Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Spring and Summer weather moans

Posted
58 minutes ago, markyo said:

Well some of us don't live in London! Just saying how i and another engineer i was with found it thats all. We are all different remember, your cold weather would probably be a nice day further North, why the Oh come on?

You apparently work in a “steam room” and yet you find this not particularly warm weather uncomfortable. I find that strange surely you would have acclimated to heat and humidity….

Edited by Daniel*
  • Like 1

Posted
45 minutes ago, I remember Atlantic 252 said:

aye Donald! was having lunch outside, chocolate bar started to melt in the sun, another 5 minutes or so, would start running away! weird as didn't feel that hot

The fierce June sun for you!  After a reasonable day, it turned wet this evening.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!

Another GFS to show very cool from around 20th, nights especially could be colder than the usual SW'lys in winter

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Clear blue skies!

I do start to wonder if we will ever get a long duration of high pressure. Every time this year that high pressure has appeared on the models, literally a day or 2 later its replaced with ugly low pressure lol. Could be an amazing year for cold damp and grey weather lovers this year lol. Wish I realised earlier that my passport had expired, I would have booked many short holidays away from cloud magnet UK.

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, I remember Atlantic 252 said:

Another GFS to show very cool from around 20th, nights especially could be colder than the usual SW'lys in winter

It’s pretty unsettled and quite wet the only crum of comfortable is that post day ten there’s almost a 20C spread on the 850s so I guess anything is possible. But to be fair the Ops run has been consistently unsettled the last 3 or 4 times.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Basically intresting weather,cold,windy you name it
10 hours ago, Daniel* said:

You apparently work in a “steam room” and yet you find this not particularly warm weather uncomfortable. I find that strange surely you would have acclimated to heat and humidity….

After 3 hrs in a comfy aircon car getting out on site in central London was a humid affair! We feel it more when leaving a site though, cooling down takes longer the warmer the ambient is. Trust me a few times odd noises can be heard as we get back into a car and whack the aircon onto max!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Seasonal Disparity: Cold and Snowy Winters, Sunny and Warm Summers.
11 hours ago, Summer8906 said:

Other climates might get a higher volume of rain, but it all falls in fewer, more intense episodes. And having visited S Germany a few times and noting the vivid green of the summer landscape, I can tell you it's no arid desert - yet also gets a better climate than NW Europe.

Other European countries may get higher rainfall but the cloud cover is definitely less. I would say the only places that are comparable to us in terms of cloud, drizzle and generally cool temps lacking in sun in the summer are The Netherlands (at a push), Southern Norway, parts of New Foundland & Labrador, and parts of Belgium (I'm excluding places with worse climates for summer e.g. Iceland and Faroe Islands). Sweden for example has us solidly beat for sunshine hours. They might not get particularly hot summer temps but they much more regularly get clear sunny days of 18-20c which in my book you cannot complain about!

I have some friends in the Baltics from university (Latvia and Lithuania) and one thing they always used to tell me whilst living in England is how gloomy the summers are here compared to back home. The Baltics do pretty well for sunshine hours in the summer months

• Like 2

Posted

I'm so bored lol. I struggle to recall a more boring stretch of weather - basically nothing of interest since September 2021 (minus the thunderstorm a couple weeks ago).

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Clear blue skies!
55 minutes ago, Azazel said:

I'm so bored lol. I struggle to recall a more boring stretch of weather - basically nothing of interest since September 2021 (minus the thunderstorm a couple weeks ago).

March 2022 was brilliant for sunshine in the 2nd half and April was OK for the most part but yeah, could definitely do with a few long runs of settled sunny weather. It's so sporadic lately that it's a miracle to get 2 sunny days in a row lol.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer > Spring > Winter > Autumn :-)

Any other hayfever sufferers finding today is off the scale bad?

I took my usual nasal spray and anti-histamine tablet when I got up at 6am. By 7am when I was at work I had to blow my nose about 6 times, and my eyes were itchy beyond belief. My nose/sinuses also feel really inflamed today. It's noticeably a lot worse than recently.

Posted
6 minutes ago, mb018538 said:

I took my usual nasal spray and anti-histamine tablet when I got up at 6am. By 7am when I was at work I had to blow my nose about 6 times, and my eyes were itchy beyond belief. My nose/sinuses also feel really inflamed today. It's noticeably a lot worse than recently.

Sounds horrible - and I would normally be suffering really badly - but since having covid, my hayfever appears to have vanished which is very spooky.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot
14 hours ago, Daniel* said:

Oh come on 20-21C is average for London in June. I think it is quite pleasant there has been more humid days lately in high teens.

Yeah at least we're at a time of year now where you only need high teens temps with light winds and high dew points, and it feels really pleasant in the sun. This week is turning out much nicer than I feared.

It certainly is a boring spell of weather though, but summer is typically the most boring season weather-wise IMO.

Edited by Nick L

Posted

A couple of weeks until the solstice - and my allotment is really suffering, there hasn't been any prolonged sunny, warm spells to kick off the growth in the plants. In fact some have started to rot owning to the cool days and heavy, frequent showers.

...and STILL we've all got dreadful hayfever!!

Edited by Team Squirrel

Posted
1 hour ago, mb018538 said:

A friend of mine deliberately (occassionally) stings himself with nettles on his arm or hand, and he's reckons his hay-fever has completely disappeared - apparently, nettles are a natural anti-histimine.

I laughed when he told me, but he swears by it and no longer uses sprays or tablets. Might be worth giving it a go as crazy as it sounds!

Edited by Arch Stanton
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heat, sun and thunderstorms in summer. Cold sunny days and snow in winter

Temperature wise it isn't looking too bad for the foreseeable, and better than what was initially forecast. A bit boring though, as there isn't anything happening and we could also do with some more sun as others on here have pointed out.

Still not giving on summer just yet mind. Nobody knows how it's going to pan out. Could be another 2012, another 2018 or something inbetween. 

In regards to hayfever, whilst I still get the odd sniffle here and there it has more or less vanished a couple of years ago when Covid came along. Weird.

Edited by Weather Enthusiast91
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer > Spring > Winter > Autumn :-)

Strange that some of you have had Covid and now seems to have lost hayfever symptoms. I had covid over the new year, and most certainly haven't felt any hayfever benefits! It's my least favourite bit of the summer. All the medication I take has little effect on relieving my symptoms. Tried my wife's stronger prescription Fexofenadine (Telfast) hayfever pills for a month to see if they gave any better results than cetirizine/loratadine, but no joy. Probably Immunotherpay would be my best bet, but impossible to get this on the NHS at the moment!

Posted
4 hours ago, mb018538 said:

Yes, I was sneezing like crazy earlier and although I've stopped sneezing having taken an anti-histamine tablet, I'm still sniffly!

Posted
6 hours ago, SunSean said:

I do start to wonder if we will ever get a long duration of high pressure. Every time this year that high pressure has appeared on the models, literally a day or 2 later its replaced with ugly low pressure lol. Could be an amazing year for cold damp and grey weather lovers this year lol. Wish I realised earlier that my passport had expired, I would have booked many short holidays away from cloud magnet UK.

Get it in. Need to update mine too and keep putting it off!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, frost and snow
6 hours ago, SunSean said:

We did in January, which basically killed winter for most of us cold lovers.

I guess things equal out, but we've just drawn the short straw on both occasions. The azores high wouldn't bugger off in winter, now it doesn't want to show it's hand in summer. So it ultimately killed winter, and now it's killing summer (thus far). You couldn't make it up

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Heat, Thunderstorms, Wind
41 minutes ago, mb018538 said:

Strange that some of you have had Covid and now seems to have lost hayfever symptoms. I had covid over the new year, and most certainly haven't felt any hayfever benefits! It's my least favourite bit of the summer. All the medication I take has little effect on relieving my symptoms. Tried my wife's stronger prescription Fexofenadine (Telfast) hayfever pills for a month to see if they gave any better results than cetirizine/loratadine, but no joy. Probably Immunotherpay would be my best bet, but impossible to get this on the NHS at the moment!

I had the immunotherapy specifically for grass pollen about 5 years ago, I would definitely recommend it. Even with antihistamines and eyedrops it was torture before, but nowadays an antihistamine is good enough and stops basically all symptoms.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm-by-day sunny thundery summers , short cold snowy winters.
4 hours ago, Nick L said:

Yeah at least we're at a time of year now where you only need high teens temps with light winds and high dew points, and it feels really pleasant in the sun. This week is turning out much nicer than I feared.

It certainly is a boring spell of weather though, but summer is typically the most boring season weather-wise IMO.

Though perhaps it "ought" to be the most interesting as the temps are highest so more chance of sunny warm days and dramatic thunderstorms. Sadly the synoptics rarely deliver in that respect...

I'd probably rate spring as the most interesting in the UK, but it would be summer in more continental climates such as that of Central Europe or the NE USA.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.
6 minutes ago, Summer8906 said:

Though perhaps it "ought" to be the most interesting as the temps are highest so more chance of sunny warm days and dramatic thunderstorms. Sadly the synoptics rarely deliver in that respect...

I'd probably rate spring as the most interesting in the UK, but it would be summer in more continental climates such as that of Central Europe or the NE USA.

Yeah summer is definitely NOT the most boring season lol! That gift would have to go to autumn by a long way. Rarely warm enough to be summery beyond mid September and rarely cold enough for wintry conditions until after mid-late November.

Thankfully nature puts on a nice show to compensate for the boring weather.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Posted

I sympathise with hayfever sufferers.  It starts for me in February when the tree pollen begins. And I suffer all through to about mid July when grass pollen ends. June is the worst. Peak grass pollen time.  I spray Beconase up my nostrils every day and put eye drops in my eyes. I don't suffer like i used to as a kid but it's there every year. The one good thing about autumn/winter for me is i'm allergy free. Although even then if dust flies up from the hoover or that dusty stuff comes off nettles it can set me off.  I'm really fed up now with thd constant cool. I need warmth. 25c +. Please. Still not had the old shorts on since last September!