Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Summer 2022 Chat

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warehamwx.co.uk

18Z UKV showing 29°C here tomorrow - I wonder if southern counties can escape the thicker cloud? Hope so!

2131634200_viewimagenc(1).thumb.png.a9ee0ff885a21186951f3cbaf6f48cec.png viewimagenc.thumb.png.57557da02dde4ec4b72a5d769f387a58.png

555665786_viewimagenc(2).thumb.png.ce6669a4bea1843bbac9a1cdca072642.png 351298236_viewimagenc(3).thumb.png.effb6a5339e58674334215a4724a87dd.png

Edited by Mapantz

7 minutes ago, qwertyK said:

Oh yeah sure but hot countries have things like ac. We don't. Though I don't get why things like train tracks go in our heat but seem to be fine in other countries 

Yes you would thought a 4 by 8 inch piece of super strong steel that’s cast at 1,200C and can support the weight of hundreds of tonnes at a 100mph wouldn’t warp in 35C, given that surprised they don’t fracture in winter under subzero temps.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny summers and snowy winters
1 minute ago, Alderc said:

Fair enough, don’t go to work and don’t get paid. Most peoples work places will be cooler than there homes anyway (yes apart from chefs, people working next to blast furnanes etc). You shut shops and other things down you have to close beaches and parks. Can’t swan of work with ‘it’s too hot’ to roll in the next day with a tan a stories of picnics, pimms and parties etc, which is exactly what would happen in MOST cases. 

This weekend will see millions out enjoying (and moaning about!) the sun/heat. If it's OK to stand outside drinking and eating at a BBQ, it's fine to go to work!!

2 minutes ago, CreweCold said:

I think it'll be too hot for most people to want to leave the house IMO.

Also working in heat and having to be productive is a hell of a lot different to being able to lounge around.

Guaranteed every beach and park is rammed Sunday. Remember at least 5million people every experience temps into the high 30s or low 40s on holiday (yes this is different) but I bet there are more people in the country that have experienced 100f than not. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms and other extremes
1 minute ago, username home said:

This weekend will see millions out enjoying (and moaning about!) the sun/heat. If it's OK to stand outside drinking and eating at a BBQ, it's fine to go to work!!

More to life than work buddy!

Nice to see Victorian work attitudes are still alive and well

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy November to March and Sunny and warm April to October
13 minutes ago, qwertyK said:

Oh yeah sure but hot countries have things like ac. We don't. Though I don't get why things like train tracks go in our heat but seem to be fine in other countries 

As an employee of the railway- its because most of the old routes we run train services are not powered by overhead electricity AC  like they are abroad around mainland Europe etc ours are old and built on old Victorian railways systems some of the oldest tracks in the world we have, dont forget it would take years to replace them and switch them over to overheads like the High speed trains run on for example so there wouldn't be any train services to main routes for a long time if they were to be replaced as they would have to be shut for years to switch over.  So we have to make do with DC 3rd rail electric powered trains unfortunately which need constant maintenance but if Grant Shapps and Co get there way we will be running unsafe train services and there will be much more cancellations and delays caused by cutting maintenance and safety aspects of Train operating companies! 

Edited by Kentspur
  • Like 4

Posted
8 minutes ago, Mapantz said:

18Z UKV showing 29°C here tomorrow - I wonder if southern counties can escape the thicker cloud? Hope so!

2131634200_viewimagenc(1).thumb.png.a9ee0ff885a21186951f3cbaf6f48cec.png viewimagenc.thumb.png.57557da02dde4ec4b72a5d769f387a58.png

555665786_viewimagenc(2).thumb.png.ce6669a4bea1843bbac9a1cdca072642.png 351298236_viewimagenc(3).thumb.png.effb6a5339e58674334215a4724a87dd.png

That colour scheme for the cloud cover chart has given me a headache.

• Like 1

I understand what @Alderc is saying about people who won't work in the extreme heat, or told not to work in it, could well go to the beach instead which defeats the purpose of staying safe in such temperatures.

Isn't it a question of liability though? Hypothetically, if Jim, 51 from Brighton, doesn't go into work because it is too hot and instead goes to the beach and sunbathes before getting heatstroke and exacerbating a known pre-existing heart condition... well surely it's his own fault for taking an unnecessary risk to his health.

If the same Jim instead has to go to work in the same conditions and suffers heatstroke and exacerbates his pre-existing heart condition... surely the company he works for would be liable for making him work in such extreme conditions in the first place?

Edited by Steel City Skies

Posted
11 minutes ago, Alderc said:

Guaranteed every beach and park is rammed Sunday. Remember at least 5million people every experience temps into the high 30s or low 40s on holiday (yes this is different) but I bet there are more people in the country that have experienced 100f than not. 

No doubt very true but the difference is when on holiday, people normally go back to airconditioned accommodation, which most won't be able to do here!  Also those who experience those temperatures on holiday, choose to visit those destinations where it is very hot and obviously enjoy the heat.  However, those who don't have no choice next weekend unless they can book a last minute break to the Shetlands!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warehamwx.co.uk

Interesting to see that my soil temp at 10cm has now crept above 25°C in mid-afternoon. I wonder how much further that will climb over the next 5 - 6 days?

1143041798_temp(1).thumb.png.f1f56076b6661316263dc8a5fac6d215.png

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and sun in winter; warm and bright otherwise; not a big storm fan
17 minutes ago, Kentspur said:

As an employee of the railway- its because most of the old routes we run train services are not powered by overhead electricity AC  like they are abroad around mainland Europe etc ours are old and built on old Victorian railways systems some of the oldest tracks in the world we have, dont forget it would take years to replace them and switch them over to overheads like the High speed trains run on for example so there wouldn't be any train services to main routes for a long time if they were to be replaced as they would have to be shut for years to switch over.  So we have to make do with DC 3rd rail electric powered trains unfortunately which need constant maintenance but if Grant Shapps and Co get there way we will be running unsafe train services and there will be much more cancellations and delays caused by cutting maintenance and safety aspects of Train operating companies! 

Come to Worcester and you'll find no electrification whatever, DC or AC, and semaphore signalling still in use for the foreseeable! I am interested in the subject of tracks specifically, though. What is it that say southern Spain does (somewhere like Seville 40+ is common in summer) that means the *tracks* don't suffer the warping issues that British rails seem to in hot summer conditions? Are they constructed differently or something?

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy November to March and Sunny and warm April to October
15 minutes ago, Arctic Hare said:

Come to Worcester and you'll find no electrification whatever, DC or AC, and semaphore signalling still in use for the foreseeable! I am interested in the subject of tracks specifically, though. What is it that say southern Spain does (somewhere like Seville 40+ is common in summer) that means the *tracks* don't suffer the warping issues that British rails seem to in hot summer conditions? Are they constructed differently or something?

My physical track knowledge is.not.my area of expertise im not a engineer unfortunately 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and sun in winter; warm and bright otherwise; not a big storm fan
32 minutes ago, Kentspur said:

My physical track knowledge is.not.my area of expertise im not a engineer unfortunately 

No worries, thanks for replying.

On another note, it's still 21.7 °C outside here as we approach midnight. This may be the worst thing in a week's time if current model output holds. Next Monday night looks like having minima possibly well into the 20s in many places. Going to be little relief from the brutal daytime heat while we're trying to sleep. Not that I want 15 °C and drizzle, but I would be very content with low-mid 20s maxes and quiet conditions (with some rain overnight) for a while after that.

Edited by Arctic Hare
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Stormy autumn, hot and sunny summer and thunderstorms all year round.

Very mild out there this evening here!

Hasn't dropped below 18c so far and its 18.7c degrees currently with 81% humidity.

Edited by wimblettben

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: cold and snowy. Summer: hot and sunny

Still 23°c out there with 47% humidity.

Posted
1 hour ago, Arctic Hare said:

Might be totally wrong here but I'm sure I may of read they 'paint' the rails/track white so its more reflective than the usual darker surfaces. 

I guess also the infrastructure is designed to deal with such temperatures whereas ours aint(which you hear alot about in winter). 

Posted

I have learnt to take the time off when temperatures get to 30c and above. My workshop is under the roof of an old Victorian industrial building, and as a general rule of thumb, it will be 10c hotter than whatever the outside temperature is in hot weather. I have, in the past, worked in those conditions, and ended up coming home with heatstroke, so now I know better than to try to 'man up' and endure it- I am no good to my clients if I am in hospital!

My sympathies with anyone who is forced unnecessarily to work in that sort of heat. I know I have no intention of hiring help until I have remedied the working conditions at my business.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer > Spring > Winter > Autumn :-)

Could do with some proper rain to revive the grass here, I know that much! The last 'significant' rain that we had (and you can't even say it was that) was 5mm on the 17th June. Since then we've only had 4mm in July, and with nothing forecast for another week at least, and the heat added means it's looking very yellow and brown here.

8 hours ago, CreweCold said:

More to life than work buddy!

Nice to see Victorian work attitudes are still alive and well

I agree, there is more to life than work. But, tell that to my landlord who still wants the rent paid every month.... If I don't work, how can I pay it?. I'm sorry to say that conditions such as this are only going get more commonplace and whilst I appreciate that people have preferences, if you consider 28c too hot to work in but okay to stay at home or go to the beach, then sorry, but there's something wrong. People commonly work in 40c+ temps in Asia...they have to. Shops still stay open, schools stay open.  

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...
9 hours ago, Don said:

No doubt very true but the difference is when on holiday, people normally go back to airconditioned accommodation, which most won't be able to do here!  Also those who experience those temperatures on holiday, choose to visit those destinations where it is very hot and obviously enjoy the heat.  However, those who don't have no choice next weekend unless they can book a last minute break to the Shetlands!

There's also that big blue thing? Offices, by and large, don't have one of those!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...
9 hours ago, Arctic Hare said:

Expansion joints manufactured to different standards? So far, 40C has never occurred here in blighty, so why on earth would our railway lines be built for it?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer > Spring > Winter > Autumn :-)

Rancid day today. Heavy cloud cover and warmth always feels a bit yucky.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

Boris held a Cobra meeting in Downing Street yesterday with the government preparing for the UK's first ever national heatwave emergency

• Thanks 2