Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Summer 2022 Chat

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Northeasterly Blizzard and sub zero temperatures.

Good summary there. Having previously lived in your part of the world, the lack of persistent rainfall this year , I think would be most welcome but some possibly needed soon for the summer to upgrade to a better one.  Northwest England seems to have a bland and rather mild cloudy climate for most of the year but I liked my time there and especially the locals to the region.

C

• Thanks 1

Posted

Dry, hot weather's vital for the next 2-3wks if farmers are to get the wheat/barley harvest in on time. Any rain now will mean that the crop has to be put into a very expensive, fuel-fired grain dryer to drive the moisture off, thus driving down profit which will be offset by a rise in prices. We're already staring at a huge increase in grain prices due to the near total collapse of the Ukrainian farming sector. 

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: cold and snowy. Summer: hot and sunny
9 hours ago, East Lancs Rain said:

Yeah it has, last year was the opposite though, was quite amusing seeing southerners on here moan about poor weather while Scots were bathing in sunshine. 

Here in NW England (roughly in the middle between London and where you are) while it hasn’t been anything to write home about it hasn’t been a terrible June by any means. Just rather dry, rather on the cloudy side and rather mediocre temperatures. Certainly had far worse June’s! (2012 and 2019 come to mind.) Just a lot of rather drab weather, a bit like the weather this year so far really, not really anything of interest, it’s just been milder than average for the last six months.

Last year we had a warm, dry and sunny June and July. August was dry too, although rather cool and cloudy at times. Nothing too hot either apart from the third week of July, it was a very pleasant summer here.

Last summer definitely was a poorer one for down here, especially after a run of three largely excellent summers in 2018, 2019 and 2020 (June 2019 being the exception). However, having the NW/SE split reversed is very much an anomaly. We sometimes see the NW do better in May and early June but not usually later into the summer. 

Back to today, and another sparkling, warm and sunny morning here in London:

25A074B1-9CF0-48F3-800F-DE2FCBDEEFE8.thumb.jpeg.5f584bb88ca7ae99b61620a36ad1e4a5.jpeg

Edited by danm
  • Like 2

Posted

Drizzle this morning. More like October than early July.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heat, thunderstorms and snowy or frosty winters
38 minutes ago, danm said:

Last summer definitely was a poorer one for down here, especially after a run of three largely excellent summers in 2018, 2019 and 2020 (June 2019 being the exception). However, having the NW/SE split reversed is very much an anomaly. We sometimes see the NW do better in May and early June but not usually later into the summer. 

25A074B1-9CF0-48F3-800F-DE2FCBDEEFE8.thumb.jpeg.5f584bb88ca7ae99b61620a36ad1e4a5.jpeg

Do you mind trolling me with your glorious blue skies currently under a mass of grey cloud with the threat of light rain this afternoon 

• Like 4

Posted
26 minutes ago, I remember Atlantic 252 said:

Another day when warmest was 7-8am, very common here

Every day is the same. Wake up to 100% cloud, get a brief glimpse of blue sky around 8am, then clouds over and temp drops.

Even in the 'warm' up with the Azores building in will be cloudy.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: cold and snowy. Summer: hot and sunny

Sunny and warm with some fair weather cloud, currently about 21°c. Expecting a high of 22/23°c later. 

Current view from office in central London:

BC004C5E-5105-47F0-88B0-EDF656D895C1.thumb.jpeg.459ca7f1081a5f85ff2f9d16abc771e0.jpeg

Edited by danm
  • Like 2

Posted

Last year NW/SE split favouring the NW

This year NW/SE split favouring the SE

And here we end up in the cloudy zone in both setups. Same with E-W splits (E favoured the sun starts at Birmingham, W favoured it starts in Wales). In the 80s and 90s I'm sure N-S splits were more common, with the line being around 54N when the S was favoured.

I really cannot remember a more boring and tedious extended spell for weather than that since October 2021. Snow, frost, thunder, warmth, cold all practically absent. The only extended spell of sunshine came in March, only really wet spell in February. A handful of sunny and warm days in June, one brief thunderstorm on the Jubilee Friday, everything else that has been forecast not turning up. The same periods in 1997-98 and 2001-02 were positively full of weather interest by comparison...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything below 0c or above 20c. Also love a good thunderstorm!
16 minutes ago, The Tall Weatherman said:

Going to West turkey tomorrow! Going to be hot and hopeful for storms.

06B434F8-C5B8-4096-928F-1A46B302600F.jpeg

The Med SSTs are red hot currently which is why I think models are showing sky high temps from plumes; air staying hot for longer with less reasons to cool off as it travels north. 

I don't know you but good luck with the flights and enjoy your hols!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Posted
20 hours ago, East Lancs Rain said:

Yeah it has, last year was the opposite though, was quite amusing seeing southerners on here moan about poor weather while Scots were bathing in sunshine. 

Here in NW England (roughly in the middle between London and where you are) while it hasn’t been anything to write home about it hasn’t been a terrible June by any means. Just rather dry, rather on the cloudy side and rather mediocre temperatures. Certainly had far worse June’s! (2012 and 2019 come to mind.) Just a lot of rather drab weather, a bit like the weather this year so far really, not really anything of interest, it’s just been milder than average for the last six months.

Last year we had a warm, dry and sunny June and July. August was dry too, although rather cool and cloudy at times. Nothing too hot either apart from the third week of July, it was a very pleasant summer here.

Last summer was rotten down south. Too many cloudy days between June and August, bar a few hot sunny weeks in June to July, and all this followed a cold damp May.

11 hours ago, danm said:

I would have to disagree with 2019 and 2020 being excellent. Both has nice spells of weather, but it was mostly unsettled and cloudy in the main summer months.

2018 was lovely and sunny for most of the May to mid August period.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

No, sorry, last summer was fine over here. Sometimes I wonder what you guys expect. Was my suntan an illusion?

• Like 1

Posted

I love the enthusiasm on here for extremes of weather, but I don’t really get the excitement for predictions of 40 degrees in the UK. 

Apart from the obvious discomfort/health  issues in a country unused to hot conditions, we all know the reasons for those possible temperatures, and what they might mean for the future, and none of them are good. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Posted
25 minutes ago, Ed Stone said:

No, sorry, last summer was fine over here. Sometimes I wonder what you guys expect. Was my suntan an illusion?

Not at all, but I remember many days of just long dreary cloudy dross. Especially August, which was particularly bad for lack of sunny days.

There were a handful of sunny days, but they were infrequent and far between. 

• Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...
1 minute ago, Sunny76 said:

Not at all, but I remember many days of just long dreary cloudy dross. Especially August, which was particularly bad for lack of sunny days.

There were a handful of sunny days, but they were infrequent and far between. 

On the contrary, there were many sunny days: last summer's suntan lasted until this spring!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything below 0c or above 20c. Also love a good thunderstorm!

My takes on recent Summers in North Kent (including May and September) as someone who wants warmth and sun:

2022 so far: running to script 

2021: role reversal

2020: a proper stay at home summer (locally excellent)

2019: spikey

2018: belter 

2017: good start, poor finish

2016: poor start, good finish

2015: one day wonder

2014: steady, but played it safe

2013: hot in the middle 

2012: indoor clothes horse / tumble dryer job

2011: dry and drab

2010: short and sweet

2009: bog standard 

2008: boring 

2007: season skipped

2006: belter

2005: not old enough to properly remember 

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer
17 minutes ago, HellItsHot said:

I love the enthusiasm on here for extremes of weather, but I don’t really get the excitement for predictions of 40 degrees in the UK. 

Apart from the obvious discomfort/health  issues in a country unused to hot conditions, we all know the reasons for those possible temperatures, and what they might mean for the future, and none of them are good. 

Do you have the same comment to cold chasers in the Winter? More people die from cold in the winter than heat in summer yet people still chase cold weather and nobody complains... People can keep cool if they want but they just ignore the health risks 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Very Cold, Very Snowy
27 minutes ago, 38.7°C said:

Do you have the same comment to cold chasers in the Winter? More people die from cold in the winter than heat in summer yet people still chase cold weather and nobody complains... People can keep cool if they want but they just ignore the health risks 

Most on here like extremes but it is the fact that it may be a harbinger of doom in this case. Rising temperatures may change our lives as we know them.  Even the threat is doing so now. Cold not an issue in general terms.

Edited by Climate Man
  • Thanks 1

Posted
39 minutes ago, Ed Stone said:

On the contrary, there were many sunny days: last summer's suntan lasted until this spring!

Where you were, not where I was lol.

London was gloom central. It was probably one of the most depressing summers in recent years. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and sun in winter; warm and bright otherwise; not a big storm fan
51 minutes ago, HellItsHot said:

Personally speaking over 30 °C is usually too hot for me, especially if I need to be even slightly active. The thought of 40 °C fills me with considerable dread, and the thought it may become more than a once-in-a-lifetime event within a couple of decades more so. That said however, if at some point it's going to be record-breakingly hot, then I'd marginally prefer 40 °C to 39.7 °C. No real difference in effect, but a more "interesting" record I suppose.

2006 was a very nice summer for me. In these parts it was only rarely stupidly hot, but it was really nice summer weather most of the "extended summer" from May to September, barring a relatively ordinary August. I'd definitely prefer a repeat of that summer compared with a couple of days of three-figure-Fahrenheit and nothing else of much note, and by a long long way.

• Like 1

Posted
39 minutes ago, Bradley in Kent said:

My takes on recent Summers in North Kent (including May and September) as someone who wants warmth and sun:

2022 so far: running to script 

2021: role reversal

2020: a proper stay at home summer (locally excellent)

2019: spikey

2018: belter 

2017: good start, poor finish

2016: poor start, good finish

2015: one day wonder

2014: steady, but played it safe

2013: hot in the middle 

2012: indoor clothes horse / tumble dryer job

2011: dry and drab

2010: short and sweet

2009: bog standard 

2008: boring 

2007: season skipped

2006: belter

2005: not old enough to properly remember 

2014 didn’t play it safe lol.

It was a duff August though.

• Like 1

Posted
34 minutes ago, 38.7°C said:

If the upcoming potential heatwave does prove to be as extreme as some models have been hinting at, the consequences will likely be more life threatening than a winter freeze.  As I've said before, winter cold does kill, but it would be very difficult for people in this country to keep cool in 40C+ temperatures!

• Like 3

Posted
1 hour ago, HellItsHot said:

I suspect because such conditions would be a 1 day wonder... 

• Like 1