Thunder?
Local
Radar
Hot?
IGNORED

The heat haters club 2022

Dami
Message added by Paul,

This thread is for those who don't enjoy the heat to discuss that and offer support to each other through the summer months. If you don't feel similarly and don't have any empathy for those who do, please don't post in here.

Posted

Morning - a peril of every window open is early birdsong. In this case, a crow shouting his morning chorus!

Checked temp and it’s 24.1c outside!! 

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extremes.

Good morning fellow heat haters. It was an uncomfortable night here in South Glos to say the least. I reckon I've managed three hours kip at most. 

Fortunately I've a few days off work so going to hit the golf course early before the heat builds up again. 

Anyway one more sweltering day to get through and then more pleasant weather on the way for this part of the world and It can't come soon enough😊

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy and thundery.

I somehow dosed off around midnight and woke up at 4am. Couldn't believe how warm it still felt. 

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy and thundery.
1 hour ago, Dangerous55019 said:

Morning o’fellow heat haters. 👋🏻🥵

Another day in the eye of Sauron’s dissecting gaze, and I just want it all to go away! 

Another day of feeling drained and washed out due to virtually no sleep whatsoever! 

There are people out there who claim that they can cope with the heat! If you’re one of them then I have nothing but admiration for you. But for those who claim to enjoy it… I’m sorry but they must have some form of mental aberration! 

I’m sorry but this is nothing more than a living hell! This is summer at it’s absolute worst!! 🥵

I spent all day making sure my hubby  daughter and sooty were ok, getting ice, drinks and handing out re-cooled towels.  Had a nap ( which i plan to do later) but it was awful.

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extremes n snow

Well, slept properly  and the temps dropped to 15.9 overnight which was far lower than expected. The records may not fall.....!!

One more hot fart to go

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cool and quiet; snow can be nice too

Slept downstairs using my weighted blanket as a mattress. Actually got hours plural, albeit not enough.

At this point, in South Wales, it looks like I may have dodged a bullet, as opposed to my mum near Mansfield who's going to be getting the absolute worst of today.

But. One of the reasons I'm a heat hater is how often any hot spells end with thunderstorms, which for me as an anxious autistic person with excessive sensitivity to light and sound is... not pleasant.

Genuinely scared. 😞

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Observations and extreme events.

My partner is currently in Lanzarote and they’ve had just 28C… I’d take that right now. Might consider relocating to the Western Isles if this is the future for the SE… 🥵

Although do find it fascinating how the UK climate has changed, just in my lifetime. The kids at work (younger than 30) don’t believes that growing up as a teenager in the 80s in North Yorkshire, anything over 25C was a talking point for everyone!

• Like 1

Posted

Hot here last night, not as hot as inland, but still above our comfort zone. Managed to get some disturbed sleep, awake about 5.15, so decided to face the day. Went for my daily bike ride about 5.30, was surprised to see signs of instabilty in the clouds (see picture in Yorkshire and East England group), but otherwise had that haze which means you just know its going to be hot.

Bin men were out doing the outlying farms and houses, we got a message last night to say they were starting really early and to put your bin out last night.

Looking better tomorrow, but Sunday looking hot again, just hope the forecast changes as we get closer.

And to cap it all we have a wasps nest under eaves at the front. Declared war last night, first battle was a 'winning draw' to me. Bug screens keep them out the house, but being a bungalow you run the gauntlet every time you go in or out. Got stung which is when we realised we had a problem. Trouble is I cant get at the actual nest as its behind the sofits, I would have to rip them off.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heat, thunderstorms and snowy or frosty winters
8 hours ago, Don said:

Windows now open with fan going full pelt in bedroom, so hopefully I will at least get a little sleep tonight!  Considering opening up the loft hatch too as someone on here advised.

Good idea but I would be too conscious of stray arachnids crawling on me in the night, I don't mind spiders at all find them quite fascinating just wouldn't want to share a bed with one 😆

• Like 2

Posted
7 minutes ago, Row w said:

Good idea but I would be too conscious of stray arachnids crawling on me in the night, I don't mind spiders at all find them quite fascinating just wouldn't want to share a bed with one 😆

Make a bug screen to fit in the loft hatch. You can get the plastic fine mesh off Amazon for about a tenner. Either use the Velcro solution for fixing that comes with it, or make a light weight wooden frame that fits in the opening. We have bug screens at our windows as well for the hot weather, stops us getting insects in.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Very Cold, Very Snowy

Well last night was torture. Firstly I have the window open in January.....secondly in spite of other symptoms having retreated,  Covid has made my throat feel as though I have swallowed bleach. So tossing and turning in the heat whilst in agony with my throat.  Going to try again shortly. 

Edited by Climate Man
  • Like 5

Posted
2 hours ago, Frigid said:

Did anyone actually sleep.., I dozed off around 2 and just woke up. Slept for 5 hrs the night before.

I had about the same amount. I was awake until 2 as I was feeling sick. So I was lying there with a bottle of warm water in one hand and bowl in the other!

Any way I was ok once I dropped off. I was sooo exhausted as we had had a really heavy weekend too so I was really tired. I woke a few times. Noisy outisde with window open so closed it. Woke up to bedroom at 28c. It's already risen to 29.

Too hot on school run already. I felt baked in the hot hair dryer! I'm dreading going out later ...

• Like 2

Posted
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield

Woke up midnight noticed the temperature outside was lower than in the house. Opened the windows fell asleep and the temperatures rose outside bringing warmer air into the house Grrrrrr.

Temperatures going up faster than Musks Space X

• Like 2

Posted

I did sleep 5 or 6 hours on the the sofa downstais ,   but I took a sleep aid ,  a couple of sominex pills , not great having to rely on pills to get sleep . maybe I would have dozed off anyway, but I was taking no chances,  felt a bit groggy but coming round now, after a nice coffee ...or two,   now lets have the cold front sweep in later this evening !    Should a little btter tonight ,  this filth is nearly over ,  for now 

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, Snowy Weather
On 17/07/2022 at 15:22, Gray-Wolf said:

Well, I took the plunge & am in my hammock resplendent in my  Kaftan...

I thought , with so much material, it had to be warmer but No!.....deliciously cool (& a nice breeze blowing through the Trossachs...)

Morning to President Dami and all Members of the H.H.P.

Hope I find yourselves and your Families well and coping with this disgusting heat. 

Unlike Mt Tugendhat, this Tom is hanging in there!!

Morning Gray Wolf, can you play a Bouzouki and have a high pitched voice?

Just said to 'er indoors [Cobra Colette], if this heat is to be the norm now, think I'll get myself a Kaftan, as well.

We could earn ourselves a bit of extra dosh. by doing impersonations of this 'fella:

But give the Lovely Sunny Day a rest, Demis.

Can we have a bit of Our Friend the Wind, to blow this disgusting Weather, away: 

Regards,

Tom. 👍 😓

Edited by TomSE12
  • Like 4

Posted
1 hour ago, *Stormforce~beka* said:

I had about the same amount. I was awake until 2 as I was feeling sick. So I was lying there with a bottle of warm water in one hand and bowl in the other!

Any way I was ok once I dropped off. I was sooo exhausted as we had had a really heavy weekend too so I was really tired. I woke a few times. Noisy outisde with window open so closed it. Woke up to bedroom at 28c. It's already risen to 29.

Too hot on school run already. I felt baked in the hot hair dryer! I'm dreading going out later ...

I'd been at work- 7 hours in temps in excess of 33c indoors! I had my magic fit flip towel round my neck the whole time! Thoroughly recommend them if,like me, you're not great at regulating your body temp. Anyway,I slept like a log despite having windows open, which is really unlike me. Woke up with a headache and feeling sick, so think I've got a touch of heat exhaustion. Luckily only working a few hours today. Fit flip will be my friend again!

• Like 2

Posted
15 minutes ago, Frosty hollows said:

I'd been at work- 7 hours in temps in excess of 33c indoors! I had my magic fit flip towel round my neck the whole time! Thoroughly recommend them if,like me, you're not great at regulating your body temp. Anyway,I slept like a log despite having windows open, which is really unlike me. Woke up with a headache and feeling sick, so think I've got a touch of heat exhaustion. Luckily only working a few hours today. Fit flip will be my friend again!

Awww sorry you were feeling sick too 😞 That's 2 of us! Not heard of fit flip ... Will take to Amazon! Thanks!

• Like 2

Posted

I slept a little bit better than expected. I arrived back from holiday in the Channel Islands yesterday so the house was all locked up and windows closed for over a week. It felt cooler in the house than expected so I left all the windows closed and curtains drawn all day.

When I went to bed, I put on some white noise sound of the sea and tried to convince myself I was on a beach somewhere warm (I can sleep for hours on the beach in the heat! 😀)

Maybe a bit of mind over matter, but is seemed to work ( a bit)!

• Like 4

Posted

Yay the heat seems to have peaked here. 35.7℃ in my sheltered garden. It has levelled off in the past hour and I can see cirrus cloud moving toward my location

• Like 2

Posted
3 hours ago, NorthernRob said:

The kids at work (younger than 30) don’t believes that growing up as a teenager in the 80s in North Yorkshire, anything over 25C was a talking point for everyone!

I have prepared this chart, it highlights just how much the UK climate has warmed since the 1960s

image.thumb.png.1691f31637718e2df70441ac46c51127.png

What is significant is taking 34c as a threshold between 1960 and 1998 it was only exceeded twice, in 1975 and 1976, from 2002 to 2020 it was exceeded 9 times. The last year with a sub 30c maximum was 1993, but during the period 1960 to 1981 there were 10 sub 30c years. Thats the proof that I need to state, 'Summers were not as hot when I was growing up'

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe frosts, Heavy snowfall, Thunder and lightning, Stormy weather
16 hours ago, TomSE12 said:

A very good early Evening to President  Dami, and fellow members of the H,H,P. [Heat Haters Party[.

Myself and my Wife, had the pleasure of hearing tiny whirring feet, this Morning. More on that, in a short while.

This is the obscene scene,  from a short while ago. But the Dew Point temps are reflecting that the air, is still pretty dry at the moment:

image.thumb.png.c40eccbb92e0dfa37b2957c6400eb77b.png image.thumb.png.fbaaa2a5cf2e1fd5275bdd8609418e00.png

Our local Recording Station of London City Airport [7 miles to the North of Lee], is currently recording a temp. of 34c, and a Dew Point of 9c.

I fear this is going to look a little different, Tomorrow!!

Yesterday Evening, yet another Female Forecaster threw her hat into the ring, in an attempt to rid the Country of this disgusting Weather.

Step forward, Ms image.png.8bb15fa34f0007c229d8a01480f37a0a.pngSusan Powell. Ms Powell put together a very convincing case, and should she prove to be correct, surely is worthy of a Damehood, and I propose she should join, Dame Helen of Chester, Dame Laura of Northampton and our own Dame Jo of Norwich, in becoming Dame Susan of Wellington [Hereford]. Below, is Ms Powell's evidence to support her candidature, with added Synoptic chart.

Ms Powell looked suitably attired, in what began as a "Dante's Inferno" of a Forecast but then produced this game changing, Cold Front:

20220718_165513.thumb.jpg.6391e4343d921d9f8b8a7d694c266134.jpg

Which then led on to this, much more pleasant viewing for all Members, of the H.H.P.:

20220718_165611.thumb.jpg.d7493f56b9a149960f60acff457fa9cb.jpg

Rumour has it that Mr Ben Rich has also thrown his hat into the ring, in a bid for a Knighthood, this Evening.

Hurry up Mr. Rich, I'm running out of "Virtual" Honours!!

As I stated at the start of this Post, myself and my Wife were treated to the sound of tiny whirring feet, this Morning

Our English Rose of a Pedestal Fan, Pet [Petuna] - image.png.309499a0eb889707d72ce35bd11ef91a.png]

gave birth to this little Sweetheart - image.png.3429f8cdbf885f0c31265b22b8c33041.png

who has been christened, Tulip the Turbo Fan. I didn't realise that Pedestal Fans, had such a short gestation period, all of two Days, to be precise. It's only been 3 Days since Pet has been left alone with Fab [Fabrizio Fan]:

image.png.1212ea66054d95fe86061d8a25236ed1.png

Although getting on in Years, Fab is still obviously virile enough, for Fatherhood.

Both Fab and Pet spent last Night, flirting and oscillating towards each other.

But I'm a little concerned for the wee bairn, her Parents have already given her a tattoo on her forehead, which says "Honeywell".

I blame her Mother Pet, who also has a tattooed forehead, hers depicts a crown.

I've told a little Porkie of course, little Tulip was in fact delivered by a kind Lady from Argos, and not by the Pedestal Fan, Midwife.

Got woken up from my Afternoon nap, by my Wife sprinkling me with cold water, insisting that I put a cold, wet flannel on my head and getting me to dip my toes in a  bowl of cold water,

Colette is really taking this National Emergency seriously, so much so, I've given her the nickname of Cobra Colette.

Cobra Col, has just dished up a delicious Summery meal of sliced chicken, cold new potatoes, coleslaw and beetroot.

It's all part of Cobra Col's new healthy regime, which has resulted in both of us losing a Stone in weight over the past 6 Weeks, which should have resulted in both our B.M.I [Big Muncher's Index], coming down.

Apologies for this irreverent nonsense, probably a bit of heat exhaustion.

Think I need to go and get my cold, wet flannel!!

Regards,

Tom. 👍 😓  

Good morning Tom and Colette and all members of the Heat Haters Club.  I find it hard to keep awake as feel so sleepy throughout the day. I am wearing my multicoloured bathing costume to keep cool and I have two fans on. One fan is a desk fan and the other one is a floor fan.  The living room is in semi darkness  as well my bedroom and bathroom.  All indoor doors are kept open and I have plenty of bowls water for Simba my cat.  I have water bottles in the freezer filled with water and waiting to get cold enough for me to drink.  I have a large bowl (pudding dish) for strawberries and yoghurt to eat.  My analogue barometer pressure has been falling since last night and now is pointing northwards to Changeable weather.  I hope it will fall even further.  The unitary authorities of Thurrock and Southend and the whole of Essex have received a yellow warning of thunderstorm and hope it will bring copious amounts of rain.

• Like 1