Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Autumn 2022 - Moans, Ramps & Chat

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow in winter,warm sun in summer!!!!
1 hour ago, KTtom said:

Bet that went down well 🤣

Indeed , was only stating the facts 

• Like 2

Posted

Met office have several times in the past in recent years  mentioned cold and snow in their extended outlook, and it has never materialised, ended up what we have now endless rain, and not cold. 

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot

The hope of an elusive frost on Friday night looks to be increasingly faint. EC now has it overcast and mild for most. 

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heat, sun and thunderstorms in summer. Cold sunny days and snow in winter
5 minutes ago, Nick L said:

The hope of an elusive frost on Friday night looks to be increasingly faint. EC now has it overcast and mild for most. 

Frost is the new snow.

• Like 8

Posted
1 hour ago, Nick L said:

Better off winning the lottery at this rate for any "cold" weather here in England.

• Like 3

Posted
1 hour ago, Weather Enthusiast91 said:

Frost is the new snow.

lol that’s so true, people on the mad thread chasing a frost as any prolonged snowfall now appears so hard to come by in a warning climate 

• Like 4

Posted
29 minutes ago, Weatherman_93 said:

Are the mild winter enthusiasts in short supply on the forums? Feels like its just me 😀

I'm a 'switcher'. I used to love cold and snow, but one week in any Winter is enough, for me, these days.

Give me 16c and sunny days all through Winter please - not too much to ask, is it?🤣

Edited by Bristle Si
  • Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...
30 minutes ago, Weatherman_93 said:

Are the mild winter enthusiasts in short supply on the forums? Feels like its just me 😀

Well, standing by a window watching snowflakes fall is my #1 meteorological hobby (as all those 1960s' nights spent behind the curtains testify) -- but, as @Bristle Si said above: one week will do. Especially with all my money going, literally, through the roof!🥶

Edited by Ed Stone
  • Like 4

Posted
28 minutes ago, JoeShmoe said:

lol that’s so true, people on the mad thread chasing a frost as any prolonged snowfall now appears so hard to come by in a warning climate 

Or chasing cold rain, as temps feel more 'seasonal'🤣

• Like 4

Posted
23 minutes ago, Bristle Si said:

I'm a 'switcher'. I used to love cold and snow, but one week in any Winter is enough, for me, these days.

Give me 16c and sunny days all through Winter please - not too much to ask is it?🤣

Come for a holiday to the  Riviera of the north where only last week it was 19c and sunny at Lossiemouth. Speaking to an ex RAF pilot this week and he was saying that Kinloss and Lossiemouth airfields had the least days of no flying due to bad weather in the UK when he was workng there  in the eighties and nineties.  He remarked on Anglesey where you could  have  40 knot wind blowing thick fog across the airfield for days on end.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...
2 minutes ago, Bristle Si said:

Or chasing cold rain, as temps feel more 'seasonal'🤣

It's time we reclassified cold rain as 'wet snow' methinks!🤣

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heat, sun and thunderstorms in summer. Cold sunny days and snow in winter
42 minutes ago, Bristle Si said:

Give me 16c and sunny days all through Winter please - not too much to ask, is it?🤣

I'm the opposite. I used to really hate the cold (with the exception of when it snowed maybe) up until around the age of 25, but now that I'm in my 30s I appreciate and see the beauty in all weather types and all four seasons. And with cold and snow seemingly becoming rarer in the UK, that makes me appreciate it even more. And seeing as I now enjoy and appreciate seasonal weather, I am not interested in long periods of 15 Celsius temps in either January or July.

I used to despise those sunny but crisp days in winter as I'd look out the window and think to myself "what a beautiful day", only to then freeze my pants off when I go outside. But now, I love those days. ❤️

Edited by Weather Enthusiast91
  • Like 2

Posted
1 hour ago, Bristle Si said:

I'm not a switcher, but I very much enjoyed last weekend. Problem is anytime between Nov-Feb mild/warm days are almost exclusively linked with overcast conditions. The one glaring exception I can remember was the Feb 2019 very mild blast which had a decent amount of sunshine, at least down in the south anyways.

With that being said with the energy situation as it is, I'd perfer winter to stay in a fairly tight window this year and for us to not have a repeat of 2021, which would be a disaster for people's wallets.

• Like 2

Posted
6 hours ago, Nick L said:

The ambition of a frost free Autumn goes on.......

• Like 1

Posted
9 minutes ago, Sceptical said:

Met office not seeing much in the way of cold for the next 10 days.

Strong PV, expected to strengthen further.

No surprise to me, at all. And once it strengthens it can be hard to shift. Lots of energy coming across the N Atlantic - whooooshhh!! 

Doesnt UK weather have a wonderful way of, kinda, rebalancing itself? 

'O' and 'A' level geography - the UK has a maritime climate. For those who dont know, it means the prevailing Winter 'source' is the sea i.e. the Atlantic.

• Like 3

Posted

We had this discussion in a thread a few days back, all open to interpretation, what someone's cold is someone's mild and vice versa. I think when some people say 'cold' they mean sub freezing for days, which in the UK is always a very tall order to achieve. However, I'd call temps in mid single digits at this time of year between 5 and 7 maxes, as cold, and we are not that far off those temps in northern parts over next few days, so will certainly feel cold, and it is only mid-late November.

I did comment though on how often protracted very dry periods tend to be followed by very wet periods and vice versa, many occasion this has happened, have we entered a long wet period I wonder.. certainly has gone very unsettled past few weeks and wet. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spanish plumes & stormy winters. Facebook @ Lance's Lightning Shots

I've been absolutely loving this autumn. After a summer featuring a distinct lack of any actual weather, it's been great fun. It just needs a few powerful named storms to take it up to a 10/10

• Like 1

Posted
1 hour ago, ResonantChannelThunder said:

I've been absolutely loving this autumn. After a summer featuring a distinct lack of any actual weather, it's been great fun. It just needs a few powerful named storms to take it up to a 10/10

You would have thought we'd have some thunderstorms this summer after all the hot weather we've had, but just like with snow in winter a good summer thunderstorm seems to be getting rarer.

Edited by Weather Enthusiast91
  • Like 2

Posted

Not had any named UK storms so far, last year Storm Arwen arrived tail end if Autumn.

The outlook is unsettled but not stormy, the low pressure systems are too wide and slow moving, pressure gradients not strong. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warehamwx.co.uk
4 minutes ago, damianslaw said:

Not had any named UK storms so far, last year Storm Arwen arrived tail end if Autumn.

The outlook is unsettled but not stormy, the low pressure systems are too wide and slow moving, pressure gradients not strong. 

Don't forget, they don't just name low pressures due to wind speeds, but also rain/snow.