Thunder?
Local
Radar
Hot?
IGNORED

Model Output Discussion - Autumn arrives

Message added by Paul,

Please double-check the contents of your post before hitting submit to make sure it is model related. For general discussion about the weather this autumn, the Autumn 2022 - Moans, Ramps and Chat is already very active, so please head over there.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: All of it!
1 hour ago, Don said:

Can I just clarify that my earlier post was merely indicating that it's interesting to watch for signs in autumn that the atmosphere is behaving differently to the norm which 'might' (and only that!) be an indication that a different winter could be on the cards?!  I know this is something Gavin Partridge keeps an eye on at this time of year.  I'm not saying anything out of the ordinary is happening at the moment either with the outlook very typical October.  Anyway, I hope this has cleared things up! 

There’s no science in Gavin P’s commentary, it’s purely just that. 

I agree though, that we’re experiencing a different autumn to that of previous years, and the models are looking interesting for early cold.  Certainly worth being aware of.  

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Posted
29 minutes ago, jon snow said:

The Gfs 12z operational, albeit changeable, doesn’t seem as unsettled.. or cold as some previous runs?..and ends rather anticyclonic!.. to me, I’m not fussed about early toothless cold, I want cold at the business end of the process, when it actually delivers the goods.. in winter! 😱😜🧐😯🤨

AEFBC639-087C-4493-9341-E01BE83C392E.thumb.png.ed845db1a6eef07cd2c3fd878ce0d981.png

If it ran further it would see the high kicked NW and a cold northerly. The trigger that runner low to the north of Iceland, trajectory SW into the main trough. All conjecture.

Edited by damianslaw

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...
1 minute ago, jon snow said:

For those who don’t like unsettled..or cold.. 🧐😜…P23 GEFS 12z ain’t bad longer term innit!! 😉… joking aside, it could just as easily be an Indian summer in the second half of October as something unseasonably cold! 😱😯 …I say, save the cold Synoptics until it can actually deliver something meaningful!…anyone agree? 😱 

B5B7F3FE-72EA-468E-B1E1-4884ECFA8E7E.thumb.png.dff082150fda9515a41a3ad14198ca98.png

But, Karl, most of the outlooks look like being cold and miserable -- chocolate teapot territory?😬

• Like 6

Posted
2 hours ago, Beanz said:

There’s no science in Gavin P’s commentary, it’s purely just that. 

I agree though, that we’re experiencing a different autumn to that of previous years, and the models are looking interesting for early cold.  Certainly worth being aware of.  

Thought I would add an unscientific comment, and say based on natures ability to even the field I would say after a pretty mild and dry winter, spring and summer you would if a betting man say the odds are good for a cold above average precipitation winter to come. Like I say totally unscientific though. 😃

LO

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: All of it!
15 minutes ago, Lincs Observation said:

Thought I would add an unscientific comment, and say based on natures ability to even the field I would say after a pretty mild and dry winter, spring and summer you would if a betting man say the odds are good for a cold above average precipitation winter to come. Like I say totally unscientific though. 😃

LO

True that, one of the fascinating, or frustrating, things about the weather is we still haven’t really nailed the science when it comes to forecasting longer range.  That’s what keeps us all hooked eh? 👍🏻

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms frost snow heatwaves

Like the Gfs and Gefs I certainly don’t think one can rule out the distinct possibility of things settling down somewhat again beyond mid-Oct as the 12z Ecm seems to be following a similar route by day 10. An area of high pressure over Central/Southern Europe to possibly link up with that high in mid-Atlantic would be quite a plausible outcome. A notable feature this year in particular after all has been for any unsettled looking Fl charts to be completely watered down closer to the time and this in all probability will produce a similar outcome. 

Could contain:

Edited by Newberryone
  • Like 3

Posted
2 hours ago, jon snow said:

For those who don’t like unsettled..or cold.. 🧐😜…P23 GEFS 12z ain’t bad longer term innit!! 😉… joking aside, it could just as easily be an Indian summer in the second half of October as something unseasonably cold! 😱😯I say, save the cold Synoptics until it can actually deliver something meaningful!…anyone agree? 😱 

B5B7F3FE-72EA-468E-B1E1-4884ECFA8E7E.thumb.png.dff082150fda9515a41a3ad14198ca98.png

Yes as long as they actually turn up and deliver at the right time!!  The latest Met Office monthly forecast does not hint at anything out of the ordinary for October.

Edited by Don
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm and dry, or very cold. See my profile for model trivia
2 hours ago, Newberryone said:

Like the Gfs and Gefs I certainly don’t think one can rule out the distinct possibility of things settling down somewhat again beyond mid-Oct as the 12z Ecm seems to be following a similar route by day 10. An area of high pressure over Central/Southern Europe to possibly link up with that high in mid-Atlantic would be quite a plausible outcome. A notable feature this year in particular after all has been for any unsettled looking Fl charts to be completely watered down closer to the time and this in all probability will produce a similar outcome. 

Could contain:

Our trough could peel away to the southwest after a few days, maybe kick some milder air back up behind it to mitigate its trail of chill..?

image.thumb.png.e93b3a2e34b2d61cd8493e42ef593037.pngimage.thumb.png.3c9d26d68fd598f0ab268e2a7128d6d7.pngimage.thumb.png.7302751f852864a75fa46d6f405fc272.pngimage.thumb.png.b5aa1cd07d1fc6e9288edbf273548f51.pngimage.thumb.png.ab578c41186d2031cda5d0393361a137.png

Beyond that, the Met Office day 16-30 outlook has kept the following wording for four days now...

image.thumb.png.bcd6c114e42026776fa75e440d60fe97.png

Beginning in that timeframe and continuing beyond, a plurality of ECM ensemble members apparently demonstrate (Scandinavian) blocking...

image.thumb.png.d17704d2d449c42e3997a4ff4970ea70.pngimage.thumb.png.163e1aa094c6203fc051a1ecc9e0d756.pngimage.thumb.png.17064fbd1617e0ac1b68bb9d2346f7be.png

Edited by RainAllNight
Added GFS 18z screen grabs
  • Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: The Actual Weather ..... not fantasy.

Interestingly, these charts dont support the current ops after next weekend. Theres no high pressure around for the uk here (only to our west) ... Usually when theres conflict between the ops and these anoms, these are closer to the outcome - but not always.

814day.03.gif

• Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot, cold!
1 hour ago, mushymanrob said:

Interestingly, these charts dont support the current ops after next weekend. Theres no high pressure around for the uk here (only to our west) ... Usually when theres conflict between the ops and these anoms, these are closer to the outcome - but not always.

814day.03.gif

Been plenty of op runs that have a significant atlantic ridge beyond day 9 or so recently, it looks much more likely to me than a UK high.  Yesterday’s GEM 12z at T216 the most extreme, going right up to Greenland:

ECF28534-9D53-4F83-BB74-5C53F0AA218F.thumb.png.78db61675bad61fd90c4ef4b3bc8009b.png

Interesting to see this sort of amplification continuing to show in the models as we move into mid autumn.  

Edited by Mike Poole
  • Like 7

Posted
9 hours ago, Cambrian said:

Ah, the pub run - it’s been a while. Mind you, it’s been a while since the pub run has done a totemic pub run. The 18z GFS op (clearly off on one) does away with all that nonsense cyclonic stuff of day 7 quickly enough and by day 11 or 12…

F4252297-9D03-40F0-B97A-455163A352C4.thumb.png.beff67b0887d03ea4e31059a8966b791.png  

October heat spike alert!! 😱 🥵

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...
1 hour ago, Don said:

But... Two earlier years that saw heat-spikes in October were 1978 and 1995 ... (My memory of 1969 is getting rather hazy!). And the rest, as they say, is history!👍

• Like 5

Posted
1 hour ago, Don said:

Both GFS and ECM toying with a significant heat surge after next weekend. 

• Like 3

Posted

Typical, the cool spell watered down and now a heat surge showing up on the models. Still in the unreliable but knowing how warm spells are played, they almost always come to fruition. 

• Like 2

Posted
1 hour ago, Ed Stone said:

But... Two earlier years that saw heat-spikes in October were 1978 and 1995 ... (My memory of 1969 is getting rather hazy!). And the rest, as they say, is history!👍

Yes indeed! 😉

19 minutes ago, Frigid said:

Typical, the cool spell watered down and now a heat surge showing up on the models. Still in the unreliable but knowing how warm spells are played, they almost always come to fruition. 

That's 2022 for you!  However, the Met Office have not really been on board for anything out of the ordinary to occur this month either.

• Like 5

Posted
On 07/10/2022 at 18:21, jon snow said:

The Gfs 12z operational, albeit changeable, doesn’t seem as unsettled.. or cold as some previous runs?..and ends rather anticyclonic!.. to me, I’m not fussed about early toothless cold, I want cold at the business end of the process, when it actually delivers the goods.. in winter! 😱😜🧐😯🤨

AEFBC639-087C-4493-9341-E01BE83C392E.thumb.png.ed845db1a6eef07cd2c3fd878ce0d981.png

mind you they are saying things  could get interesting  in  early  november   if they are  right  we  could  be in for a very cold spell  then

• Like 3

Posted
9 hours ago, tinybill said:

mind you they are saying things  could get interesting  in  early  november   if they are  right  we  could  be in for a very cold spell  then

Who are "they"?

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: The Actual Weather ..... not fantasy.

Still looking a lot cooler and stormier then what the ops are suggesting... mean upper flow sourced from Greenland isnt mild!

610day.03.gif

• Like 6

Posted
25 minutes ago, mushymanrob said:

Still looking a lot cooler and stormier then what the ops are suggesting... mean upper flow sourced from Greenland isnt mild!

610day.03.gif

Quite a pronounced ridge of heights to the west, looks cold and cyclonic for the UK, with the wrap around heights to the north, interesting set up against the usual zonal grain we see in October.

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Seasonal and interesting weather including summer storms and winter snow
35 minutes ago, mushymanrob said:

610day.03.gif

Yes the closest to the anoms is the ukmo for day7...

1468373311_h500slp-2022-10-09T095710_014.thumb.png.0a8ddf997d15c1a6bb0096dc183e468d.png

GFS and ECM 0z have the low bit further north and go on to develop a kind of west based nao with higher pressure to the se and thus milder temps..

1579423943_h500slp-2022-10-09T095820_419.thumb.png.0bfd6c31b671f17be18dd38bdcbbc53a.png

1739591919_ecm500.168(3).thumb.png.5e4c5ab8dce00c78945e42537ac959dc.png

Interesting to see how this plays out...

• Like 7