Thunder?
Local
Radar
Hot?
IGNORED

Spring and Summer weather moans

1 hour ago, stainesbloke said:

It might do, when weather that people hate is actually occurring Maybe I’ve misunderstood the reason for this thread, though.  

I think weathers forums attract the less than normal in society (me included, and no offence meant, purely an observation) hence we sometimes get perspectives that doesn’t conform with what would be the general consensus of the population would be. ie My favourite weather type is 8C and drizzling even through summer or I’d be quite happy living in Death Valley and running a marathon at midday everyday. 

I suspect if you asked ten million people what weather they’d prefer 24-30C most of summer and mild and dry through winter, maybe with the exception of snow at Xmas, which of course never happens.

Posted
29 minutes ago, Alderc said:

I suspect if you asked ten million people what weather they’d prefer 24-30C most of summer and mild and dry through winter, maybe with the exception of snow at Xmas, which of course never happens.

Agree with most of this but I think most people in the UK would prefer summer temps slightly lower than that- again this is a weather enthusiast forum so people tend to like the extremes more than people in the general population.

I reckon the summer temp preference for the average person would be 23-28C, as many people start complaining once it goes above the mid 20s. Especially if they're working and have no access to air conditioning.

Many people also become weary of heat if it's prolonged, given this country isn't well adapted to it.

I think the holiday abroad preference would be higher though and probably in the 27-32C range when people have access to a pool, the beach and air conditioning.

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Basically intresting weather,cold,windy you name it
59 minutes ago, Alderc said:

I think weathers forums attract the less than normal in society (me included, and no offence meant, purely an observation) hence we sometimes get perspectives that doesn’t conform with what would be the general consensus of the population would be. ie My favourite weather type is 8C and drizzling even through summer or I’d be quite happy living in Death Valley and running a marathon at midday everyday. 

I think you have nailed it on the head there, that makes a lot of sense, less than normal? I suspect i fit that description perfectly!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Temperatures ≤25ºC ≥10ºC.

I agree too.

Something i've noticed at work is that quite a few colleagues will look forward to a hot summer heatwave with alot of enthusiasm and big it up, etc. Only when it turns up, they start moaning it's too hot to work outside! There's also customers which have lovely working air con that they never use or set correctly and still moan that it's too hot....

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snowy winters,warm summers and Storms

For me I love the heat in summer which is why a trip every year to the Greek islands is a must love nothing more than exploring the islands and spending lazy days by the pool with a cold drink on the flip side a love winter not so much in the UK anymore as here it's usually mild and wet but again a trip into the French Alps to get my snow fix usually does the trick all about extremes in the UK climate unfortunately most folk are either looking for extreme heat or extreme cold which very rarely happens in the UK.

• Like 1

Posted
4 hours ago, Alderc said:

Seems like the rains made its way south more a bit more intact than expected to ruin the day even more

4368EB47-5A27-4D39-8AFA-6E4152A72EB5.thumb.jpeg.8ad7b4805e4d18e63f2d4eeb3e83b9e2.jpeg

I'm away in the South-west for the weekend and it has rained since 3am, sometimes really heavily. The Meteo (for BBC) forecasters got this very wrong. It hasn't "fragmented into light showery rain" at all. 

1337556171_Screenshot2022-05-01at10_09_34.thumb.png.e8c957008b340baa5135ee9a663555d1.png70596068_Screenshot2022-05-01at11_46_11.thumb.png.eb3548263eb769e13cc48eb57dce9c97.png

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm-by-day sunny thundery summers , short cold snowy winters.

New month, new (poor) weather sadly. These conditions would not be out of place on November 1. At least it won't get dark by 5pm, assuming it doesn't deteriorate into a day-darkness event.

I agree the poorness of today has been downplayed quite a bit, particularly in the south, the message coming through around Friday was "a bit mixed, maybe a few showers, but basically OK" for the weekend. Today is the poorest day by far since April 12th.

Edited by Summer8906
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm-by-day sunny thundery summers , short cold snowy winters.
1 hour ago, Scorcher said:

Agree with most of this but I think most people in the UK would prefer summer temps slightly lower than that- again this is a weather enthusiast forum so people tend to like the extremes more than people in the general population.

I reckon the summer temp preference for the average person would be 23-28C, as many people start complaining once it goes above the mid 20s. Especially if they're working and have no access to air conditioning.

Many people also become weary of heat if it's prolonged, given this country isn't well adapted to it.

I think the holiday abroad preference would be higher though and probably in the 27-32C range when people have access to a pool, the beach and air conditioning.

While I like warm sunny weather I would say it gets uncomfortable when it gets above 30, say 31, 32 etc, I would say about 21-29C for mid summer. Above that it can be oppressive in the humid UK heat (though in drier climates it can get into the thirties and still feel comfortable). On the other hand below 21 in mid-summer - July and August - is uncomfortably cool for the season.

That said, I'm not so fussed about temperature in spring or early summer, up to about mid June. Happy just to see the sun and relatively settled weather right now; in fact I'd prefer somewhat cooler than average weather for the next few weeks to avoid nature prematurely progressing to that rather jaded late-summer look before time.

Edited by Summer8906
  • Like 1

Posted

Turned out better than expected here in Peterborough few light spots of rain mild and bright feels quite warm when sun breaks through

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...
2 hours ago, Alderc said:

As an aspie, I tend to agree. And, anyway, talking incessantly about the weather is one of our more well-known 'attributes'!

Posted

True to form. After ages of high pressure domination, a low pressure system appears from nowhere, slap bang in the middle of a bank holiday weekend. Dives down loads further south. Produces loads more rain than predicted. The centre of the low appears to be slap bang over Wolverhampton/ Dudley and has seen heavy rain for the last hour or so. And it's cold.☹

Posted

Whereas here we desperately need the rain and only got 0.4mm overnight from this system.  8.8mm in nearly 7 weeks. Nothings really growing and the farmers field opposite has cracks big enough to fit your hand in!

Posted

Optimum scenario for me is high pressure direct overhead maxima 23-25 degrees any point mid May to mid June, after then such synoptics tend to bring high 20s maxima or more.. this is from a Lake District perspective. In some years such synoptics at the time of year mentioned brings best weather of the year here.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold snowy and frosty

Have to say today has seen a lovely dose of heavy steady rain, just what the gardens needed.  Hopefully I will be able to get the first dig of the garden beds done over the next couple of days.  

While not heavy rain todays turned into a washout. 8hrs straight rain, that defo wasn’t the forecast last. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot n cold
43 minutes ago, Snowycat said:

Have to say today has seen a lovely dose of heavy steady rain, just what the gardens needed.  Hopefully I will be able to get the first dig of the garden beds done over the next couple of days.  

Had hardly anything. just spits n spots in Brum

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, Wind, Sunny, Warm, Thunderstorms, Snow

It was steadily raining for 11 hours in Devon but the greenery needs it and improving as the week goes on so no complaints from me ☀️ 

• Like 2

Posted

Probably had a good 20 hours of rain here, nothing especially heavy, but continuous which counts and with cool temps, not much evaporation. Great growing weather, a bit of sun and watch the grass, flowers, leaves and weeds burst int glory!

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines
12 hours ago, Alderc said:

I’d agree with that, am not that normal myself so get what you’re saying. It’s great to have somewhere like this to chat about the weather, especially as few friends and family are interested in it. I do struggle to understand though when people moan about summer warmth in winter or when it’s nowhere near happening. It would be like people moaning about winter cold and snow in summer, when it’s many months away from actually happening too. That’s not to say people are wrong to hate heat or cold, or any extreme really. It’s a forum for weather enthusiasts but that doesn’t mean everyone likes the same things, which I don’t have any issue with. 

• Like 2