Thunder?
Local
Radar
Hot?
IGNORED

Summer 2022 Chat

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines

Arrived at Heathrow to an absolutely gorgeous summer’s day, sunny and 24°C with light winds. 
Unfortunately, early next week looks quite dangerous. Seems that the expected temperatures have increased. Scary.

5287A2B1-D20E-4DAC-8753-0D8243285F79.png

Edited by stainesbloke
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: cold and snowy. Summer: hot and sunny

Met Office are live streaming. You can rewind to the start:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted

The calm before the heat. Stunning day today, crystal clear blue skies, wall to wall sunshine, currently 24°c with a high of 26°c expected. 

If after the records being smashed next week we could go back to this sort of weather I'm sure most of us would be delighted. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Posted
1 hour ago, Djdazzle said:

Surely there will be a "stay at home" instruction issued?

For the sake of our NHS yes please!!

Posted

Latest from @Jo Farrow on the heat.

0715redwarnFP.jpg
WWW.NETWEATHER.TV

The UK Met Office has issued a Red warning for extreme heat for the early part of next week. The UK temperature record looks under threat, with the possibility of 40C.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun, sleet, Snow
29 minutes ago, *Stormforce~beka* said:

For the sake of our NHS yes please!!

My cousin was ill the other day and there were no ambulances available. If one did turn up then it would have been stuck 6 hours outside A&E. The NHS emergency services are at winter levels of patient numbers due to Covid and heat related health problems, next week is going to make things a lot worse.

• Like 3

Posted

Seriously, why am i seeing twitter comments from some celebrating 40C when this is a national emergency-that should be a stay at home order even if it is only for 2 days next-infrastructure won't be able to cope.

• Like 1

Posted
1 hour ago, The Tall Weatherman said:

Don’t compare heat to COVID. Heat is on a whole different level dangerous if kept out in it.

COVID isn't dangerous to 99% of the population. The extreme heat next week will be dangerous to most people if they don't take reasonable precautions.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe weather
17 minutes ago, Djdazzle said:

COVID isn't dangerous to 99% of the population. The extreme heat next week will be dangerous to most people if they don't take reasonable precautions.

Completely agree

• Like 2

Posted
36 minutes ago, Weather26 said:

Seriously, why am i seeing twitter comments from some celebrating 40C when this is a national emergency-that should be a stay at home order even if it is only for 2 days next-infrastructure won't be able to cope.

It doesn't need to be a stay at home order one little bit. The majority of people know what to do to keep safe and that is lots of sun cream if out, drinking plenty of water, wet flannels over body, cold shower/baths and windows open but shutting the curtains to keep it cool. The weather where I am on Tuesday even looks worse now then on Monday with it getting colder on Tuesday and chance of storms later on in the day. I am going for a meal out on Tuesday evening so pretty sure that won't be cancelled

• Like 2

Posted
2 minutes ago, samthefootball said:

It doesn't need to be a stay at home order one little bit. The majority of people know what to do to keep safe and that is lots of sun cream if out, drinking plenty of water, wet flannels over body, cold shower/baths and windows open but shutting the curtains to keep it cool. The weather where I am on Tuesday even looks worse now then on Monday with it getting colder on Tuesday and chance of storms later on in the day. I am going for a meal out on Tuesday evening so pretty sure that won't be cancelled

A lot of people don't know how to behave in a normal hot spell - and this is far from normal.

It only takes a minority of people to act in a stupid way in order for it to have serious affects on everybody else.

• Like 2

Posted
46 minutes ago, Weather26 said:

Temperatures peaking at 38C at 1pm before rapidly falling away or temperatures peaking at 40C at 3pm before rapidly falling away is hardly going to make a huge difference. The former, plus the unbearable Monday night mimimum is pretty much guaranteed now, we may as well go all in.

Edited by Snowy L

Posted
4 minutes ago, Snowy L said:

Temperatures peaking at 38C at 1pm before rapidly falling away or temperatures peaking at 40C at 3pm before rapidly falling away is hardly going to make a huge difference. The former, plus the unbearable Monday night mimimum is pretty much guaranteed now, we may as well go all in.

Then clearly this country doesn't get the definition  of "national emergency" which should surely mean everything (barring essential services) coming to a halt when it reaches a certain or at the very least working from home should be allowed.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine and 15-25c
1 minute ago, Weather26 said:

Then clearly this country doesn't get the definition  of "national emergency" which should surely mean everything (barring essential services) coming to a halt when it reaches a certain or at the very least working from home should be allowed.

we reached the low 40s here last year for the best part of a week..was no emergency life just went on as normal

• Like 1

Posted
4 minutes ago, cheeky_monkey said:

we reached the low 40s here last year for the best part of a week..was no emergency life just went on as normal

You also get far more extended hot spells than the UK.

I daresay that having a far lower population density helps too.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot sunny summers, cold snowy winters
16 minutes ago, Djdazzle said:

A lot of people don't know how to behave in a normal hot spell - and this is far from normal.

It only takes a minority of people to act in a stupid way in order for it to have serious affects on everybody else.

A lot like Covid then...

The majority of people will be fine and will know how to behave to suit conditions, lots of other places seem to cope just fine with high and prelonged temperatures, this is just a couple of days its not the end of the world

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms & Snow.

Where can I find record minimum temperatures for Wales? Monday night looks like it could break record's here 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine and 15-25c
Just now, Djdazzle said:

You also get far more extended hot spells than the UK.

I daresay that having a far lower population density helps too.

1.2 million people live in Edmonton so is the size of Birmingham ..what we do have is a much bigger % of homes, offices, schools etc that are Air Conditioned 

Posted
1 hour ago, Djdazzle said:

I never heard such nonsense in my life.

We know people who’ve been affected by Covid, but don’t know anyone who’s suffered fatally due to high temperatures in. U.K. summer. 

• Like 2

Posted
12 minutes ago, cheeky_monkey said:

For most yes, but it did cause significant excess deaths, the following was a report from just one of the affected states/provinces.

From The Guardian 3 July 2021

Nearly 500 people may have been killed by record-breaking temperatures in Canada’s westernmost province, as officials warn the grim toll from “heat dome” could rise again as more deaths are reported.

On Friday, British Columbia’s chief coroner said that 719 “sudden and unexpected deaths” had been reported over the past week – triple the number during a similar period in a typical year.

“We are releasing this information as it is believed likely the extreme weather BC has experienced in the past week is a significant contributing factor to the increased number of deaths,” the chief coroner, Lisa Lapointe, said in a statement.

Same with Paris in 2003 (15k excess deaths).  Heat can kill the vulnerable.

• Like 1

Posted
9 minutes ago, cheeky_monkey said:

1.2 million people live in Edmonton so is the size of Birmingham ..what we do have is a much bigger % of homes, offices, schools etc that are Air Conditioned 

I never felt that sense of claustrophobia while living in Toronto, compared to living in London. 

London is too crowded to begin with, but everything in comparison is much narrower and everything is more boxed in.

That being said, Toronto summers are humid. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...
2 minutes ago, Sunny76 said:

I never heard such nonsense in my life.

We know people who’ve been affected by Covid, but don’t know anyone who’s suffered fatally due to high temperatures in. U.K. summer. 

I think we all get your 'message'!  image.thumb.png.dc89b8bb1456beb2810e33c024c8a218.png

• Like 3

Posted
33 minutes ago, Djdazzle said:

I don’t think the media helps either. 

It’s a very hot spell of weather, and most of us will survive. 

• Like 3

Posted
12 minutes ago, cheeky_monkey said:

This is the key thing. Most homes here aren't air conditioned, so it's the lack of relief from the heat that is the main issue. 

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow. Storms

Can you imagine calling for a ‘stay at home’ order to be issued prior to 2020? Begging the government to give you instructions on how to behave in weather? The level of damage done to some people’s psyche over the last couple of years is depressing 

• Like 9