Local
Radar
Hot?
IGNORED

Storms and Convective discussion - 1st May 2022 onwards

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Plumes and streamers
21 minutes ago, Supacell said:

Decided not to bother last night and stayed home. Tonight is looking more promising. Yesterday I had thought of heading to the south coast tonight but I believe that I would be best to head south but not that far. I don't want to end up to the south of where the storms fire. Thunderstorms will probably become a mass of thundery rain as they spread north into the Midlands and East Anglia and so I don't want to be too far north either. Current charts would suggest I want to probably position on the M1 somewhere near Bedford/Luton by evening and see what develops.

Sounds like you're in for a very stressful day models seems to be at odds as to the exact evolution and it could be that the very south coast get the brunt, or as you say it initiates over landmass and London / M4 see the best show.

M1 sounds a little too far north, I would posit Richmond Hill as a good spot this evening - wondering whether to venture too far myself but we have a great vista at two points near the A3 about 15 mins from here, or there’s a good spot at Loseley Park I often use with a cracking expanse of open sky down to the SE towards Gatwick.

Rain will be an issue tonight as will gusty winds, but it all sounds much better than the other week where the storms were far to fast moving and the strong breeze meant it was a struggle to get any footage from the direction the storms were coming in from.

I’m a little more optimistic about tonight now - despite the lack of a UKWW forecast and a poor showing on Ventusky for overnight - but I’m still a little worried the channel is going to “drain the battery” before we get to see anything significant

Edited by Flash bang flash bang etc
  • Like 2

Posted

Not sure if I will get anything maybe a few crumbs but I would still take that. Could be a wait and see to see where everything starts to fire up,hopefully 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything unusual

After yesterday's damp squib, I am expecting just heavy rain this evening and overnight, with a few distant rumbles mixed in, maybe.....

Feels quite sticky outside when the sun is out and the wind isn't blowing 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms

@Flash bang flash bang etc

I probably should have made it clearer. Will be aiming for Luton area as a rendezvous point for waiting to see what transpires, not a final destination. The idea is it will take me 100 miles closer to any action, and so I can be on it quicker. Although if it is a south coast event I will likely not get there in time. Hopefully things become clearer by the evening.

• Like 2

Posted

Sustained heavy rain and rumbles of thunder every few mins in Kingsbridge. Holidaymakers sheltering away!

Another loud boom of thunder as I type...

You would imagine there's some localised flooding in and around KB and Salcombe.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Lightning, lightning and erm thunder

Sitting here in bexhill, expecting a wave of storms initiating in France to creep close enough to just about see and then die, followed by storms that either initiate in the channel see Beachy head and blibble off north or storms that initiate just north of bexhill and are out of sight. 

here’s hoping I’m wrong 

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, T Storms.
3 hours ago, Lance M said:

Sounds like it might miss me and be in France and then inland, but we'll see, I hope for early initiation obviously once in the channel just of shore this evening.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storm, drizzle
Just now, alexisj9 said:

Sounds like it might miss me and be in France and then inland, but we'll see, I hope for early initiation obviously once in the channel just of shore this evening.

Yes, be interesting to see more expert analysis of the fronts and bits and bobs when it gets nearer to the time, should get an area of initiation come up and rough timing of it rather than relying on Models.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms/squalls/hoar-frost/mist

Probably won't have to water the garden for a couple of days, dam gastropods love it though. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spanish plumes & stormy winters. Facebook @ Lance's Lightning Shots

Some nice Ac Cas etc amongst the decaying remains of this morning's Cherbourg storms, as it drifts over here. A nice clearing showing behind it on the satellite, so I'd imagine I'll be treated to some lovely thundery skies this afternoon with further pockets of Ac Cas and the like.

• Like 6

Posted
  • Location: Saltdean,Nr Brighton,East Sussex,Hither Green,SE London.
9 minutes ago, alexisj9 said:

Trying to be positive as the feel of it out there now in humid sunshine does feel ripe.

Was a little puzzled at the warnings in the previous 24hrs as could never really see it myself given the dross beforehand ( low level cloud and patchy rain) and lack of trigger.

The dynamics on offer tonight appear much more promising.

However,the negative itch agrees.

I see big French storms getting to the Channel Isles,fading over the channel allowing some light showers to arrive on the South Coast and then exploding back to life North of Gatwick!

Distant lighning seen to my South and North kind of affair.

Prove me wrong Weather Gods!

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunderstorms, anything interesting

Going to Bedford tonight to visit some family for a birthday and staying overnight, would it be worth bringing the camera gear?

• Like 1

Posted

Picking apart the wording of the latest M.O forecast doesn't fill a coast dweller like me with too much optimism ( although you can overthink these things!)

'Thunderstorms will develop OVER England' 

This suggests channel development or imports might be off the agenda.

As I live a mile from the seafront it could be a tight squeeze to fit in with that narrative

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, T Storms.
4 minutes ago, Mapantz said:

viewimage.thumb.png.93c0a6fb6d4a3870009529e6a710eb87.png

Does that stuff south of the main line come north, or swerve and go to the North sea and Benelux.

5 minutes ago, sunnijim said:

Picking apart the wording of the latest M.O forecast doesn't fill a coast dweller like me with too much optimism ( although you can overthink these things!)

'Thunderstorms will develop OVER England' 

This suggests channel development or imports might be off the agenda.

As I live a mile from the seafront it could be a tight squeeze to fit in with that narrative

Same.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms

At the Kent coast today. The day has been a bit reminiscent of chasing in the plains. Thick low cloud and dampness this morning, now sunnier skies but a screaming wind.

I don’t have any firm views about how it’ll pan out but looking forward to radar watching tonight

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warehamwx.co.uk
1 minute ago, alexisj9 said:

Does that stuff south of the main line come north, or swerve and go to the North sea and Benelux.

Neither really. A  few showers develop across the south coast - Dorset and eastwards. As destabilisation occurs, thunderstorms break out across the Midland's before turning in to a large mass of heavy rain. All about timing though, so it's just a radar watch imo.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Wake me up when the storms arrive

While the mid/upper layers of air progress very slowly northwards, we have a strong, gusty low level wind pouring across Surrey from the north-east. 

Interesting to watch.

Visions of nice rotating supercells and tornados spring to mind for later on.   However, this is the UK...   (Oh no! A plastic garden chair just blew over...!!!  )

Edited by StormLoser
  • Like 3

Posted

Dull here this morning currently sunny with a breeze is it sposed to get humid later ?  Is the centre of the low moving W-E ?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storm, drizzle

Feels oddly like watching a Reed Timmer stream here, hopefully this is how homegrown French imports feel like because that's essentially what today is.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Supercells
2 minutes ago, Eagle Eye said:

Feels oddly like watching a Reed Timmer stream here, hopefully this is how homegrown French imports feel like because that's essentially what today is.

Bada bada bee bop da bop da bop! 

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...
3 minutes ago, samadamsuk said:

Bada bada bee bop da bop da bop! 

showaddywaddy!

• Like 2