Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Summer 2022 Chat

Posted
46 minutes ago, kold weather said:

sat97_rgb.jpg.edc2dd29d278fabed59301be320b3a0d.thumb.jpg.9163319105d332c5abc5aa58fa516e6e.jpg

This was posted in UKWW a short while ago, but nothing sums up N.Ireland's summer so far better than this image above.

Couldn't really make that up though, almost perfectly covering N.Ireland.

Depressing.

Blanket grey skies.

• Thanks 1

Posted
1 hour ago, *Stormforce~beka* said:

Unfortunately I think your right! Unless metoffice put out a close school advisory like when that storm hit earlier in the year.

I’ll tell you what will happen if schools are closed. Kids will have play dates or meet up with mates (depending on age) and spend more time out in the heat during the peak heat/sun strength time than if they were at school!

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: cold and snowy. Summer: hot and sunny
28 minutes ago, mountain shadow said:

Depressing.

Blanket grey skies.

I do feel for you. Today does seem quite bad luck when even northern Scotland is bathed in sunshine. 

Posted
1 minute ago, Andy Bown said:

I’ll tell you what will happen if schools are closed. Kids will have play dates or meet up with mates (depending on age) and spend more time out in the heat during the peak heat/sun strength time than if they were at school!

I think some common sense is probably required, especially given we are nearing the end of term anyway now. Ease up on the uniform and give out advice on heat preparation. Worst case scenario if the really extreme stuff comes up just do half days if it falls onto the day, but to be honest I kinda agree with your last point so not sure how that relaly helps all that much.

Teachers also will probably be prepared to accept students may not get through quite as much/shorter concentrations, etc.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Varied and not extreme.
4 hours ago, kold weather said:

Well the SE now into the very warm pattern which apart from maybe briefly on Wed/Thurs looks set to deliver well above average temps down here combined with not a drop of rain for at least the next 9-10 days.

Back in 2018 the grass went pretty much brown due to the heat, the only time I've seen the grass go quite that extreme (2006 did also feature some very dry looking grass mind you) and the grass is starting to head into the same pathway as those previously mentioned years. Given the lack of rain coming up and the heat (even if the extreme stuff never makes it) its going to be interesting to see how dark the grass goes. 

The surface lakes nearby will probably be gone this time next week given how much they have shrunk in recent weeks.

Ours here in Norfolk went white and crunched like dry snow. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Basically intresting weather,cold,windy you name it
56 minutes ago, mountain shadow said:

Depressing.

Blanket grey skies.

Would happily swap

Posted
11 minutes ago, chrisbell-nottheweatherman said:

Ours here in Norfolk went white and crunched like dry snow. 

I used to live S.Essex which is one of the driest spots in the country so it wasn't that unusual for the grass to go yellow, even in modest warm summers. 

However I've never seen grass go quite that dead looking before, then again 0mm rain in about 40-50 days will probably do that, even if the temps aren't too extreme.

I remember going to Wales and in mid July and returning on the hottest day of the year and the grass was reasonably green still in Wales, soon as we drove about 20-30 miles into England suddenly the grass turned yellow, and then a little further inland to brown.

Amazing summer, if slightly let down by yet another less than impressive August (they've often been the lesser summer month in recent times, and only Aug 2020 had anything even approaching memorable.

I also think this August will be fairly poor, with the large caveat that anything that comes from the SW/S/SE could well be much warmer than normal due to sustained heat over W.Europe and the Bay of Biscay.

Edited by kold weather
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heat, sun and thunderstorms in summer. Cold sunny days and snow in winter

It is turning out to be quite a nice summer for my neck of the woods. A few disappointing cloudy days but a fair amount of sunny ones with just a few clouds here and there. We have had a nice bit of rain too for the farmers and gardeners, but not so much as to be a washout. Temperature wise, bar a few days it has been pleasantly warm for much of the time.

In regards to the prospect of 40 Celsius being reached next weekend, I am not really too worried about it as I personally think it won't happen. Even if it does it will likely last no longer than a day or two. If anything, it would be great to experience it just for the one day out of curiosity as to exactly what it feels like and to break records.

Edited by Weather Enthusiast91
  • Like 1

Posted

Approaching the first half of the summer and whats really noticeable down here in the SE is just how  different this summer has been compared to the previous summer in terms of rainfall. Last year at this point we were running something close to 150-200% of average rainfall for the time of year widely across the SE.

This year we are probably something close to 50% by the 15th July, maybe even a touch lower. 

Its probably made this summer feel better than it actually has been, as its felt like a good summer down here. In reality upto this upcoming week its probably been fairly close to average on most metrics other than the dryness.

With all that being said I'd be surprised if the 2nd half of summer, particularly August isn't above average in terms of rainfall, especially given the heat now present. That being said it will take a very wet month to get us even back to average from this point.

• Like 4

Posted
6 hours ago, Alderc said:

This is not model post, but moderators can all the guilt tripping one liners about loss of lives be removed. This doesn’t happen in winter when everyone is baying for days of blizzards and subzero temps or when the likes of Storm Eunice cane along which was also clearly life threatening. 

Maybe another thread should be opened for concerns about that?

Above post is from @Alderc in the model thread, but I agree about the 'guilt trips'. We all know the dangers of heat, particularly for certain groups of people, so I don't think it needs reiterating every few posts in the model thread.

I also don't think it'll help if non-weather enthusiasts find the thread and read such comments, especially if the extreme heat doesn't materialise. It'll seem like the "boy who cried wolf".

Appropriate warnings will be issued by the government as and when necessary.

Edited by h2005__uk__
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heat, thunderstorms and snowy or frosty winters

Well the heat is well and truly on with gorgeous blue skies and a bit of cirrus floating round, feeling really Mediterranean out there can't complain ☀️  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: cold and snowy. Summer: hot and sunny

A number of places up and down the country have hit 29°c today. Will be interesting to see if anywhere has broken 30°c once all the data flows in. 

• Like 1

Posted

Met office have just updated their week ahead forecast on social media - certainly no need to close schools this week

I would imagine most on here have been to school in much warmer weather.

Edited by Staffmoorlands
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and dry, thunderstorms, mild temps (13-22°C).

Went for a nice 25 mile bike ride today, over the hills of the Peak District. Temperature reading 28 degrees or so. Very pleasant. Only took two hours. I thought I'd do worse to be honest, given the conditions. Must be getting fitter! 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, kold weather said:

Approaching the first half of the summer and whats really noticeable down here in the SE is just how  different this summer has been compared to the previous summer in terms of rainfall. Last year at this point we were running something close to 150-200% of average rainfall for the time of year widely across the SE.

This year we are probably something close to 50% by the 15th July, maybe even a touch lower. 

Its probably made this summer feel better than it actually has been, as its felt like a good summer down here. In reality upto this upcoming week its probably been fairly close to average on most metrics other than the dryness.

With all that being said I'd be surprised if the 2nd half of summer, particularly August isn't above average in terms of rainfall, especially given the heat now present. That being said it will take a very wet month to get us even back to average from this point.

Fully agree with this. In terms of temperatures, it's been rather average, with most days hovering around 21-22c (Cambs). It has been notably dry and sunny for many months here on the whole though which makes the summer in particular probably seem better than it actually has been so far.

That aside, it has certainly been the best summer since 2018, which is a summer I expect to not be surpassed for many many years; most likely decades. I can't overstate just how wonderful summer 2018 was with endless days of wall to wall sunshine, consistently high temperatures, and totally bone dry. It is the only time in my whole life that I actually forgot what rain looked or felt like, and have never seen ground so dry. 

In regards to the prospect of 40c being reached...I am rather confident it will come close (perhaps a 50% chance of the record of 38.7c being broken, and maybe a 20% chance of 40c being breached). Even with obvious global warming, the stars really do need to align in a big way to make 40c possible in this country. It is only a matter of time, but I do see it as the absolute maximum this country is capable of, and it needs the 25c isotherm, very low wind, and absence of cloud at 3pm and later. The UK usually succumbs to the last one.

Edited by SunnyPlease
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warehamwx.co.uk

I think cloud is going to be a pain here, this coming week, but at least it will be dry.

Beyond that, I'm hoping for a max temp record, or at least one 30°C minimum day time max this summer.

Posted
1 hour ago, SunnyPlease said:

Fully agree with this. In terms of temperatures, it's been rather average, with most days hovering around 21-22c (Cambs). It has been notably dry and sunny for many months here on the whole though which makes the summer in particular probably seem better than it actually has been so far.

That aside, it has certainly been the best summer since 2018, which is a summer I expect to not be surpassed for many many years; most likely decades. I can't overstate just how wonderful summer 2018 was with endless days of wall to wall sunshine, consistently high temperatures, and totally bone dry. It is the only time in my whole life that I actually forgot what rain looked or felt like, and have never seen ground so dry. 

In regards to the prospect of 40c being reached...I am rather confident it will come close (perhaps a 50% chance of the record of 38.7c being broken, and maybe a 20% chance of 40c being breached). Even with obvious global warming, the stars really do need to align in a big way to make 40c possible in this country. It is only a matter of time, but I do see it as the absolute maximum this country is capable of, and it needs the 25c isotherm, very low wind, and absence of cloud at 3pm and later. The UK usually succumbs to the last one.

I hated 2018 - the countryside was dying, or at least, it seemed as though it was dying.

4 minutes ago, chrisbell-nottheweatherman said:

I hated 2018 - the countryside was dying, or at least, it seemed as though it was dying.

It's preferences isn't it. If you don't like constant heat, dryness and sun, I can understand why you wouldn't like it. For me though, it was an absolutely wonderful summer. We get drenched nearly the year round in this country so it was absolute bliss to virtually have no rain at all for a couple of months.

• Like 2

Posted
1 minute ago, SunnyPlease said:

It's preferences isn't it. If you don't like constant heat, dryness and sun, I can understand why you wouldn't like it. For me though, it was an absolutely wonderful summer. We get drenched nearly the year round in this country so it was absolute bliss to virtually have no rain at all for a couple of months.

I agree provided there is enough subsequent rainfall to refill rivers and aquifers. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spanish plumes & stormy winters. Facebook @ Lance's Lightning Shots

Quite the sunset tonight! I do love this time of year. Winter is a distant memory right now and the longer it stays one, the better (however, the situation is getting desperate, lack of rainfall wise, so some downpours would go down very well).

Finished123.thumb.jpg.30b70564734f76764e82ad1a82a8df03.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Storms, and plenty of warm sunny days!
7 minutes ago, ResonantChannelThunder said:

Quite the sunset tonight! I do love this time of year. Winter is a distant memory right now and the longer it stays one, the better (however, the situation is getting desperate, lack of rainfall wise, so some downpours would go down very well).

Finished123.thumb.jpg.30b70564734f76764e82ad1a82a8df03.jpg

Fantastic photo, stunning

• Thanks 1

Posted
48 minutes ago, chrisbell-nottheweatherman said:

Isn't the grass actually fine for a very long time when it's yellow though. It certainly recovered easily enough by Autumn 2018.

As for today pretty much the perfect summer's day. 28C sunny all day with the odd bit of whispy high cloud.

Edited by Snowy L
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Storms, and plenty of warm sunny days!
4 minutes ago, Snowy L said:

Isn't the grass actually fine for a very long time when it's yellow though. It certainly recovered easily enough by Autumn 2018.

As for today pretty much the perfect summer's day. 28C sunny all day with the odd bit of whispy high cloud.

Isn't it a protective mechanism that grass has in hot weather? It will generally recover when the weather resumes to the norm!

• Like 1