Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Summer 2022 Chat

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.
1 hour ago, summer blizzard said:

It's been dry but I suspect cloudier than normal in Leeds and I don't think Maxima will be much different from average.

I envisage this summer as a poor man's 05, a good mid June-mid-July period in an otherwise unremarkable summer.

We’ll need a decent August to come close to 2005.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer > Spring > Winter > Autumn :-)
9 hours ago, Weather-history said:

Matt Hugo is not holding out much hope for a really good August ala 1975, 1995, 2003.  

I would tend to agree. That VP anom chart shows the Nina standing wave returning soon and persisting all through august. The only thing that has brought this nice weather now is a strong MJO push (which was well forecast back in mid June), and once that breaks down in the next 10-14 days it’ll likely revert back to a trough in our neck of the woods. Just need to get lucky and it not stick right over us.

Posted
1 hour ago, reef said:

Maxima were more than 1.5C above average and sunshine more than 130% above average in Leeds in June. It also had around 50% of normal rainfall:

2022_6_MaxTemp_Anomaly_1991-2020.gif2022_6_Sunshine_Anomaly_1991-2020.gif2022_6_Rainfall_Anomaly_1991-2020.gif

Here we had the sunniest June since 1976, the 5th warmest in 42 years and 8th driest (47% of normal rainfall). It was an excellent summer month and July looks like following it.

Great example of a west - east split. Cumbria firmly white in all three categories. 

43 minutes ago, kold weather said:

Locally whats been most noticeable so far with this summer (and indeed spring) is just how dry it has been. In terms of warmth its been nothing too impressive, but due to the decent amounts of sunshine and dryness it has felt warmer than it probably has been.

Compared to what we were enduring down here in the SE this time last year this is near perfection at the moment. Of course June did have a decent hot spell which was more sustained than anything we've seen...upto this point of course!

Watch August undo the dry theme..

Edited by damianslaw
  • Like 1

Posted
10 hours ago, danm said:

In the bone dry south east, gardens are becoming like tinder. Grass is dry, brown and straw like:

47E3B281-8434-4E99-8291-4CDEE1EB8B82.thumb.jpeg.0ed02c8a175387503af3bb3baa4e167c.jpeg

Very much how my lawn looks here just east of Cambridge. Also very large cracks in the ground, I suppose a reflection of the mix of chalk and clay soil (with the bit of flint thrown in) we have here. 

Another brilliant day here today. I was trimming back the hedges mid-morning and  although the air temperature was ok the sun was hot. A reminder that solar radiation this time of year is strong.

• Like 2

Posted

Cloudy again this morning. Couple of sunny days ahead before the clouds return midweek

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything below 0c or above 20c. Also love a good thunderstorm!

Morning all, some cloud this way which kept temps up overnight.

If one is to liken Summer to a long weekend celebration or festival, we're now at the peak. Everything is rocking and the main stage is buzzing. 

May is like Friday, a sense of build up and anticipation as people arrive and settle in. No big party yet but spirits are high.

June is like Saturday, the first main day and the party is setting in.

July is the Sunday, the other main day and often with the main acts. There's still a day off tomorrow so the drinks flow and everyone is in the swing of it.

Then August, the wind down day. Everyone is a bit jaded and the prospect of going back to work (or the Autumn) starts to loom. Sometimes,  especially for those who've booked off another day, the good vibes continue albeit more feet up affair.

September for many is back to work day although some have this day off and can have a last chance to enjoy oneself. 

Like celebrations or festivals, they can vary just like Summer. Sometimes, especially in more recent years it's peaked early before tailing off in August. Sometimes like 2016, the main bit was late! Also, they can really hit the mark like 2018, or can be a bit underwhelming like 2011.

So far this Summer it's been going well (for the SE anyway) with Autumn a long long way away. I've got a suspicion that August will disappoint as it often has in recent years, but let's enjoy now!

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: cold and snowy. Summer: hot and sunny

We’ve had some annoying cloud this morning but it’s breaking up nicely now and the rest of the day should be glorious. A tad cooler today with highs of 27°c. 

Edited by danm
  • Like 1

Posted

Good timing with the front, if it happened overnight it may as well as not happened at all. Another mostly sunny day.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: cold and snowy. Summer: hot and sunny
1 minute ago, mountain shadow said:

Thick 100% cloud cover persists and now producing drizzle. 

Awful Summer.

It does sound like you’ve had a horrendous period of gloomy weather. 

• Like 2

Posted
22 minutes ago, danm said:

It does sound like you’ve had a horrendous period of gloomy weather. 

Horrendous. 

Northern Ireland as a whole only had 68% of normal sunshine for June. And July has been worse.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heat, thunderstorms and snowy or frosty winters

Another lovely start to the day any morning cloud has now cleared and blue skies with a slight hint of cirrus but nothing to worry about temps warming up nicely although a slightly nagging North/Westerly breeze, hoping the temps are going to reflect yesterday as they were forecast to be around 23c up here and ended up around 27c 

• Like 2

Posted

There's Leconfield up there at 25C on the latest top temps list again. Definitely something up with that station as its only 19.2C here 7 miles away.

Posted
1 hour ago, mountain shadow said:

Thick 100% cloud cover persists and now producing drizzle. 

Awful Summer.

Definite role reversal this summer back towards the norm, I believe you guys had a pretty decent summer up there last year, whilst us in the SE had a pretty poor summer outside of two fairly decent hot spells either side of the durge of mid June-July.

Posted

I'm scared to death with these mega heats shown. I'm meant to be in a caravan next weekend ...

• Like 2

Posted
Just now, *Stormforce~beka* said:

I'm scared to death with these mega heats shown. I'm meant to be in a caravan next weekend ...

The mega heat as is shown on the GFS op is still unlikely, at least to the extent of the GFS op run. However it does look like its going to be a reasonably hot weekend and there is now increasingly good agreement on temps being at least north of 28c next weekend. I wouldn't yet place any confidence whether that means 28-29c or 39c+ however, still quite a large range of options.

So no need yet to get too concerned, plenty of time for a moderation to something at least a little more manageable, frankly I'd expect it to some extent.

• Like 2

Posted
28 minutes ago, kold weather said:

Definite role reversal this summer back towards the norm, I believe you guys had a pretty decent summer up there last year, whilst us in the SE had a pretty poor summer outside of two fairly decent hot spells either side of the durge of mid June-July.

I think it's all relative though. The South East would still have had higher temperatures and more sun .

Posted

Brief cloudy spell this morning has given way to warm sunshine. Temperature climbing steadily. Just to emphasise the very dry conditions, here are a couple of photos of my lawn which is not only very dry and cracked but is looking just a bit dead:

P1010455.JPG

P1010454.JPG

Edited by Rheidolinflood
  • Like 2

Posted
11 minutes ago, mountain shadow said:

I think it's all relative though. The South East would still have had higher temperatures and more sun .

I think we ended up around 85-90% of normal sunshine last summer, but a decent chunk of that figure came in two spells of pretty decent weather (roughly 3 weeks of really good sunshine levels). Outside of that down here it really was a rough summer (probably would be an average summer for you guys I guess!)

We ended up at average temps, 80% sunshine and 170% of rainfall locally. Compared to the great summer of 2018, the spotty but at times very hot shots in 2019 and the impressive Aug 2020 heatwave, it certainly came as a bit of a letdown summer, even if as you say it probably is relatively normal type of summer for further north.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines
29 minutes ago, *Stormforce~beka* said:

I’d be sleeping outside  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted

Latest GFS run shows 49c on the coast of France. That would beat the all time Europe record. The fact its this close to the UK is crazy..

image.thumb.png.48c876549d20293e3f4bb75940ad8a64.png

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted
6 hours ago, Bradley in Kent said:

Morning all, some cloud this way which kept temps up overnight.

If one is to liken Summer to a long weekend celebration or festival, we're now at the peak. Everything is rocking and the main stage is buzzing. 

May is like Friday, a sense of build up and anticipation as people arrive and settle in. No big party yet but spirits are high.

June is like Saturday, the first main day and the party is setting in.

July is the Sunday, the other main day and often with the main acts. There's still a day off tomorrow so the drinks flow and everyone is in the swing of it.

Then August, the wind down day. Everyone is a bit jaded and the prospect of going back to work (or the Autumn) starts to loom. Sometimes,  especially for those who've booked off another day, the good vibes continue albeit more feet up affair.

September for many is back to work day although some have this day off and can have a last chance to enjoy oneself. 

Like celebrations or festivals, they can vary just like Summer. Sometimes, especially in more recent years it's peaked early before tailing off in August. Sometimes like 2016, the main bit was late! Also, they can really hit the mark like 2018, or can be a bit underwhelming like 2011.

So far this Summer it's been going well (for the SE anyway) with Autumn a long long way away. I've got a suspicion that August will disappoint as it often has in recent years, but let's enjoy now!

Have a feeling august will be a month of two halves, with the first two weeks being unsettled and cool, but the second half warm and sunny with a few hot days thrown in, and maybe a widespread storm. Then, the gradual cool-down into autumn starts.

2 hours ago, kold weather said:

I think we ended up around 85-90% of normal sunshine last summer, but a decent chunk of that figure came in two spells of pretty decent weather (roughly 3 weeks of really good sunshine levels). Outside of that down here it really was a rough summer (probably would be an average summer for you guys I guess!)

We ended up at average temps, 80% sunshine and 170% of rainfall locally. Compared to the great summer of 2018, the spotty but at times very hot shots in 2019 and the impressive Aug 2020 heatwave, it certainly came as a bit of a letdown summer, even if as you say it probably is relatively normal type of summer for further north.

2021 was terrible, with long spells of dull days, apart from 3 lovely hot sunny weeks in June and July, 1 week in late July, the other 2 at the start of June.

2020 was a mixed bag, but much better in comparison. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heat, thunderstorms and snowy or frosty winters
2 hours ago, Frigid said:

Latest GFS run shows 49c on the coast of France. That would beat the all time Europe record. The fact its this close to the UK is crazy..

image.thumb.png.48c876549d20293e3f4bb75940ad8a64.png

Those are like temps in Death valley 

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Storms, and plenty of warm sunny days!

Registered 23c here on the Yorkshire Wolds @3pm, have been working outside since 8.30 taking down some old stables and it has been perfect working weather, temp dropped a tad as the breeze has picked a little now, Pub beer garden time

• Like 1