Thunder?
Local
Radar
Hot?
IGNORED

Model Output Discussion - Autumn arrives

Message added by Paul,

Please double-check the contents of your post before hitting submit to make sure it is model related. For general discussion about the weather this autumn, the Autumn 2022 - Moans, Ramps and Chat is already very active, so please head over there.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...
50 minutes ago, snowsummer said:

So is it actually possible to get a polar low in summer? Or even early autumn? Ive  been on the learners pages ( yet again!) as i was very confused by marks earlier post. 

Unusually cold air needs to overlie relatively warm sea, I think.🤔

Edited by Ed Stone
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: severe storms,snow wind and ice

Here is an artical from wiki explaining what a polar low is(sorry to derail the thread but this needs nipping in the bud so to speak)😉

640px-Sea_of_Japan_polar_low_2009-12-20_
EN.WIKIPEDIA.ORG

As for the models i do not see a polar low in either the 00z ECM nor on the 06z gfs but quite the opposite with plenty of fine weather with the azores high link up to Scandi with Iberian trough to our south in the short turn then Azores high reteating back W/SW  into the mid Atlantic with shallow troughing over Scandi in the mid to longer term,...still fine by this stage but a tad cooler as upper winds veer from west to NW

610day_03.thumb.gif.f2fc3207d9d93e8acdd6bd51a2422870.gif814day_03.thumb.gif.44dcb13c348dc2d120e401e03084865c.gifeps_z500a_nhem_41.thumb.png.debe00a6a8a7b472b19b30f644f8bb53.png

enjoy the rest of your day folks🙂

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: All

Fair play to the BBC, as early as a fortnight ago they were on to the secret weapon the French have been employing to warp the jet stream. Looks like they’re at it again, in evidence again on the 06z GFS op for day 10. Staying pleasantly warm in the UK and Ireland into early September too. 

19C412BD-D738-487A-82E5-C57E23EBA1D7.thumb.jpeg.b777cb38001bfccf7f76427b562f31eb.jpeg CF457D25-B8E9-4F81-9FE3-A8D7F7408BD2.thumb.png.197c4d8f3d18217d7bc7ac139656ebb4.png 20AB943F-0110-4250-8445-2F5A4CD22C06.thumb.png.a20ecda1a4d70bf5c5347dc0e6e50725.png

Still, hardly in the spirit of entente cordiale from a national broadcaster. 

• Like 8

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: The Actual Weather ..... not fantasy.

wetterzentrale seems slow uploading... only on t72...

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm summers, Snowy winters.

@Cambrian Very plausible

Edit: Sorry should say more, due to the jet stream forecast.

Edited by Stuie W
  • Like 1

Posted
17 hours ago, seb said:

Extremely narrow band of rain tomorrow. Difficult to model.

Latest UKV leaves me and areas east of here almost dry as does Arpege. ICON has the band even narrower but largest amount right over me. ECM wants a soaking of a large area and is very much out of line with what’s showing on other models. GFS  has lower amounts than most but over a wider area but matches UKV regarding the Eastern extent, leaving East Kent as good as dry.

Looks like UKV and GFS were on the money. Unless there’s quite some shift east, we will once again remain dry or get trace amounts here and East of us. Nice to see some distant lightning to my West and SW though.

Posted

No meaningful rain on GFS until well into FI for large parts of the country (8 Sep) and even that leaves large parts of the S&E drought areas with just trace amounts.

Edited by seb

Posted
1 hour ago, seb said:

No meaningful rain on GFS until well into FI for large parts of the country (8 Sep) and even that leaves large parts of the S&E drought areas with just trace amounts.

Well there's plenty in the south east at +0 !!

Picture1.png

Posted
6 minutes ago, KTtom said:

Well there's plenty in the south east at +0 !!

Picture1.png

Well, we have had a grand total of 0mm as of 8:15am and the same applies for everywhere East of here, including large parts of Essex, Suffolk and Norfolk.

Posted

A good inch recorded this morning on my state of the art weather station here near kings lynn, and still pouring down

PXL_20220825_075549926.jpg

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Posted

Conflicting comments on rainfall. For the far east of E Anglia, Essex and Kent the Net Wx radar suggests you will get rain today, how much is another matter.

Turning cooler as that rain band clears east but still respectable temperatures for late August for many away from the far NW?

• Like 1

Posted
9 minutes ago, johnholmes said:

Conflicting comments on rainfall. For the far east of E Anglia, Essex and Kent the Net Wx radar suggests you will get rain today, how much is another matter.

Turning cooler as that rain band clears east but still respectable temperatures for late August for many away from the far NW?

Rain seems to just fade out by the time it gets here in Colchester, barely enough to damp the dust down so far. I was rather hopeful looking at the radar earlier and from what was modelled/forecast that we may get a decent amount, but... Not so sure now. 

Edited by SnowBear
  • Like 2

Posted
33 minutes ago, johnholmes said:

The sharp border  to no precipation has basically not moved East in three hours. We have had literally one minute of drizzle that didn’t even wet any surfaces.

The latest UKV has an area of measurable rain just about touching my location around 1PM before everything moves into the North Sea.

However, based on live radar and just how much narrower the band of rain is over the channel and into Northern France compared to earlier, I’d bet on it skirting the Eastern parts you mention (and which have stayed dry so far) to the West before exiting. It would need quite some development on the Eastern side of the band to avoid that and so far I haven’t seen anything that would set that off.

74335B60-FFF4-483C-A448-858320C7CA37.png

Edited by seb

Posted
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet

GFS and Euro both try to drop a trough over/west around day 7/8.

image.thumb.png.b27d7ec5b14e8db1a5896af9d7d16682.png

image.thumb.png.1b7ba818bcdc7cc5a53bff7690728bf8.png

GFS does try back the trough west for a few days though.

Posted
  • Location: Saltdean,Nr Brighton,East Sussex,Hither Green,SE London.
  • Location: Saltdean,Nr Brighton,East Sussex,Hither Green,SE London.
6 minutes ago, Mark Smithy said:

Goodness me:

1817469270_Screenshot2022-08-25at14_04_11.thumb.png.fcd70b5fc251a1492163d643d68c5b84.png

If this was winter this place would be in meltdown: 

2005980955_Screenshot2022-08-25at14_04_31.thumb.png.ce80508fc4db0eae2baa1fe024a04cc1.png

😂❄️

And why do charts like that never come off in winter itself?! 🙄

Highly unlikely to come off as shown now either!

Can't remember the last time a chart like that verified as shown.

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: The Actual Weather ..... not fantasy.
13 minutes ago, sunnijim said:

Highly unlikely to come off as shown now either!

Can't remember the last time a chart like that verified as shown.

probably march 2018, and the beast from the east.. ?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!
3 hours ago, Mark Smithy said:

Goodness me:

1817469270_Screenshot2022-08-25at14_04_11.thumb.png.fcd70b5fc251a1492163d643d68c5b84.png

If this was winter this place would be in meltdown: 

2005980955_Screenshot2022-08-25at14_04_31.thumb.png.ce80508fc4db0eae2baa1fe024a04cc1.png

😂❄️

And why do charts like that never come off in winter itself?! 🙄

too aggressive PV over greenie area, will not happen until April when PV starts to go