Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Summer 2022 Chat

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Hot and Sunny but not opressive

Whilst I love heat , I am concerned about the extreme temperatures that some models have churned out recently. 

This calms my nerves slightly ( And I want  Hot  just not extreme ) 

At least we are going to get a proper Summer this year . No one can moan about this one eh . Cornwall and Northwest apart maybe

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Very Cold, Very Snowy
1 hour ago, CreweCold said:

Quite simply because in the chart above a section of the HP is migrating E or 'splitting' from the main core of HP. As this transfers E there will be a window where the Iberian LP pumps up some very high upper temps (20c+) towards the UK. This will likely translate to temperatures of 35-40C over the UK, dependent on how high the upper temps are and what time of the day the peak uppers occur.

Either way, we're not in a good place going forward. Make no mistake about it, the UK is not prepared for such heat and unfortunately if temperatures hit the upper estimates, people will die of heat exacerbated issues. Given the current state of the NHS and the ongoing energy crisis, this isn't good at all.

And as a coldie my outlook is changing. I am really concerned currently and am not sure how I can chase severe cold again where people also die. In all honesty I can't be worried about the heat consequences and not those of cold.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms and other extremes
5 minutes ago, Climate Man said:

And as a coldie my outlook is changing. I am really concerned currently and am not sure how I can chase severe cold again where people also die. In all honesty I can't be worried about the heat consequences and not those of cold.

We simply don’t get the extremes of cold these days anywhere near as often as we’re pushing 100f.

2c and slush isn’t going to cause half as many problems as 35-40c heat.

Edited by CreweCold
  • Like 3

Posted

I don’t know why some can’t accept that people have different weather preferences and are interested in the extremes and have to gaslight them into feeling guilty about it, particularly when there will always be people suffering from any weather that is different from the norm.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: cold and snowy. Summer: hot and sunny

Cloud is clearing and the sun is starting to shine now. This is the start of the heatwave for me, as from now until at least the middle of next week temperatures are only going one way. 

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heat, thunderstorms and snowy or frosty winters

Started off with heavy cloud this morning and drizzle, I was even shocked I had to have the lights on first thing this morning as it was unusually dark for early July almost felt autumnal instead of summery but in the past hour or so the cloud is finally starting to break and feeling a tad warmer than earlier

40 minutes ago, danm said:

Cloud is clearing and the sun is starting to shine now. This is the start of the heatwave for me, as from now until at least the middle of next week temperatures are only going one way. 

Hoping so I'm bored of this cloud fest now would be nice this is the start of the warm/potentially hot weather.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine and 15-25c
8 hours ago, Climate Man said:

700k people die in the UK every year for all sorts of reasons..i doubt those dying from weather related issues has changed in the last 50 years if anything i would assume they would have gone down..due to better living standards as a whole

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Very Cold, Very Snowy
3 minutes ago, cheeky_monkey said:

700k people die in the UK every year for all sorts of reasons..i doubt those dying from weather related issues has changed in the last 50 years if anything i would assume they would have gone down..due to better living standards as a whole

Your probably correct. I am just struggling with what I wish for. I like thunderstorms but that storm may destroy someone's house or lighting may hit a kid. On your latter point. Our risk averse society should help. Son's sports day cancelled last week as it rained on the morning before it was due in the afternoon when the sun was out. They are trying  again on Monday . Half expecting cancellation due to heat....

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...
1 hour ago, cheeky_monkey said:

700k? That's more than the Luftwaffe managed in six years! In the immortal words of Victor Meldrew: I don't believe it!

Edited by Ed Stone

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine and 15-25c
58 minutes ago, Ed Stone said:

700k? That's more than the Luftwaffe managed in six years! In the immortal words of Victor Meldrew: I don't believe it!

you know what they say one death is a tragedy ..700k is a statistic 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...
1 minute ago, cheeky_monkey said:

you know what they say one death is a tragedy ..700k is a statistic 

I think I'm seeing things, CM. Sorry about that. A few more of one's marbles may have 'escaped'!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Clear blue skies!

Blue skies finally arrived since about 4pm and looks good for most of the week now. Surprised to see a full day of cloud forecast for Tuesday but other than that, should be a mainly gorgeous and sunny 7 days or so and with any luck, most of July haha.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Temperatures ≤25ºC ≥10ºC.

What's the storm risk looking like with this upcoming spell of summer? I plan to leave both of the air con pipes in the window. If it dumps it down, it'll flood upstairs as although the window is secure, it doesn't seal around the hose bracket.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot, dry & sunny

Glorious summer evening in London even if the flying ants are swarming 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and Thunderstorms☃⛈

Let proper summer begin!☀

image.thumb.png.8536d4d636203b2d111db4db79994fa2.pngimage.thumb.png.778da9ffb8989affaaa4309286ca5bc1.png

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!

NW breeze again, so means starting very grey exposed to the gap, been awful last week or so with NW breeze

• Like 2

Posted
2 minutes ago, I remember Atlantic 252 said:

NW breeze again, so means starting very grey exposed to the gap, been awful last week or so with NW breeze

Yes, cool and cloudy start here and across the Peak District 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Storms, and plenty of warm sunny days!

Bright blue sky's and 19c already, my only 'moan' is i am at work, roll on 5pm!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything non-disruptive, and some variety
On 07/07/2022 at 06:32, MattStoke said:

I don’t know why some can’t accept that people have different weather preferences and are interested in the extremes and have to gaslight them into feeling guilty about it, particularly when there will always be people suffering from any weather that is different from the norm.

Wishing for weather that causes major disruption, a spike in deaths and hospital loading, or is highly uncomfortable has always struck me as irrational, but when it comes to humanity I should by used to it by now. I find windstorms fascinating and dramatic to witness, but I don't wish for another October 1987 or January 1990 event to slam the highly populated areas of the UK, because that would result in death and destruction. I highly doubt the Phillippine population were drooling when supertyphoon Goni came ashore in 2020 as the strongest landfalling tropical cyclone on record. On the storm2k forum, wishing for a destructive hurricane is heavily frowned upon to the point where posts will be deleted because it is classed as highly insensitive. It is not gaslighting, it is just empathy and a reminder that whilst some individuals who are unaffected might be having orgasms, many more out-of-sight-out-of-mind people are suffering which should be recognised.

• Like 2

Posted

Already up to 21.4C here. Can certainly see us beating the 25C forecast.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: cold and snowy. Summer: hot and sunny

Glorious out there. Nothing better than totally cloudless skies and warmth. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Posted
43 minutes ago, al78 said:

Wishing for weather that causes major disruption, a spike in deaths and hospital loading, or is highly uncomfortable has always struck me as irrational, but when it comes to humanity I should by used to it by now. I find windstorms fascinating and dramatic to witness, but I don't wish for another October 1987 or January 1990 event to slam the highly populated areas of the UK, because that would result in death and destruction. I highly doubt the Phillippine population were drooling when supertyphoon Goni came ashore in 2020 as the strongest landfalling tropical cyclone on record. On the storm2k forum, wishing for a destructive hurricane is heavily frowned upon to the point where posts will be deleted because it is classed as highly insensitive. It is not gaslighting, it is just empathy and a reminder that whilst some individuals who are unaffected might be having orgasms, many more out-of-sight-out-of-mind people are suffering which should be recognised.

Whatever makes you feel self righteous Making people feel guilty is pathetic and it is gaslighting, especially when their want doesn’t control what will happen. It is possible to get enthusiastic over extreme weather whilst not wanting and being mindful of the disruption. Maybe we should all just want for mundane, average conditions all the time seeing as people will always suffer when the weather departs from the norm. That would make the hobby of weather watching really interesting  

Edited by MattStoke
  • Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and sun in winter; warm and bright otherwise; not a big storm fan

Interesting for me in the Midlands to see the contrast between those in the SE who are having a really good summer so far (assuming you like it warm and dry) and those in the NW who are having a rather different experience. As you'd expect I guess, here in between the two blocs it's somewhere in the middle. Right now, just on personal opinion and not on hard data, I'd call this a decent but not great summer so far. Too much irritating light rain to be better than that, eg it was overcast, gloomy and spotting about 8:30 am yesterday morning.

• Like 1