Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Summer 2022 Chat

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy November to March and Sunny and warm April to October
26 minutes ago, hotsummer said:

Yeah, so it seems for the ‘peak’ the higher temps have edged just that bit north on a few runs I thought. Going further now. Local records defo under threat, national perhaps and that’ll be outside SE. 

It seems that for one of the more ‘extreme’ spells we see the highest outside the SE. Surely that in itself is quite a feat. 

All this aside. We’d likely have been happy with beyond that as so far it seems very good indeed. But I know that things can go ‘wrong’ this far out. 

I'd be really happy if the north got the highest temps for once rather than us SEners- Give it to Edinburgh or the Geordies for a change. It's like in those elusive winters when us snow starved low lying NW Kent folks get a rare snow event that misses the north only in reverse season/weather extreme. Ironically the only 2 snowfalls I saw last winter were on hols in the Scottish Highlands least I got my snow fix  

• Like 2

Posted

Just flown back from Porto, Portugal, having had 10 days with family. All I can say is if we end up getting the air thats currently over there then there will be big problems here. Today the humidity combined with the 35+c temps made it borderline unbearable. The last three nights I've not been able to sleep until around 4am as temps have been so high. 

With the current model runs predicting similar levels of heat incoming to the UK I think there should be some consideration as to the impacts on people and their health rather than willing for records to be broken. 

• Like 1

Whether its 30, 33 or 38 it's very hot, and most of us don't have aircon here either. I went through 40 degrees  plus when I was in Sydney back in the 90s and it was utter misery being outside- and I like hot weather

• Like 3

Posted
9 minutes ago, pinball wizard said:

With the current model runs predicting similar levels of heat incoming to the UK I think there should be some consideration as to the impacts on people and their health rather than willing for records to be broken. 

The government and Met Office will do that. This is a weather forum so people will undoubtedly be interested in extreme weather. "Willing" something to happen won't change the outcome anyway!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warehamwx.co.uk
8 minutes ago, pinball wizard said:

I think there should be some consideration as to the impacts on people and their health rather than willing for records to be broken. 

I've considered it, and  I quickly came to the conclusion that I cannot control the weather. I would like to see 40°C breached in my lifetime.

• Like 1

Posted
1 minute ago, Mapantz said:

I've considered it, and  I quickly came to the conclusion that I cannot control the weather. I would like to see 40°C breached in my lifetime.

Each to their own

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: cold and snowy. Summer: hot and sunny
4 hours ago, swanseajack23 said:

Rained for about 40 mins here, but nothing major. Probably fizzle out once it pushes eastwards

Yep some of it came over here, rained briefly for about 5mins then stopped. Very warm and muggy tonight. Still 26°c outside. 

Posted
1 hour ago, pinball wizard said:

Just flown back from Porto, Portugal, having had 10 days with family. All I can say is if we end up getting the air thats currently over there then there will be big problems here. Today the humidity combined with the 35+c temps made it borderline unbearable. The last three nights I've not been able to sleep until around 4am as temps have been so high. 

A colleague only mine had been in Porto for about a month until a few days ago. She said it warmed up nicely towards the end of her stay but for most of the time it was cool (low 20’s) and showery a lot of the time. I know Porto has a different climate to the Algarve, but the heat must have really picked up there in recent days. 

Posted
5 minutes ago, danm said:

A colleague only mine had been in Porto for about a month until a few days ago. She said it warmed up nicely towards the end of her stay but for most of the time it was cool (low 20’s) and showery a lot of the time. I know Porto has a different climate to the Algarve, but the heat must have really picked up there in recent days. 

It certainly has https://www.accuweather.com/en/pt/porto/275317/weather-forecast/275317

Posted

Here in Lincolnshire it’s been dry for several weeks now similar to 76, but as the heat ramps up the county is starting to suffer infrastructure issues. This is the latest from just down the road from me at RAF Cranwell.

fbimg.php?is_home=0&is_front_page=0&obje
T.CO

Flying training is not affected though

LO

Posted
48 minutes ago, pinball wizard said:

Looks to be about 33°c there, dropping to mid to high 20’s from Thursday. Is low 30’s exceptional for that part of Portugal?

Posted

The peak heat was originally Saturday then it was Sunday, then Monday and now Tuesday! It makes me wonder if it gets pushed back anymore will it ever arrive?

• Like 1

Posted
8 hours ago, TheOgre said:

The peak heat was originally Saturday then it was Sunday, then Monday and now Tuesday! It makes me wonder if it gets pushed back anymore will it ever arrive?

August 😀

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and dry, thunderstorms, mild temps (13-22°C).

Absolutely beautiful day today. Gin clear blue sky, but with seasonal cool average temps around 20 degrees. Quite a rare combination I find. It will be a fantastic day to go on some high intensity hill-climbing bicycling sessions later today! 

Posted

Very warm with sunny spells, currently 25°c. Expecting a high of 28/29°c today so a little cooler than recent days. 

Posted
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet

June update for teleconnective profile.. 

AMJ ONI was -1.0 (joint second coldest since 1950 with 1999 for June)

June MEI was -1.9 (lowest on record for June since at least 1979)

June PDO was -1.4 (lowest June since.. 2021 - First time since August we have not been more negative than the prior year)

June QBO was +0.0 (standardised - most positive since June 2020)

June AO was -0.0 (most negative June since 2020)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cool and quiet; snow can be nice too
14 hours ago, Mapantz said:

If it sparked action to slow down the impacts (by reducing emissions) and alleviate them (by improving infrastructure) then I would also like to see it happen.

I'll always be worried first about people in general and vulnerable people in particular but I can't lie and pretend I'm not interested in "numbers go brrr like they've never gone brrr before" either...

Edited by ShinyDave
Corrected formatting

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines

Warming up here in Prague after a rather chilly and cloudy week, currently 28°C.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

The Met Office has revised the chances of the UK breaking its temperature record down to 20%

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and dry, thunderstorms, mild temps (13-22°C).

This is the view down one of the steepest hills in Sheffield - a 20% gradient. Just went out and did a ton of hill-climb repeats on it on the bicycle. 23 degrees temperature, so not too bad, and I got my fastest ever average speed! Thought I'd share the view as it's such a lovely sunny day.

steephill.jpg

Edited by Thundershine
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer > Spring > Winter > Autumn :-)

Another glorious summers day. 27c with sunny skies and some patchy cloud floating around. The summer 2022 juggernaut rolls along here.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

The heatwave alert which was in place for parts of England until Friday has been cancelled early.

A new one will start from 9am on Saturday.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and Sunny, extremes either side (hot and cold), Thunder Storms

Currently 29C here in Eastbourne with partly cloudy/milky skies, perfect weather for relaxing in the garden.