Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Autumn 2022 - Moans, Ramps & Chat

Posted
9 hours ago, Coldilocks said:

If people on this forum had to the power to control UK weather, we'd have 30c+ all spring/summer and 20c+ all autumn/winter.

Oh no we bloody well wouldn't!! 😒

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold weather lover and heat hater
2 hours ago, damianslaw said:

Its been a very westerly/south westerly month so far, which favours eastern parts sunshine wise.

Exceptionally sunny in the Midlands as well, most days it's been wall to wall 

• Like 1

Posted
11 hours ago, Coldilocks said:

If people on this forum had to the power to control UK weather, we'd have 30c+ all spring/summer and 20c+ all autumn/winter.

Noooo!! I want snow!! Don't say that ...

• Like 2

Posted

Thinking the warm atlantic SSTs are injecting quite a bit of heat into the atmosphere intensifying the rain despite lack of marked temp contrasts on marked frontal features or low pressure. All feels more summer like rain... than autumn, still October is a very wet month here. 

Edited by damianslaw
  • Like 1

Posted
19 minutes ago, damianslaw said:

Thinking the warm atlantic SSTs are injecting quite a bit of heat into the atmosphere intensifying the rain despite lack of marked temp contrasts on marked frontal features or low pressure. All feels more summer like rain... than autumn, still October is a very wet month here. 

Yes and surely this will have an impact on winter?!  Sorry, I know I'm beginning to sound a little obsessed!

Not been a particularly wet October here so far.

1 hour ago, *Stormforce~beka* said:

16c outside at this time of night! That's positively tropical almost!

I would call that pretty tropical in mid October!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Clear blue skies!
4 hours ago, reef said:

October is turning out to be exceptionally sunny in this neck of the woods. We just hit 102 hours today. The 1991-2020 average for the entire month is 108 hours and the record sunniest was 144 hours!

For the year we're up to 1751 hours, compared to the 1991-2020 average of 1599 hours and the record sunniest of 1842 hours back in 2003.

Even if November and December were equal to the dullest on record, we'd still finish on 1812 hours.

A remarkable year for dry, sunny weather.

It has also been a largely decent October here in the South East too. We're on about 87 hours or so of sunshine but i'm really surprised somewhere further up north where you are, is getting more sunshine than down here in the South East!

• Like 1

Posted
11 hours ago, SunSean said:

It has also been a largely decent October here in the South East too. We're on about 87 hours or so of sunshine but i'm really surprised somewhere further up north where you are, is getting more sunshine than down here in the South East!

Its to do with the timing of fronts I think. On more than one occasion we've had a weather front pass over in the early hours and clear by sunrise. Further south has been stuck with the same front for most of the morning/day so less sunshine.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer > Spring > Winter > Autumn :-)

Not a bad October here either. Only 8mm of rain so far, and plenty of sunshine. All of this will change after midweek, but staying on the mild side.

• Like 1

Posted
1 hour ago, *Stormforce~beka* said:

19.1c!! 😮

Was going to say the same. It could literally be a summers day out there today, it feels so nice and warm. 19.4c 😎

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot, dry & sunny

What a horrible night, 17°C outside at 2AM and very humid.

This is the worst type of weather for me, and unfortunately it looks unlikely to dip below 10°C for the foreseeable future. 🙄

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine and 15-25c

here comes winter 🤮

Could contain:

• Like 3

Posted

Another very nice day here, pity I couldn't get out and enjoy!

Edited by Don
  • Like 2

Posted

Looking at the foreseeable, October 2022 likely to go down as a wet mild one with limited settled, or cold weather, or stormy here at least. All a bit humdrum.. roll on November, shake things up please. 

Edited by damianslaw

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heat, sun and thunderstorms in summer. Cold sunny days and snow in winter
1 hour ago, damianslaw said:

Looking at the foreseeable, October 2022 likely to go down as a wet mild one with limited settled, or cold weather, or stormy here at least. All a bit humdrum.. roll on November, shake things up please. 

Sounds like different people have been having different experiences with this October, all depending on location.

Here in the Midlands, it has been fairly dry for much of the time (though there were a couple of wet days earlier in the month). There has been a plenitude of sunny days with temps near or just above average. Some fairly warmish days (for the time of year) this week, before a transition to more unsettled conditions and average temps.

Overall, it certainly hasn't been the most interesting of months so far. I have noticed that we seem to get more action from around the time the clocks go back.

Edited by Weather Enthusiast91
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snow, thunderstorms, warm summers not too hot.

Had a decent amount of rain over the last few weeks on the Pennines which has really helped the reservoirs where we get our water from here in Oldham. They were only around 30% full which is very unusual. Average is between 60-70% at this stage in Autumn. Hopefully more rain to come over the next few weeks. Get that over with and then hopefully it'll be a proper winter for a change!

Edited by Frost HoIIow

Posted
1 hour ago, Weather Enthusiast91 said:

Sounds like different people have been having different experiences with this October, all depending on location.

Here in the Midlands, it has been fairly dry for much of the time (though there were a couple of wet days earlier in the month). There has been a plenitude of sunny days with temps near or just above average. Some fairly warmish days (for the time of year) this week, before a transition to more unsettled conditions and average temps.

Overall, it certainly hasn't been the most interesting of months so far. I have noticed that we seem to get more action from around the time the clocks go back.

Last week of October typically brings first stormy conditions of the season, atlantic revs up, more often than not its mild, some years exceptionally so.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Don said:

The pattern needs to shift if we are to see something more interesting later in November and December.  For the time being, mild it is! 

Yes it’s already becoming a bit concerning for us coldies. I know it’s still October but yes this pattern we are stuck in needs to shift. By now myself was expecting some cold incursions starting to happen but no. To make matters worse most of Europe is still mild and we do not want to see this going forward. It’s very frustrating but we are stuck with this spinning low over us for some time. I am going to give it another 2 weeks to see if there is any improvement in the shift. You just get that deep low feeling when you look at that Euro high slug the spoiler of many of our winters. As you have said we need something to change now in the coming weeks if December is to bring us any joy believe me it’s needed to take us away from the misery economic situation we are in.

have a great day 

regard 😊

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Enjoy the weather, you can't take it with you 😎
13 minutes ago, E17boy said:

Yes it’s already becoming a bit concerning for us coldies. I know it’s still October but yes this pattern we are stuck in needs to shift. By now myself was expecting some cold incursions starting to happen but no. To make matters worse most of Europe is still mild and we do not want to see this going forward. It’s very frustrating but we are stuck with this spinning low over us for some time. I am going to give it another 2 weeks to see if there is any improvement in the shift. You just get that deep low feeling when you look at that Euro high slug the spoiler of many of our winters. As you have said we need something to change now in the coming weeks if December is to bring us any joy believe me it’s needed to take us away from the misery economic situation we are in.

have a great day 

regard 😊

There's plenty of time for cold. It's only Autumn. Let's enjoy some late warmth before the cold really bites us☺😱😱😱

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold winters and cool summers.
39 minutes ago, E17boy said:

have a great day 

regard 😊

I have to disagree with some of the comments as the colder incursion was the second half of September being the coldest since 2012 and many cold winters have occurred after a mild/warm pattern across Europe. 1978, 1984, 1995, 2009. Many cold autumns have been followed by mild winters: 1974, 1992, 1993 etc. I really don’t believe there is a correlation to autumn weather and the following winter weather. If there was, we’d be able to predict weather far easier. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Posted

Just heard the local radio station give a weather forecast for this afternoon saying blue skies, but with a bit of a chill in the air. Are they mad? It's 18c and clear as a bell with a gentle breeze. Beautiful.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: windy

If the models are accurate for the next 10 days there'll probably be flooding by the end of next week. I seem to remember a different pattern but a similar rainy period at the end of last Oct with the 27th - 30th being pretty much constant rain.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm-by-day sunny thundery summers , short cold snowy winters.

The clag associated with that low seems to have already reached here, blocking the sun out - despite earlier forecasts that it wasn't supposed to arrive until later tomorrow. I guess that might be it for fine weather for this month now, if the charts are anything to go by.

Certainly looks like the fourth wet, potentially very wet, October on the trot.

Edited by Summer8906
  • Like 1