Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Spring and Summer weather moans

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

Currently it's 25C with wall-2-wall sunshine, and it looks like being a race between Cambridge, Heathrow and Northolt for who wins this summer's very first Climate Change Deniers' Aneurism of the Week Award!

Edited by Ed Stone
  • Like 1

Posted
7 minutes ago, Alderc said:

Here comes the midday high cloud on satellite. 

A band of it is now clearing from this area, it was very thin, lovely halo round the sun and no perceptible relief from the very warm conditions. I've no doubt the sun will feel very fierce here in the next few minutes, as the edge of the band appears to be passing us. I think this band is the one you are referring to, just checked it out on the met office satellite.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, richie3846 said:

A band of it is now clearing from this area, it was very thin, lovely halo round the sun and no perceptible relief from the very warm conditions. I've no doubt the sun will feel very fierce here in the next few minutes, as the edge of the band appears to be passing us. I think this band is the one you are referring to, just checked it out on the met office satellite.

Might have temporarily cleared but much thicker stuff quickly heading in from the west! 

72C0D582-48B0-4D75-90AD-834ED0F84D92.thumb.jpeg.8a4ecf4185b900aeec6b6dce19183684.jpeg

Posted
44 minutes ago, Alderc said:

Might have temporarily cleared but much thicker stuff quickly heading in from the west! 

72C0D582-48B0-4D75-90AD-834ED0F84D92.thumb.jpeg.8a4ecf4185b900aeec6b6dce19183684.jpeg

Seems to be thinning as it comes across! We had similar yesterday but it didn't really impact the day very much. Local weather station pulled in 14.4 hours of sun. As long as that thick crud stays over Cornwall you'll be ok!

Posted

That bit of Midlands cloud has cleared and it's back to mostly sunny and a bit hazy. We have our first 25C of the year and with a light breeze it's pretty much perfect.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!
3 hours ago, mountain shadow said:

Another rank cloudy and damp day across the Irish sea.

High cloud from that front extends down to here

Posted

Marvellous day. At last.  It was even warm in the shade which is a sure sign it is properly warm. First 25c of the year. Second tomorrow and many more to come in July August September. I'll be leaving work at 3pm tomorrow and straight to the pub beer garden to lap up the heat with a cold beer. 

• Like 3

Posted
4 minutes ago, NEVES SCREAMER said:

Marvellous day. At last.  It was even warm in the shade which is a sure sign it is properly warm. First 25c of the year. Second tomorrow and many more to come in July August September. I'll be leaving work at 3pm tomorrow and straight to the pub beer garden to lap up the heat with a cold beer. 

Go for it 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything non-disruptive, and some variety
On 15/06/2022 at 02:29, East Lancs Rain said:

Weather forecast isn’t too bad for Breamar btw. Only one rainy day (Friday) and a nice sunny (although rather cool) weekend.

Have a feeling it’s gonna be another bad summer in the south again.

C8DB3571-A4C4-43E7-AFE4-15E632443D06.png

An overcast start today, then when I decided to climb the local tourist hill (Morrone), the heavens opened when I was a third of the way up and I got soaking wet (I couldn't be bothered to put the waterproof trousers on because I thought initially it was another short lived light shower, and putting waterproofs on in 17C temperatures means substituting getting wet from the rain to getting wet from your perspiration). Glad I didn't attempt the glen Ey munros.  Friday I am driving home so don't care about the expected poor weather. Of course the weather will improve when I am back home, it is like SE England and rain on the weekends whilst the weekdays are warm and sunny.

Has the weather over the last week whilst I have been on holiday been bad? I keep hearing it has been 30+C down there over the last 2-3 days, which is bad if you don't like hot weather, but depending on your physical activity*, a good alternative to semi-permanent clag, temperatures on the cool side, and an annoying fresh breeze.

*If I have digging/weeding to do on my allotment, I would prefer 18C and cloudy to 30C and sunny, but the latter is preferable if I'm doing a low intensity walk in the country.

Edited by al78

Posted
23 hours ago, MP-R said:

Cold synoptics yes... cold temperatures no. There lies the issue. A warm 850hpa UK high pressure in January still trumps a late March northerly in pretty much all instances for day and night temps.

What is the definition of cold in this context? We still get frosts in winter and almost everyone has to use heating in their homes and wear a coat when outside, so in that sense the winter temperatures are cold, and part of the cost of living crisis is the soaring fuel costs, some of which is used to heat our homes in winter. They are not cold compared to most other countries at our latitude.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Storms, and plenty of warm sunny days!

Just looked at the radar and Scotland getting a bit of a soaking tonight, no mention on the threads? Anybody would think it is going to be a tad warm 'darn sarf' tomorrow

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.
1 hour ago, al78 said:

What is the definition of cold in this context? 

The number of degrees on the thermometer.

• Like 1

Posted
1 hour ago, Wold Topper said:

Just looked at the radar and Scotland getting a bit of a soaking tonight, no mention on the threads? Anybody would think it is going to be a tad warm 'darn sarf' tomorrow

Absolutely delighted with this evenings rain as the strong winds of the last ten days had really put all crops under pressure. Took a run this afternoon  for cattle minerals in Elgin  down past some of the farms nearest the coast here on sandy soils and yellowing short crops very common. Here a bit higher up we are cooler and have heavier more moisture retentive soils but rain will still be very welcome

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Not too hot, not too cold
6 hours ago, NEVES SCREAMER said:

How can you possibly know that? Unless you have a crystal ball It could be a deluge the rest of the summer for all we know...

Pleasant day here. Was mostly cloudy with light winds and reached about 22°C. Felt warm but not excessively so, quite pleasant really.

Very warm tonight under the cloud, still 18°C according to my phone, at the same time last night it was only 11°C under clear skies.

Posted

Nice warm day coming up, hopefully it's a sign of things to come, would be nice to get some hot weather this summer. 

• Like 2

Posted
7 hours ago, MP-R said:

The number of degrees on the thermometer.

That is a non answer. What counts as cold is typically defined by a range of temperatures, hence why I said "in this context".

If you were trying to be funny with that response, you failed.

Posted

Another dreadful Autumn day over here. Currently 14C, drizzle and 100% cloud cover. Miserable.

2 hours ago, RJBingham said:

Nice warm day coming up, hopefully it's a sign of things to come, would be nice to get some hot weather this summer. 

The models hint at winds from the North, North West and West for the foreseeable, so not hot weather for the next three weeks I wouldn't think. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1