Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Drought Watch

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Seasonal and interesting weather including summer storms and winter snow
6 minutes ago, stainesbloke said:

Yes, established trees are generally very resilient. It’s the recently planted trees that will be suffering and dying in this drought. If anyone has any nearby them, please water them 🙏 

If you have young trees or shrubs that look as so they are struggling you can water them with grey water...water left over from washing dishes or oneself as long as you dont give this water to fruits or vegetables. I have been doing that with my hydrangeas and they look fine...

20220807_164454.thumb.jpg.d39f00a68b217f2bbc77b675d449d730.jpg

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...
5 minutes ago, minus10 said:

Yes trees are amazing lifeforms. They will use strategies to deal with changing conditions such as early leaf full or slow growth and because of the fungal network they are able to communicate...more about this is being found out all the time..thats why we add micro funghi to new plants when planting to encourage a stronger relationship between root and ground...droughts like any form of severe conditions effect the deseased/weakened trees/young trees more...healthy established ones can withstand it plus their roots go down a long way...

And don't forget the intricate mycelial networks that underpin the coexistence of trees, fungi and just about everything else in a mature forest? It took evolution 3.8billion years to set these systems up, and we can destroy them in a single day!

• Like 3

Posted

Don’t know if it’s already been mentioned but just reading various articles and watching latest news on TV 

Over 3 billion tonnes of water this year have been lost so far in this country due to LEEKS!!
Hose pipe bans won’t even touch the sides, yet more overhype, scaremongering government clap trap aided by media to put yet another catastrophic fear on the British public. 

Yes we could do with rain, just as we did in 2003 if not even worse - guess what - years of flooding and people losing homes due to floods post 03’

Just grab a watering can and your flowers will be fine!!! 

• Like 1

Posted
1 hour ago, richie3846 said:

I saw some small trees planted recently on an embankment in a Swindon country park, I think some of them are kaput.

Like a wind storm, a drought may serve to clear the way for the healthy.

There were millions of trees planted to apparently offset the carbon foot of the Queen's Platinum Jubilee. A small park near me had about 250 planted, I doubt 10 if any have survived. Its similar to when developers cut down mature trees and plant young saplings, the gesture is there, and probably because they have to to meet planning conditions, but many don't survive. 

These half heart efforts were planted in direct sun, land that is prone to dry out, and no plan to water or look after them afterwards. 

If you look at woods and forests trees don't have to try and grow in parched open land with man modified top soil barely spade depth, they grow in rich leaf mould and soil enriched by fallen trees, and often in the shade of others and so are sheltered until quite some decades old. These trees will live for hundreds of years. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Posted
12 minutes ago, SnowBear said:

There were millions of trees planted to apparently offset the carbon foot of the Queen's Platinum Jubilee. A small park near me had about 250 planted, I doubt 10 if any have survived. Its similar to when developers cut down mature trees and plant young saplings, the gesture is there, and probably because they have to to meet planning conditions, but many don't survive. 

These half heart efforts were planted in direct sun, land that is prone to dry out, and no plan to water or look after them afterwards. 

If you look at woods and forests trees don't have to try and grow in parched open land with man modified top soil barely spade depth, they grow in rich leaf mould and soil enriched by fallen trees, and often in the shade of others and so are sheltered until quite some decades old. These trees will live for hundreds of years. 

Yes there is a habit of developers planting single trees in the middle of a verge etc, not exactly ideal conditions for a smallish tree, shallow soil, lack of protection as you say. It's probably just box ticking to keep the council happy. A know a couple in a newish development where planted trees outside their house are fully dead, yet they aren't allowed to remove them. 3 dead trees, slanted over on a 45 degree angle is not my idea of a green environment.

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold winters and cool summers.

Crabapple tree on the side of the road of my apartment that was plentiful last year has completely died. Assuming its due to being planted amongst concrete, not being watered and of course the drought we're facing. Other trees seem to be doing... okay. The park out back our apartment, the trees are dropping leaves as though it was October. There'll probably be a fantastic display of colour on the leaves this year if anticyclonic weather persists and perhaps an early fall.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extremes n snow
4 hours ago, Polaris said:

Over 3 billion tonnes of water this year have been lost so far in this country due to LEEKS!!

Leeks can't be blamed for everything, the celery is also contributing.

Stopped at a pub in Bugbrooke on Saturday afternoon and there was a small river flowing down the road outside.

Apparently it's been reported on a daily basis for 2 weeks now. 

Edited by matty40s
  • Like 4

Posted
2 minutes ago, matty40s said:

Stopped at a pub in Bugbrooke on Saturday afternoon and there was a small river flowing down the road outside.

Had a burst pipe that has been since May sharing our houses and farm behind. 
Zero response from water board

But apparently turn our sprinklers off!! 

Media won’t report that though, it doesn’t fit their narrative!! 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extremes the unusual and interesting facts
11 minutes ago, matty40s said:

Leeks can't be blamed for everything, the celery is also contributing.

During the 1995 drought there was a similar fingerpointing towards leaks.Water companies stressed how much they were spending on leaks but nearly 30 years later nothing has changed.

• Like 1

Posted
4 hours ago, Polaris said:

Troublesome vegetables interfering with water supplies; who'd have thought, eh?🤣

Edited by Bristle Si
  • Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold snowy and frosty

Everywhere is dry and primed for fires so some idiot starts letting off fireworks around here, thick as 3 short planks nailed together some people are 🙄

• Like 6

Posted
23 minutes ago, Snowycat said:

Everywhere is dry and primed for fires so some idiot starts letting off fireworks around here, thick as 3 short planks nailed together some people are 🙄

We had the same here on the estate last night, I believe it was the pub on the corner who should really know better. 

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold snowy and frosty
15 minutes ago, SnowBear said:

We had the same here on the estate last night, I believe it was the pub on the corner who should really know better. 

Most likely the Park Hall Hotel.  They were told about the stupidity of fireworks back in 2018 when it was a very dry summer as they border farmland an ancient woods.   The management are always in trouble with councillors about something or other and always seem to be at loggerheads with the local residents.  

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heat, sun and thunderstorms in summer. Cold sunny days and snow in winter
3 hours ago, Snowycat said:

Another good reason to ban fireworks for sale to the general public.

I'm no killjoy, but unfortunetely there are far too many irresponsible people about who just love to show off and ruin it for others, as well as the environment.

Edited by Weather Enthusiast91
  • Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spanish plumes & stormy winters. Facebook @ Lance's Lightning Shots

A lovely midnight run on the GEM in terms of rain, but it's not in the reliable, and models are struggling with the breakdown of this heat. My bet is on another 'dry breakdown' 😞

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot
11 hours ago, Snowycat said:

We had some the other night in early evening (still daylight!) in Cheddington. The local Facebook group were not impressed! Apparently was to commemorate the passing of a loved one. I can think of far more responsible ways to do that!

Meanwhile, with virtually no rain looking likely for the next 10 days (it's pretty much Groundhog Day at the moment), we're looking at an astonishing 50 consecutive days without seeing more than 2mm in a 24 hour period. And just two days of rainfall within that period too.

On the subject of leaks, we've had one nearby in the road for weeks now. 

Edited by Nick L
  • Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold Snowy Winters, Hot Thundery Summers
8 minutes ago, ResonantChannelThunder said:

A lovely midnight run on the GEM in terms of rain, but it's not in the reliable, and models are struggling with the breakdown of this heat. My bet is on another 'dry breakdown' 😞

Yup, wouldn't surprise if at the end of this we somehow managed to get an anticyclonic north-westerly to push away the heat again...

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...
11 hours ago, Snowycat said:

All this talk of fires & eejits reminds me of a car-journey (MK to Bodmin) on 1976's August bank holiday, the day the heavens opened!

Mile upon mile of blackened verges, where tw*ts had chucked still-burning fags out of their car windows. Some peeps simply have not one iota of common sense!💩

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Seasonal and interesting weather including summer storms and winter snow
4 hours ago, Summer Sun said:

Good job we've not got any water shortages or anything. Oh. Wait...

Doesnt that just sum up the situation in this country....parched arid dry dust areas then kabooch...thousands of gallons of water going to waste again as a result of yet another burst water main...never mind the leeks! some party has been guilty of mass dereliction of duty to protect/safeguard the secure and safe distribution of our water supply...eh.....

Edited by minus10
  • Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot
1 minute ago, minus10 said:

Doesnt that just sum up the situation in this country....parched arid dry dust areas then kabooch...thousands of gallons of water going to waste as a result of yet another burst water main...some party has been guilty of mass dereliction of duty to protect/safeguard the secure and safe distribution of our water supply...eh.....

A resource as precious as drinking water should never have been left in the hands of the private sector.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Posted
3 minutes ago, minus10 said:

Doesnt that just sum up the situation in this country....parched arid dry dust areas then kabooch...thousands of gallons of water going to waste as a result of yet another burst water main...some party has been guilty of mass dereliction of duty to protect/safeguard the secure and safe distribution of our water supply...eh.....

To be fair many water main burst during hot weather are caused by ground heave, especially in clay areas. You can try and prevent, but you won't prevent all of them. 

This one in London may be the result of a number of reasons, perhaps older pipes, drying clay under London itself, plus working and reworking of roads and paths by cable companies, gas, electric and so on. 

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, Wind, Sunny, Warm, Thunderstorms, Snow

By the end of this week it will have been at least 2 months since we have had decent rain in Exeter, all I recall since then are 2 very very brief light showers, not even enough to wet the ground.  Grass everywhere is a golden colour and some trees have started to drop their leaves.  I don't mind rain next week but I'm hoping it's nice for me week off the very end of the month!!  I'd be gutted if the weather decides to change by then and go unsettled

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extremes the unusual and interesting facts
2 hours ago, Nick L said:

A resource as precious as drinking water should never have been left in the hands of the private sector.

Without getting into politics i would largely agree.The difference is private companies have to make money to provide funds for those that invest in the company and on the whole that is more cost effective as the alternative is Public owned where politicians decide how to spend it and just end up squandering money on a biblical scale.Such a shame we cannot have a system which is public owned but the government set on some savvy businessmen.

• Like 1