0°C behind the clearance. We really have not been spared at all with the rain today, 30.3 mm has fallen.

window of opportunity next few hours for heavy thundery hail showers but not looking brilliant so far.

• Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - snow, Irish sea convection. Summer - thunderstorms, hot sunny days

Blackpool airport now reporting cumulonimbus which is promising

• Like 6

Posted

No pronounced squall-line on the back of the front which was a bit of a shame although the forecast windspeeds were near enough spot-on at a max gust of 44mph recorded in Buxton during the late afternoon, it's quiet outside under the fading light with a few good opportunities for some star-trail snaps later on around the midnight hours.

• Like 9

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: All weather

A quiet clear evening as usual 

• Like 6

Posted

Pinch, punch first of the month.  Hello October.  October to me means proper Autumn, when the trees finally shed their leaves and the daytime air has that sniff of damp wood and stale vegetation, the really earthy smell.  Evenings you get that whiff of smoke in the chilly air.  Halloween comes and goes and we hear first fireworks being set off.  10° through the night, with a dip to 9° just before sunrise.  Bit of a pink sky again, overcast but it is dry.  Bring on the sharp crispy frosty mornings, I'm limbering up now for marathon lamp post watching, and that first flake of snow.

• Like 8

Posted
28 minutes ago, Rush2112 said:

Pinch, punch first of the month.  Hello October.  October to me means proper Autumn, when the trees finally shed their leaves and the daytime air has that sniff of damp wood and stale vegetation, the really earthy smell.  Evenings you get that whiff of smoke in the chilly air.  Halloween comes and goes and we hear first fireworks being set off.  10° through the night, with a dip to 9° just before sunrise.  Bit of a pink sky again, overcast but it is dry.  Bring on the sharp crispy frosty mornings, I'm limbering up now for marathon lamp post watching, and that first flake of snow.

Agree with all of the above although fireworks are a 12 months of the year event around these parts now and a 10 minute display seems to have replaced raising a glass to someone who has died.

as for the weather, frequent but short lasting heavy showers seems to be the theme here this morning although the forecast is for something a bit drier into the afternoon.

a quick brew for me then time to look at the gutter that overflowed and deposited most of its water inside the conservatory yesterday.

hopefully it just needs a clean out.

• Like 6

Posted

A lovely start to the day here and dry so far with very few clouds around at the moment. Showers staying well away from here so far. Not too bad a weekend coming up following the miserable weather yesterday. We may see very few showers today, here at least, and then dry tomorrow. Thanks to decidedly cool days and nights over the past week, the house has really cooled down and no longer warming in the daytime appreciably so we did finally put our heating on during this week.

• Like 5

Posted
1 hour ago, Rush2112 said:

Pinch, punch first of the month.  Hello October.  October to me means proper Autumn, when the trees finally shed their leaves and the daytime air has that sniff of damp wood and stale vegetation, the really earthy smell.  Evenings you get that whiff of smoke in the chilly air.  Halloween comes and goes and we hear first fireworks being set off.  10° through the night, with a dip to 9° just before sunrise.  Bit of a pink sky again, overcast but it is dry.  Bring on the sharp crispy frosty mornings, I'm limbering up now for marathon lamp post watching, and that first flake of snow

Unfortunately, they don't make lamp posts like they used to. All downward facing design now and not as good for snow watching at night as when I were a lad. 

• Like 7

Posted
15 hours ago, CreweCold said:

Had some torrential rain on the back edge of that front.

I think I must have missed it! Rained all afternoon as forecast but unaware of any torrential rain as the back edge moved through. If it was after 6pm, I wouldn't have been able to see any rain, torrential or otherwise, as I was inside a church all evening. 

Nice morning today so far and I may take a chance on putting out the washing, hoping that the forecast showers miss us.

• Like 4

Posted

Just in from doing mummy's shopping, beautiful blue sky and bright sunshine, careful if out driving, it's a Bobby dazzler, was blinded a few times.  Found a casualty in the garden from yesterdays wind..bee down.  One of my garden thermometers blew at least a foot away.  12° currently and no chilly wind.

Could contain:

• Like 7

Posted
1 hour ago, severe snowstorm said:

Unfortunately, they don't make lamp posts like they used to. All downward facing design now and not as good for snow watching at night as when I were a lad. 

I agree with you on that one, used to have an old orange glowing post, in a type of stone encasing until it got killed by a delivery van.  Street in darkness for weeks until it was replaced😁

• Like 7

Posted

Averaging out the figures from the two nearest EA rain gauges to here, a couple of miles either way gives me 36mm over the last 24 hours and with most of it falling in just a few hours yesterday afternoon, it’s no wonder my conservatory water feature switched itself on for the first time in a couple of years.

• Like 9

Posted
3 hours ago, Rush2112 said:

Indeedlydoodly pinch punch first of the month… do like October and Autumn 🍂 🎃 

turned all the calendars and retrieved our mini greenhouse which blew across the garden yesterday afternoon… managed 32mm yesterday and 102mm for September… 

Off to Mossley to visit a tenant and pop into a friends… then making roast chicken 🐓 and corn on cob 🌽 Some showers about but warm feel in sunshine ☀️ 

• Like 6

Posted

Nice wet day yesterday, should top up the local Ressie's.  Showers making more of a bee-line for my locality with a more direct westerly influence.  Less Cheshire gap, more M62 corridor.

• Like 7